Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Random idea: Advanced Wars TPS. 100 vs 100.

I'll let everyone criticize it then explain how I'd get it to work.
    If you are referring to 100v100 Multiplayer, good luck with managing the bandwidth.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    If you are referring to 100v100 Multiplayer, good luck with managing the bandwidth.
    Well, It would probably work best on computer.

AND the controls and gameplay I have in mind are quite simplistic. It promotes coordination with teammates more than individual actions. U are just one cog in the machine.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    With 100 vs 100, the maps would have to be so huge in order to allow some objectives to be completed outside of a total free for all or deathmatch game mode. I honestly would not want to run across a map as huge as that.

Wait advance wars like turn based combat? Turns in that game already last way too long.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    naw he said TPS, so I'm guessing 3rd person shooter.

!?!?!?

Maybe he meant battalion wars then

Fenn
    Think Advanced Wars vehicles, and Battalion Wars gameplay except your allies are not commanded, but other players. If you're a tank, you have a cannon and machine gun. Artillery fires mortars and you have to stay still to shoot. Anti-Tanks are slow but can shoot like both an artillery or tank. I even had the idea of being able to use a Rig, and letting players resupply teammates as well as deploy and command a squad of infantry or mech troops.

I'm actually making a build on Gamemaker right now of a top-down mini-version. I'll post it soon, although at this stage all it will be is moving little stand-in sprites of a tank, recon, etc. and hitting targets.

And 50 v 50 might work better. That was the unit count max in Advanced Wars after all.
    Last edited by Fenn; 08-24-2011 at 10:34 PM.

mmorpg?

You will million of problems with that:
    -Host.
    -Map Size.
    -Players Killing their own team.
    -First time players.
    -Communication.

And many others.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    mmorpg?

You will million of problems with that:
    -Host.
    -Map Size.
    -Players Killing their own team.
    -First time players.
    -Communication.

And many others.
    I have no idea where the mmorpg came from, but let's break that list down:

Host (Netcoding)
    Is indeed going to be quite the challenge, the sheer amount of data that is being sent and received per player per update is bound to be huge, not to mention the fact that you'll want to include some server-side processes to prevent client-side cheating. It can be done (look at Novalogic's Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising).

Map Size
    Need not be that big of an issue. Provided that proper techniques are used to take some of the load off of the memory units. Perhaps by seperating several parts of the map by portals that switch players between sub-arenas (this could have a good impact on netcode performance as well).

Player's killing their own team
    No one can really stop griefers like that. What you can do is implement booting code and game rules to minimize the likelyhood of this happening.

First time players
    I feel that this is more of a personal hatred issue against newbies than a real problem, but anyways:

It's the developers responsibility to introduce new players to the basics of their game, if they fail to do so, word-of-mouth communication will likely cause the success of this game to fall. It is NOT impossible to properly introduce players to the game and minimize 'damage' caused by newbies.

Communication
    This might be a problem with player count going up to 100 (200 depending on which path you're choosing). Netcode will have to manage additional data being sent in either text or audio format (causing an increase in bandwidth requirements). You'll probably end up having some severe screen cluttering (using text messaging or soundclutter from audio messaging) unless you isolate messaging capabilities to smaller player squads within a team. This however, might end up breaking team play.

A way to solve the communication's issue is by using built in messaging menus.
    For example: Player presses V -> Opens up a menu ->Player selects "Support"->Message notifier is sent to server and through server to all clients->Notifier causes built in message event to fire, causing an audio message to play and a nav pointer to be posted at the player's location.

And Many Others
    Yes, there are many hurdles to overcome. But at the moment I can't be bothered to think of any. Making the game with the parameters you gave us is not impossible though.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    I have no idea where the mmorpg came from, but let's break that list down:

Host (Netcoding)
    Is indeed going to be quite the challenge, the sheer amount of data that is being sent and received per player per update is bound to be huge, not to mention the fact that you'll want to include some server-side processes to prevent client-side cheating. It can be done (look at Novalogic's Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising).

Map Size
    Need not be that big of an issue. Provided that proper techniques are used to take some of the load off of the memory units. Perhaps by seperating several parts of the map by portals that switch players between sub-arenas (this could have a good impact on netcode performance as well).

Player's killing their own team
    No one can really stop griefers like that. What you can do is implement booting code and game rules to minimize the likelyhood of this happening.

First time players
    I feel that this is more of a personal hatred issue against newbies than a real problem, but anyways:

It's the developers responsibility to introduce new players to the basics of their game, if they fail to do so, word-of-mouth communication will likely cause the success of this game to fall. It is NOT impossible to properly introduce players to the game and minimize 'damage' caused by newbies.

Communication
    This might be a problem with player count going up to 100 (200 depending on which path you're choosing). Netcode will have to manage additional data being sent in either text or audio format (causing an increase in bandwidth requirements). You'll probably end up having some severe screen cluttering (using text messaging or soundclutter from audio messaging) unless you isolate messaging capabilities to smaller player squads within a team. This however, might end up breaking team play.

A way to solve the communication's issue is by using built in messaging menus.
    For example: Player presses V -> Opens up a menu ->Player selects "Support"->Message notifier is sent to server and through server to all clients->Notifier causes built in message event to fire, causing an audio message to play and a nav pointer to be posted at the player's location.

And Many Others
    Yes, there are many hurdles to overcome. But at the moment I can't be bothered to think of any. Making the game with the parameters you gave us is not impossible though.
    Yeah I don't know where the RPG half of that came in. This is good advice though, let's see how I could handle these issues...

Host: Minimize the amount of data being sent as much as possible is all I can think of. Like I said, the game is simplistic itself: each player has parameters for HP, Gas, and Ammo. Controls are no more than move, shoot, and a utility button that differs by vehicle. Graphics would be artfully simplistic.

Map Size: Will not be to scale. If you've played any Advanced Wars title you would know that the overview map, like in most strategy titles, is scaled down. In this way, the vehicles would also be proportionally large to buildings, forests, etc. The maps WOULD need to be rather big, but not as big as some of you might be envisioning. Keep in mind I would like to keep battles focused on 1 or 2 areas, not spread across the map.

Team Killing: You can't hurt your allies in Advanced Wars. So you couldn't on this game either.

First-Time Players: Tutorial? Instructions?

Communication: I actually didn't plan on using text chat. In my experience, unless players are friends or a clan, when playing online communication is inefficient for strategy building. Plus it's time consuming in the heat of battle.

What I wanted to try was a "wordless teamwork" concept. One button selects an enemy as a "priority." The more players select this enemy, the greater that enemy's priority becomes, and more players are likely to target that enemy. If you're playing as a rig, allied gas and ammo is displayed above their vehicle when running low, so you know who needs support. I also love the idea of squads, since a "unit" in Advance Wars is actually a squad of 5 in most cases. Being able to form up, like how you "join" units on the real game, and work together would be great. And if players are really into it they can use a third party chat client.

Thanks!