Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I wouldn't use GameMaker if you want to make something completely serious and intricate. It's possible, for example: Battleships Forever, Dark Verse, Hover Tank 3D. But they usually suffer from -something- because well... it's gamemaker.

It's just highly accessible, which is why it's so popular. Unity seems to be the thing now for people who're trying to get serious about it.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Unity is 3d, though, and it's still a development suite rather than an API. I want to use an object-oriented language to program the thing and not use a development suite. For numerous reasons, not least of which being that integrating a development suite with Steam is hard as fuck. However, I don't want to go so low-level that I'm accessing the graphics hardware directly, which is why I'm not going to learn OpenGL or DirectDraw. Allegro is a good middle-ground that'll give me increased control and speed without having to deal with the nitty-gritty of hacking the Windows interface or writing my own graphics buffering functions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

More programming like a real man. Successfully chopping up a font tileset and loading it into memory as part of the roguelike stuff.

Last edited by Delphinus; 05-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    So wait, can I post sprites here if I don't want them in my art thread? (Even though they aren't currently going to any one game in particular.)
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

um if it's legit game dev then yeah

Resolved problems with memory allocation resulting from my slightly lacking understanding of pointers (new map*[3] not new map*; the latter causes an overflow when you try to allocate a new object to map[2]). Also resolved problem with the program failing to compile properly due to my path having space characters in it. Wrote out a cleverer and more efficient program structure, complete with class definitions and a brief overview of the pointers I have to pass to various objects for them to perform correctly.

I have come a long way since I started learning C++ at 14/15.

EDIT: When the engine for this game is ready I'm going to release it as an open-source resource. It should make programming roguelikes much easier for the inexperienced, so if any of you guys who prefer design or graphics to programming ever want to make a roguelike, you'll have the Delibrary available.

EDIT2: This is a ridiculous line of code.

PrintCharacter(tiles[map->GetTile(x,y)->id]->GetGlyph(),((x-map->GetViewX(0))*16)+screenX,((y-map->GetViewY(0))*16)+screenY,tiles[map->GetTile(x,y)->id]->GetForeground());

EDIT3: Which has been erased in favour of the shorter, but equally ridiculous:

PrintTile(((x-map->GetViewX(0))*16)+screenX,((y-map->GetViewY(0))*16)+screenY,map->GetTile(x,y));

EDIT4: The lighting in the roguelike. It looks beautiful, but treats my memory like a fat kid with a supersize big mac.

Last edited by Delphinus; 05-27-2012 at 06:43 PM.

So I decided to start using unity. It's actually pretty rad and easy to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

I'd love to get into Unity if I'd ever use it for anything. Buuut since I'm not game designing anymore, meh.
    Sy told me you made something pretty cool with it though.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

So my game is p. much

"I'm a cube that can move."

Mountains.

"Lol mountains get outta my way i'll just use you to fly."
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

<My comic