Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

Fenn
    Can I post a link to YoYo Games (the Game Maker host site) and the GM game I created if people want to try it?

idc

Fenn
    If anyone wants to try it: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/91013-customgun-demo#

Keep in mind, this was created primarily to practice designing a game from scratch using GML. There's no sound (when I tried the files ruins GM and I had to redownload it) and the graphics were handmade by me in Paint. It's nothing special but does have a cool upgrade system.

You need to download the player to run it on the website.

I'm surprise Kiiryu is not here O_o

I've tried Game making once, almost made a complete RTS engine using GM7, only the tanks can't moved if the destination is too far >_>

I've been debating whether I should start game making again, I have a few RTS ideas in mind atm.

Okay so here's a little mock up I've created based on an idea I have.

It's hardly fleshed out but its something I've been meditating on for a while. So here goes.

The player controls The Ranger (lame I know but obviously pending) who travels to dungeons and dangerous woods to rid them of anything that could harm civilization. The ranger exists on the outskirts of society but can enter towns for supplies and stuff, and to talk to dudes.

The overworld map will simply let you choose where to go, like a fancy menu on a map. Think the map from link to the past, and how you could teleport to key locations, but with each location being its own instance.

From here you have access to every area, except maybe some endgame areas and whatnot.

One area will be the town, or central hub. Ranger goes here to get items that help him survive. Arrows, and whatnot. There's also a smith that can help him make weapons.

Other areas will be dangerous spots. The goal here is to fight along until reaching the boss. Pretty basic oldschool platformer stuff. You'll be able to go about it in any order, similar to megaman.

STUFF THAT HAS YET TO BE DECIDED

Okay I kind of wanted this to be, in its own weird way, a demake of monster hunter mixed with megaman. So enemies would drop mats that you could use to make upgrades. The problem with this is why couldn't enemies just drop coins that you can use? OTherwise it becomes a grind. Even coins are inherently grindy.

What I probably will do is just have bosses drop some sort of material you can take to the smith who will give you an upgrade of some sort.

This is good because of a few reasons. For one, you can do self imposed challenge runs by simply choosing not to take upgrades. For two, it gives you a megaman-ish way of going about the game. Taking an upgrade that is good against one boss to give yourself an easier time.

This is bad because I won't be able to make puzzles based around specific power ups because you can come across them in any order. They'd have to be secrets, like an oldschool platform game.

UNLESS every area was persistant like demon's souls where you HAD to return later with certain abilities to completely beat a stage. This kind of destroys the challenge runs, and would inflate levels most likely but seems kind of fun.

Cmon somebody talk to me about this I need to flesh this out

Fenn
    accidental triple post...oops
    Last edited by Fenn; 07-25-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post

Okay so here's a little mock up I've created based on an idea I have.

It's hardly fleshed out but its something I've been meditating on for a while. So here goes.

The player controls The Ranger (lame I know but obviously pending) who travels to dungeons and dangerous woods to rid them of anything that could harm civilization. The ranger exists on the outskirts of society but can enter towns for supplies and stuff, and to talk to dudes.

The overworld map will simply let you choose where to go, like a fancy menu on a map. Think the map from link to the past, and how you could teleport to key locations, but with each location being its own instance.

From here you have access to every area, except maybe some endgame areas and whatnot.

One area will be the town, or central hub. Ranger goes here to get items that help him survive. Arrows, and whatnot. There's also a smith that can help him make weapons.

Other areas will be dangerous spots. The goal here is to fight along until reaching the boss. Pretty basic oldschool platformer stuff. You'll be able to go about it in any order, similar to megaman.

STUFF THAT HAS YET TO BE DECIDED

Okay I kind of wanted this to be, in its own weird way, a demake of monster hunter mixed with megaman. So enemies would drop mats that you could use to make upgrades. The problem with this is why couldn't enemies just drop coins that you can use? OTherwise it becomes a grind. Even coins are inherently grindy.

What I probably will do is just have bosses drop some sort of material you can take to the smith who will give you an upgrade of some sort.

This is good because of a few reasons. For one, you can do self imposed challenge runs by simply choosing not to take upgrades. For two, it gives you a megaman-ish way of going about the game. Taking an upgrade that is good against one boss to give yourself an easier time.

This is bad because I won't be able to make puzzles based around specific power ups because you can come across them in any order. They'd have to be secrets, like an oldschool platform game.

UNLESS every area was persistant like demon's souls where you HAD to return later with certain abilities to completely beat a stage. This kind of destroys the challenge runs, and would inflate levels most likely but seems kind of fun.

Cmon somebody talk to me about this I need to flesh this out
    Okay post just got deleted, must retype:

To solve ur dilema, you can have "power-ups" that are found and made a la Monster Hunter and simply enhance ur combat, and "upgrades" which are found in a predetermined location and must also be used to solve puzzles and clear the game. This allows you to also have "secret upgrades" which must be crafted like power-ups but also unlock hidden areas of the level (but aren't required to beat the main game). Coins could be required to pay the smither when crafting with mats.

Also i suggest an end-game dungeon or tower with tons of floors. Cliche, yes, but practical because it lets you continue to hunt for power-ups and use them post-story.

Fenn
    OKAY new idea, this one is a puzzle game. The theme is an intergalactic mining and resource facility.

Objects come down a conveyor belt, each with it's own shape and weight. You must place these objects in boxes, represented by a grid (probably 5x5 or 6x6). Once a box is filled, you click done. That box is converted into a square of a size based on how much stuff you put in it and where you put it. Potential idea: The boxes must then be placed on a cart, another grid, and shipped away. You are scored on time and using the fewest boxes.

Later on certain objects will have special properties. Radioactive materials must be kept away from other materials. Fragile materials must be placed in last. And other types.

Some modes will have a preset order of materials being sent down. Other modes will have random sets. Some orders will have few objects, others will have many. If you go too slow, the delivery line gets backed up and can eventually cause game over.

While I begin programming and spriting, any ideas, suggestions?

Fenn, don't take this the wrong way but seeing you post that made me realize that I shouldn't do it. Keep the feedback coming, though, I don't mean that in a bad way. Eliminating options is as important as coming up with new ones.

Fenn
    Fenn, don't take this the wrong way but
    Look, I said the triple post was an accident! I promise I won't...

seeing you post that made me realize that I shouldn't do it. Keep the feedback coming, though, I don't mean that in a bad way. Eliminating options is as important as coming up with new ones.
    Oh...well then no problem. I LOVE Game Design Theory, I could write you a book of feedback if you want. I'd just need more info about the game.

Also, a challenge to keep in mind with levels that can be played in any order is that they all must be (roughly) the same difficulty. Either that or have a difficulty indicator on each level.