Thread: Game Developers Thread

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    O_O
    FUCK YEAR THANKS
    YOU'RE SILLY GOOSE WELCOME! >: D

@ Handy333
    Nope. It's like using the standard BBcode

Anyone knows a good game-making software? That's good and worth the price? So far my choice is Game Maker. Only $40 (new price) but if you buy now it's only $25.

RenPy is free, but it's oriented to VN only. To make complex game you need a good knowledge of Python... and doing that means you already enter the world of programming, why use RenPy then?

RPG Maker costs about $30 to $60 (depending on what version you buy). Again, for RPG games only, and it's very inflexible, due to it's newbie-friendliness. I know you could use Ruby to add more complexity, but it's same case with RenPy.

The Game Factory 2/Multimedia Fusion 2/Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer cost from $75 to a whopping $350. It's very simple to use but that means it's also very inflexible. And it's good to make a platform/adventure games only.

IG Maker costs $60 (from original $90), and it's pretty good too. But again, it's very inflexible and only good to make side-scrolling shooter game and platform game.

Unity is free, but it's a 3D game-making software hence it's very difficult to learn and perhaps the development cost could be a bit steep for an indie game developer (or if you make game just for hobby/free). Unity Pro costs about $1500.

There are several other free software, but I found it too difficult to learn or unstable or even unfinished (or could be combination of all).

So anyone knows other good software?

I use game maker but portability is really bad. You can make games for windows, and mac (but only if you own a mac? its really weird), and apparently for ios but I don't know how that's done yet.

IGmaker I couldn't get to run on my machine but 8Bits Fanatics uses it and he makes some really badass games so I guess that's an endorsement? You can also use it to make XBL Indie Games so that's a bonus.

Forget that, I'll upload a youtube commercial. Besides, I already started on it.

Fan made remakes of terrible games, plus or minus?
    Last edited by Handy333; 04-30-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Handy333 View Post
    Forget that, I'll upload a youtube commercial. Besides, I already started on it.

Fan made remakes of terrible games, plus or minus?
    Minus. Why would people be interested in a fan game of a terrible game? <_<

Plus -- terrible games are the best games.

What if the game is very popular like mario hotel and was remade like really good and there was a youtube video of it.

Plus I love everything bad in video games, Dan Hibiki, Pichu, Mr. Game and watch, all outcasts!

Okay I was inspired by the winnitron and I want to make a really simple arcade game. Here are the basic guidelines.

-Should be incredibly easy to explain (ie yelling the rules at somebody in a noisy arcade)
    -Should have some sort of "pressure" so that players cannot play forever, thus not letting other people play the game
    -Should be quick, like something you'd play inbetween classes.
    -Should be easy to grasp since a typical arcade machine wouldn't have a dude there to explain the game to you.

I know I want to make a wuxia game. I just don't know what kind yet. So far I have made two little dudes that can fly around and perform attacks. Flying is somewhat tricky because if you go up too sharply, you lose control of the wind and fall. This is intentional so that staying afloat is a practical skill to master in-game.

Other than that Iduno. Would a competitive game be more fun than a cooperative game? Should the game be about collecting stuff?

I'm open to ideas. I just need some inspiration.

Also just for fun I gave all the attacks ridiculous wuxia names.

Player 1

B -- DRAGON CATCHES COLD
    UP+B -- HEAVEN PIERCING DRAGON SPINE
    DOWN+B -- INEXPENSIVE MURDER FERRY

Player 2

B -- TIGER'S BLOW DRYER
    UP+B -- TIGER STABS THE SUN
    DOWN+B -- 6 THOUSAND FALLING APPLES

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    You could just pull an Earthbound and have your dad ask you to kindly fuck off every time you call him to save. No, dad, i don't WANT to stop playing, k?

u should have to collect golden cups