Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

Ying Yang Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    As it turns out I don't need to restructure my code, but I probably should. I'm kinda starting to clog up this thread with my posts - would anyone read a progress log if I made posts say once a week?
    *peeks out meekly from behind a high ledge*

..I would.

Okay Fenn I'll make a blog when I'd do my next update and you can follow it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Ying Yang Member
    Okay Fenn I'll make a blog when I'd do my next update and you can follow it

Yay. I'm pretty much self-taught in game design and only know Game Maker, so I'm hoping reading how someone else does it will help me get better.

Or maybe I just want to live out my developer's dreams vicariously through someone else. Could be either.

Play Game Dev Story.

Are you in college, Fenn? I think most colleges offer something in the way of game design if you're not a self-teaching type.

Ying Yang Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Play Game Dev Story.

Are you in college, Fenn? I think most colleges offer something in the way of game design if you're not a self-teaching type.
    That is certainly an option for me, but since it's not currently a career path for me it needs to fit in with the rest of my life. I am going to learn programming this year (a real coding language, not GML), so that's a start.

^ If you want to learn a 'real' programming language I recommend either Java or C#, they're pretty commonly-used mid-level languages. C++ is what I program in, but it's a bit of an outdated language, and its only real benefits are its 'purity', its speed, and its ability to use pointers. The problem with using pointers is that they're difficult to understand and use and they can easily cause memory leaks if you're not really careful with them.

In the long run it doesn't really matter what you use, because once you have a solid grasp of one language you can generally pick up any others in a week or two.
    Last edited by Delphinus; 08-25-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Ying Yang Member
    In the long run it doesn't really matter what you use, because once you have a solid grasp of one language you can generally pick up any others in a week or two.

I really want to learn. I am interested in gaming developer. It would a great opportunity for me. Now a days i am free and i want to learn gaming development. Can you give me some suggestion about developing? How can i learn this?
    Last edited by Jasonaa; 09-29-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Okay convince me you're not a bot first.

Have you guys seen that game maker suite what do you think.

I think I'll stick with the thing I don't pay a ton of money for. Though it does look pretty cool, and if I was really serious about development and had a team, I'd probably get it.