Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality and ethics: what are your values and why?

Speaking of....there's a thought-process question I heard.
    On an island, there are 5 survivors. In order to survive for the next few days, one of them has to be killed and eaten by the others. So all of them decide upon a fair method which involves writing down all their names on pieces of paper and drawing lots. One person backs out and wants nothing to do with the others or the system. But the rest of them put his name anyway, and when they draw one, it turns out to be the person who's backed out. So they kill him and eat him. Later they were rescued and the story comes out. Should the four people be convicted or acquitted?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Convicted. It reeks of The Lord of the Flies.

I think this thread was made before =/

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Convicted. It reeks of The Lord of the Flies.
    It might have been taken from that. Or based on that. It was given as a topic to my friend's team in a debating event they attended.
    I'm going to read the book. Just downloaded it.

If a village burn someone because they though it was a witch, they should go to jail for that (a entire vilalge)?

Remember than ethic and moral are made by the people-

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    ^^^
    That reminds me of another story: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.

And also did actually happened.

@Rio - The Lottery was one of the most disturbing stories I've heard. I didn't actually read it, but I've seen the story posted all over the place. One of the bands I used to listen to actually made a music video of it.

My personal code is pretty much just try my best to be a good person, and be patient until being patient is no longer appropriated. I slip now and then and am a total bitch, but who doesn't have those moments?

@Saphira's proposed situation: CONVICTED. That should be an absolute last resort. I mean, after a single day they're already ready to kill someone? If they had been stranded for months and it was now winter and all the natural resources are buried in snow, then I can see how that could be necessary, but you don't need to kill for food after a few days and anyone that would is probably a psychopath anyways.

@Matt: You should invest the ten minutes and actually read the story, it's very short and worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    @Saphira's proposed situation: CONVICTED. That should be an absolute last resort. I mean, after a single day they're already ready to kill someone? If they had been stranded for months and it was now winter and all the natural resources are buried in snow, then I can see how that could be necessary, but you don't need to kill for food after a few days and anyone that would is probably a psychopath anyways.
    Well, the fact that have to kill to survive is an established fact. But the conflict comes in because the one who backed out doesn't take part in any of it - putting in name, or eating or anything. So he's going to die anyway. Instead the other people killed him earlier so that they could survive. If any other person's name were taken, two people would have been dead. But then any man, for whatever reason, doesn't have the right to take another man's life.