Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality and ethics: what are your values and why?

Fenn

Morality and ethics: what are your values and why?

This started when Delph and I got off-topic in Kodos' religion thread (sorry bout that). The main topic is: what values, morals, and ethical codes do you uphold, and why?

Feel free to critique and question other people's ethics, but remain respectful, logical, and avoid mindless insults, lest I call the mods.

I'll post my morals when I have time. Anyone else can begin in the meantime.

I believe that if you are not denying or restricting other innocent (read: non-murderers) peoples' rights and liberties for your own personal gain (i.e. date rape, rape, torture, murder, unlawful imprisonment) you are fine. In other words, if you don't hurt people, you have no reason to be rightfully hurt.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Morals and ethics? I never really question that like...ever. All I know is don't do stupid shit and stupid shit won't happen...ok it still will. but less frequently.

Yeah, how you define that "stupid shit" is where your code of morals and ethics comes into picture. Stuff like murder, and rape shit like that is obvious. But there are loads of other smaller finer things which is confusing and can be right to one, and wrong to another.

I have a pretty strict set of rules that I only break if it would be really funny to do so.

I start to question right and wrong when I asked my mother one day
    There are people who live in tribes, in places we have never been, but they don't believe in God and don't do anything wrong. Does that make them bad?
    She said yes. Which doesn't make much sense ._.
    Morality and ethics is difference between good and bad, so how do you know whats good and whats evil?

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I have a pretty strict set of rules that I only break if it would be really funny to do so.
    example please

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    You only have to follow what you think are right and wrong to the best of your abilities at that time.

The way I see it, there's two parts to this. The first part is your own morals and ethics but then there is the broader one which is enforced by society as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    example please
    I can't really think of anything tbh

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I can't really think of anything tbh
    I was gonna try to think of an example and be like would you do this then but I cant think of anything either.

edit: Actually I just thought of something: If it really came down to it, would you punch a monkey in the face for comedic effect?
    Last edited by Hayashida; 04-19-2011 at 02:58 PM.