Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Anime you want a new season of or remake of

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    A new season of Samurai Champloo isn't really a selfish demand as you spend so much time delving into the backstories of Mugen and Jin that you kinda want to see WHERE they end up, as opposed to just assuming that they keep wandering. There's no closure.

Serial Experiments Lain.

That show would have benefited enormously from having a higher budget. It doesn't really need re-interpreting or whatever, just a quality upgrade.

Even the intro is quite obviously a budget thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Serial Experiments Lain.
    Not sure I agree with this. The quality was pretty standard for the time (1998), or at least as much as you'd expect from something so avant gaurde. I also think the intro suits the series really well in that sort of "distorted old VHS tape" way...

Just don't see what is worth changing, really. >_>

The quality was below standard for the time. The art is okay, but the animation is a bit jerky and there are numerous parts which use loops where a more complex approach would be better suited (e.g. the telephone lines should probably be using some sort of multiplanar effect with more layers than just the phone lines and the background). In the surreal sequences in the Wired, a more complex way of showing the flow of information would possibly be better suited than using shifting colours etc.

Because the internet is more like this than how Lain depicts it:

I guess you are right about the loops and stuff; Even Eva's legendary lack of quality rarely resorted to such shortcuts. They are pretty well intigrated, but now that you mention it, such things are obvious.

As for the reprosentation of the internet... I think reprosenting it so honestly would have completely killed the concept of the series. Think about what the series would have been like even if it used memes accurate for the time (All your base, the dancing baby, what have you...)

Lain's gaunt, cut-off stoic nature was really alot more true to what internet people tend to be like rather than the hermogeny of bizzare aspects they like to reprosent themselves with. So in many ways the rather blank, lifeless reprosentation of 'the wired' was more correct.

It's also worth noting that Video Girl Ai basically exactly what you are talking about several years earlier, at least in terms of reprosenting the multimedia aspects accureately.

Overall, what I'm trying to say is that I think Lain is what it is. Updating the graphics or making it more presentable would only ruin it IMO.

A completely new anime running with the same themes would be watchable that said, esspecailly if it was made by studio bones.
    Last edited by Regantor; 08-08-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Oh, I agree it would have killed the atmosphere of it if you'd just done all the memes and such straight. But you can play happy things in such a way that they become sombre and bizaare, and when that's done I'd argue it's even more effective than using such an abstract depiction of the internet. The happy things don't make sense if you remove them from their context and place them somewhere more odd. Lain's theme of innocence lost fits well with this.

The classic use of such things is with the broken children's toys, cots, creepy dolls, blah blah blah, but I guess you could really use anything.

EDIT: remove HIM from this, and imagine it without dialog. The chanting voices and sound effects with the silent adverts etc. are pretty close to what I'm thinking of

Last edited by Delphinus; 08-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Eh. I guess. But we are getting pretty subjective at this point. Those kinds of themes can either come across as pretensions or brooding depending on who is actually watching it. Don't think it would really improve things myself, but that is also subjective.

For example, compare the imagery of the original GitS movie-

...with the Stand Alone Complex series-

The first intentionally plays off of an uncanny valley feel for Major Matoko, whilst in the second instance she is very much portrayed as an attractive woman. Is the first one truer to life? Is it 'deeper'?... Sure it is, but alot of people don't like the first movie because it comes across as very obnoxious symbolism on the part of the director. Neither has much to do with the manga version, to make things worse.

My point is, sometimes it is better not to try and make a point of something if it has no actual use within the series' original aesthetic. At that point it's more of a 'reinvention' than a 'update'. Does Lain have enough going for it without it's original temperament and atmosphere? Personally, I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Regantor; 08-08-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Trinity Blood, I just think the ending could of been better...

D.gray Man, Murder Princess, and Mars Daybreak.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

nuff said.