Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime you want a new season of or remake of

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Have you ever seen it? It's brilliant, it just requires more than the 2 seasons it currently has to fully tell it's story. That the story can't be told in 24 episodes=bad anime is terrible logic.

No, is a fantastic and enough logic.

If a anime or serie can't be told in the amount of episodes planed, then the approach in the story as how was told was bad, making the anime bad, by the simple fact that was bad scripted.

By example, if a movie can't told everything in the amount of time it has, then the movie fails. The same goes to anime or tv shows, because they need to tell a story and they have a limit, that why the creatores and writters need to take the best approach to make use of this time.

A good serie don't need more time, because was told in a efficient and perfect way. Example: FLCL, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy bebop, and so.

As I understand the creators know how many episodes they're going to have to work with. Editing things for length is part of the art of film, and television.

In most cases yes, but not all. Situational problems can change the planned schedule and the outcome of the product, example: the source material for an adaption not coming out the expected time leaving no source material for the adaption forcing it to draw out what it has already, hindering it. Also often a 12-13 episode series alone isn't enough time to compress a longer story, meaning more seasons would be required to complete it, and if the first season is expected to be good, they can expect funds for a second, which isn't always the case.

Not to mention wanting a new season for a series, and a series needing one are two different things. Spice and Wolf's story needs another season to be complete, but it still stands as a great anime with the seasons it has, and MagiPoka is fine as is, since like many American cartoons it has no continuity, meaning another isn't needed, but it could add to the series and improve it further.
    Last edited by Arashi500; 04-18-2011 at 11:58 PM.

I'm not dealing in absolutes like clock is but I'm also not talking about a series being adapted from another source. I can get why that would mess up a schedule, but I don't necessarily think every comic needs to be animated. But that's for another thread. I'm talking about original animated features.

I'm working with a friend who study Cine, and with him we are most of the time writing stories to be filmed. The latest is a story that happens in a range of time of 2 weeks (we need to create the feeling of time) and is a horror type story (we need to attract the viewer). But the problem for us (as writers of the story) is that we have 20 minutes time limit of film.

Thats how us as creative and smart people (I like to think we are smart), we need to tell the story in a way that gave a sense of time and deepness. And if the story feels that "It needs more time", then we fail as a writers, and the story fails.

If a problem happens, the writers need to solve it. If the story is to long, the writers need to solve it. If the story has no thesis, then the writers need to solve it. Because if they don't, the story has failed.

FLCL is a complex and depth story, and was made in 6 perfect and glorious episodes.

Now, you can throw me Donnie Darko, a amazing serie but only in the dvd version the movie explained everything. This is not because the story was bad told. It was because the story was to complex, and the extra on the dvd was to make it easier to understand. Also in this case it wouldn't be considered a new season or a next movie (and to be fair the sequel of Donnie Darko is awful, and is awful because stupid people who though the story need more, did a sequel).

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Are you fucking joking?! That serie don't need more seasons, its fucking perfect just as it is.
    No. I'm not joking. The ending was freaking great but I can't help but wanting an extension.

I'd also like a remake of the Tenjou Tenge anime. It just didn't capture the feel of the manga. It's like they censored it. The manga is total brutal, but wtf is the anime doing...
    Last edited by GunZet; 04-19-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Obviously it's a problem for the writers of the show if it's an original animation, as opposed to an adaption, but a large share of anime are adaptions from either manga or light novels, and constraining the story to the new medium, garnering new fans via the medium, and appeasing fans of the original, all of which can conflict. The length or addition to a work doesn't automaticaly make it worse, nor does shortening it. FLCL IS a perfect example of how you can project an in-depth story in a short ammount of time, but the story itself is also relatively short. In short: The ammount of time it takes to tell a story is no indication of whether or not said story is bad.

It's kind of like saying you don't want any sequels to video games because the game is fine as is. A sequel does not ruin the pre-exsisting game, or it's story, just by being a sequel. It just adds on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    No. I'm not joking. The ending was freaking great but I can't help but wanting an extension.
    I can't see a reason for wanting a champloo sequel that isn't selfish. Can you tell me how the story could benefit from a sequel

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
    It's kind of like saying you don't want any sequels to video games because the game is fine as is. A sequel does not ruin the pre-exsisting game, or it's story, just by being a sequel. It just adds on to it.
    Games are fundamentally different why would you even say that. You can release a game sequel to refine mechanics, to balance gameplay, and to include new features. Not to mention an earlier game in the series is going to be held back by the technical limitations of the time. And it is completely possible for a game to make the previous iterations obsolete. I think you need a better analogy.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Speaking of remakes.... it seems like Rurouni Kenshin is getting one.