Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Ideas

Not really. A lot of shmups boil down to memorization and nobody gets upset about that. In japan they have a word for this type of game which I can't remember. Just games where you do it over and over until you get it right.

Nothing wrong with unfair platformers. If you're looking for something where you don't have to memorize stuff don't play them.

And I can't speak for every developer but kayinn made iwbtg as a practice game. Every room has a ton of shit going on that all needed to be programmed. It's not just levels with platforms.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I don't think SHMUPs work without the trial-and-error gameplay, though. I can't imagine them being challenging without that type of gameplay. If a SHMUP were randomly generated each time, it would have to be fairly easy to beat, otherwise it would be nigh impossible. Whereas platformers should have some method to them, like one of my favorites: Poyo

At first, the warping skill will hurt more than it helps. The game's difficulty curve works in a way that early levels are easy on the platforming aspects, but challenge the player to adapt to the game mechanics. As the player gets better at warping, the difficulty of simply adapting decreases, so the platforming difficulty is increased in proportion. It's a smooth transition, and there is an apparent method to the madness.

The method is what makes it "fair". Some games are just run and jump, with no real method, but the hurdles they make you jump are ridiculous for no reason.

That's fine but its not what unfair platformers are about. It might be hard to relate to people that find this kind of game fun but it goes against traditional game design and creates a fairly unique experience. I mean I know dudes that wasted quarters upon quarters on Dragon's Lair. Unfair platformers are for guys like that.

In this new age of gaming where we start to wonder what the point of "lives" are, you can afford to die over and over again and conquer a game due to sheer perseverance and its not a big deal. If it's fun it's good.

Also I don't even really see it as a trend. Aside form IWBTG and Aban Hawkings how many actual good ones have you played.

I've probably played 60+ indie platformers, a lot of them contest finalists and such.

That's fantastic cype do you have some examples

N, La Mulana, any platformer made by Ikiki minus Nikujin, any platformer made by Lazrael, the Jumper series, the Meatboy series, L'Abbaye des Morts, Tower of Heaven, Ninja Senki, Sword Calibre, Eternal Daughter, Gear World, Mighty Jill Off, the Punishment series and many more.

Most of these are famous in the indie community, too...their difficulty being one of the most commonly acknowledged features.

Almost none of those are unfair platformer just really difficult ones. Meatboy really?

I guess we're not reading each other correctly here. My definition of "unfair" is difficulty without a method ie. a game that forces the player to repeat levels over and over in order to win. Whereas there are platformers with methods--specific game mechanics--that, when mastered, can make the game significantly easier for you. These give the player a chance to avoid repeated trial and error attempts and instead use their mastery of game mechanics to lower the difficulty for themselves.

The games I listed were games with no such method. At best, Meatboy and N had walljumping, but that's hardly a method so much as it is compulsory. There's hardly a commercial platformer out there without some form of double or wall-jump.

Unfair platformers are called the because they are literally unfair. Like you won't get past the apple room in IWBTG the first time unless you know whats going to happen. Aban hawkins is unfair because traps pop up without warning.

Those other games are just balls hard. What your describing is just... I don't even know. Meatboy is the ultimate refinement of the platformer genre. It's incredibly simple but rewarding in its challenge. It doesn't need unique mechanics at all but it chooses to include them through secret character just for fun.

I don't know what you're asking for here. Are you saying every game needs some sort of gimmick that you can master?

Ideally, yes. Ideally, all games should allow players to master them.

When it comes to something like Meatboy, it's simply about perseverance. At the end, you haven't gotten "better" at the game, you just memorized it. I guess what I'm saying is: games shouldn't be a test of patience, but mastery of the mechanics. Games like IWBTG are just tests of how frustrated you can get before you quit.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 06-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.