Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Ideas

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    A game where you play as a guy playing a game where you have to work together. And the goal is to get everyone to work together as a team to beat the other team. If you don't, you lose.
    Except when you lose, the player's computer overheats and explodes.

A game where you scoop up children and put them in the back of an ice-cream truck. You have a quota of children to reach in a certain time and you earn bonuses for certain types of children - your 'employer' one day might prefer blonde-haired 4-year-old girls, another might want 12-year-old boys. You earn points that you can spend on upgrades to your van, like making it more attractive to the kids and attaching a larger scoop to grab more children at once. Later on though you get chased by police cars and have to outrun them while still collecting children. The aim of the game is to rack up the highest amount of wanted money before you get caught.

This seems like a cool idea to me, and its relatively simple gameplay has a nice arcade-like feel to it. Not sure about whether it might cause controversy though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Is not unfair actually, because if you don't like it you don't play it, if you like you do and if you are neutral you might like it or not (depending if the game is good). And also you need to think that this is a strategy used by companies, is not like I'm being anti-ethic, I'm just stating a strategy that is always used (remove the option for the consumers, and force them to what it left to sell).
    From a developer/industry standpoint, no of course it's fair It makes no sense, because they are hurting their sales just to promote a certain type of gameplay they consider "superior", but it's fair.

For you, another gamer, it comes off as a bit elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    If you want a one shot kill game play AA. It's a realistic game, this mean no over jumps, over speed, over endurance or anything that is beyond human capability. This force skills in the players but also makes the game extremely boring (if you don't like to die and have to wait to the next round).
    That's pretty cool but I do hate waiting. That's why I loves MK64 Balloon Battles: when you ran out of "health" (balloons) you got to drive around as a little bomb and attack other racers.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    A game where you scoop up children and put them in the back of an ice-cream truck. You have a quota of children to reach in a certain time and you earn bonuses for certain types of children - your 'employer' one day might prefer blonde-haired 4-year-old girls, another might want 12-year-old boys. You earn points that you can spend on upgrades to your van, like making it more attractive to the kids and attaching a larger scoop to grab more children at once. Later on though you get chased by police cars and have to outrun them while still collecting children. The aim of the game is to rack up the highest amount of wanted money before you get caught.

This seems like a cool idea to me, and its relatively simple gameplay has a nice arcade-like feel to it. Not sure about whether it might cause controversy though...
    *cough*newgrounds*cough*

Fenn
    I always wanted an online multiplayer game where you never die. The objective could be score the most points. And it has to have fully destructible environments, ridiculus ragdoll player physics, and a taunt feature.

Double Digits Member General_Marmalade's Avatar
    I've always wanted a fantasy game that has an expansive environment like World of Warcraft and something like an never ending story like WoW. It would have features from the Fable series...like, being able to buy houses and shops, NPC's interact you about your pass deeds(good or bad) And the choice through out the game to be good or bad and this affected your character, physically, socially and story wise. It would also have some things from the Witcher II.....the ability to have sex with NPC's or PC's lol.....so I guess this would be a MMORPG then...which I think would make it even cooler. Oh and it is as violent as the Witcher II aswell.......and thats my ideal game..

I think in several years, there's going to be a MMORPG game like that. I think we're just stuck because of technology (internet that fast enough to do all that). But I don't know about the sex thing... If it's just a marriage, some MMORPG already did that.

So basically you want Second Life: Fantasy Edition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    What's with indie developers and "too hard" games these days? Ever since I Wanna Be the Guy there is an increasing trend of too hard platformers and such. I've been playing a LOT of indie platformers lately and some of them are just plain unfairly difficult. And in a lot of reviews I read for non-commercial platformers, the difficulty is always noted. Most of the time, it's not even like it's fun and challenging, it's more "just grit your teeth and take it until you reach the end."

Now as much as I love difficult games, it becomes annoying when developers make games just for the sake of being difficult. If the whole game is built around just being a huge "fuck you" to the player, it's generally unentertaining. What is the mentality behind that, though? Does it give a game more "prestige" or notoriety to be extremely and unfairly difficult? Is it like some kinda bragging rights for who has the "most hardcore" game? I think it derives a bit from video game elitism, where a lot of people get virtual big balls for completing difficult games, and developers feed off that ego boost.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    What's with indie developers and "too hard" games these days? Ever since I Wanna Be the Guy there is an increasing trend of too hard platformers and such. I've been playing a LOT of indie platformers lately and some of them are just plain unfairly difficult. And in a lot of reviews I read for non-commercial platformers, the difficulty is always noted. Most of the time, it's not even like it's fun and challenging, it's more "just grit your teeth and take it until you reach the end."

Now as much as I love difficult games, it becomes annoying when developers make games just for the sake of being difficult. If the whole game is built around just being a huge "fuck you" to the player, it's generally unentertaining. What is the mentality behind that, though? Does it give a game more "prestige" or notoriety to be extremely and unfairly difficult? Is it like some kinda bragging rights for who has the "most hardcore" game? I think it derives a bit from video game elitism, where a lot of people get virtual big balls for completing difficult games, and developers feed off that ego boost.
    You're pretty spot-on. Since big-name devs have taken a turn towards the more casual side of gaming, I speculate indie devs are taking the opposite approach and trying to appease the challenge craving gamers. The issue is the method of difficulty. If the difficulty boils down to having to memorize the level, it's very artificial and less gratifying.