Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Ideas

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    OH, then I understand it wrong and I apologize.

Now that I understand the concept is still a bad idea. It force players to camp even more.
    That's perfectly fine, I wasn't sure how it would work TBH. Don't be fooled into thinking I've planned this idea for months; I like to throw things out there as they come to me. I have the feeling that if we were at a table with other devs at a concept design meeting, and I threw that idea out there, you (hopefully) would not have jumped up and yelled your previous post at me...

That being said I'm not sure how it promotes camping. If you camp, your rivals are going to kill the other team way faster than you will. Not to mention that the other team will go after your rivals who are acting easier to find. You basically pull yourself out of the game.

The whole goal of the mode is to reduce the uncontrollable chaos and luck factor of FFA matches in shooters by only having half the other players targeting you. Perhaps remove the reward for the top "team" since it's technically a FFA mode.

So basically Free-For-All Team Deathmatch where you must be the top scorer of your team.

Basically you're trying to get rid of team cohesion completely (something which is already apparent in COD games).

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    So basically Free-For-All Team Deathmatch where you must be the top scorer of your team.

Basically you're trying to get rid of team cohesion completely (something which is already apparent in COD games).
    On the contrary, I'm promoting it by luring away all of the "lone wolf" gamers who are currently infecting TDM, so you can enjoy team-based gameplay with others who used teamwork.

You don't get it. If the competence is to be the first in your team then working on team has no point at all. And even more camping and stilling others kills is going to be the main goal for every player.

I'm willing to bet this stimulation of egocentric behaviour in your proposed game type is going to carry over into TDM, making the lone wolf problem in TDM only worse.

Fenn
    You don't get it. If the competence is to be the first in your team then working on team has no point at all. And even more camping and stilling others kills is going to be the main goal for every player.
    Like I explained, it isn't really teams at all; I'm even going to stop using the term. It's more like "group of rivals." It's not supposed to promote teamwork; it's supposed to take an FFA game mode, where every player has his or herself in mind, and use the "rivals and targets" mechanic to lessen the randomness factor by reducing the number of players attacking you. It is not a replacement for standard TDM.

Kill stealing would definitely be an issue, but as I explained camping would not. If you camp, the four rivals you are competing against will find and kill your targets first, and no one will fall for your traps because they will prefer to go after your rivals who are out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    I'm willing to bet this stimulation of egocentric behaviour in your proposed game type is going to carry over into TDM, making the lone wolf problem in TDM only worse.
    A fair argument, albeit purely speculative. The best way to assure this does not happen is remove all individual rewards from TDM, so winning and teamwork are the most rewarding and desired traits, while putting numerous individualistic rewards into my new mode.

But your prediction is certainly fair and valid.
    Last edited by Fenn; 05-08-2011 at 10:59 PM.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Brink is trying to get people away form the lone-wolf mindset by making the benefits of victory(which requires teamwork) outweigh the benefits of individual action by up to hunreds of xp points, and still people would rather just lone wolf it. It's actually kind of depressing. I don't even know if teamwork on the ideal level is possible w/ complete strangers at this point.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
    Brink is trying to get people away form the lone-wolf mindset by making the benefits of victory(which requires teamwork) outweigh the benefits of individual action by up to hunreds of xp points, and still people would rather just lone wolf it. It's actually kind of depressing. I don't even know if teamwork on the ideal level is possible w/ complete strangers at this point.
    I used to dream of creating a project like that too. But then I realized something: why is everyone trying to change the mindset of gamers to fit their games, instead of the other way around?

Games like COD and Halo have made it clear most online matchmaking gamers don't give a care about teamwork, so why are all shooters still team-based? If gamers want to play like lone wolves and individuals, why isn't FFA more popular?

Because all FFA modes, that I've played, face the unavoidable truths of spawning, camping, backstabbing, and kill stealing. There is no way to organize a standard FFA, regardless of the maps and gameplay, without it boiling down to who happens to find who where and when.

My suggestion for a new mode is trying to fix that.

In Halo is impossible to win against a team who work together (unless they are retarded) so the lone wolf is not a big issue. But what it is a problem is the fact that you never use the entire map, most of the conflict takes place in only one part of the map and the game always become in some kind of king of the hill game, and obviously people camp (lucky in halo you have power ups which make campers look retarded or smarter).

As in Halo you have infinite respwans and there is no other goal that kill more and be killed less, people play safely, this mean they are going to try to catch specific points on the map to "camp" (is weird to call this camp, because you know they are there... its more like protect), this make the game a constant fight for this places and you never use the entire map (some maps you do, when you have a sniper).

But this happens a lot in fps games, where all the time some points on the map become strategically more important, but obviously in Halo as you only have to kill and not be killed, your strategy is gonna be stay with your team and by in a place of control. Different to CS, where you there are many strategical points, but are made depending of the goal of your team (plant bomb or protect place).

Is something hard to fix this thing of the strategical points on the map, because no matter what players are going to play to win (camp in COD, by in groups in Halo). Maybe the only way to change this are small missions on stages (as I said, what if you play until your respawns run out, but there are small tasks on the map that can gave you more respawns?) or making in the map some kind of aggression against players, forcing them to move (maps that changes structure every 10 minutes?) or a mix of both (the entire task on your map is to survive and accomplish the a full change on the map that let you reach certain object, this make team work and change constantly the map structure).

But well is not my job to gave ideas or fix problems, is just to play games and see if they work or not. At the moment I stay with my good friend Halo Reach, which is not perfect but at least is fair and it keep the game play "simple".

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    In Halo is impossible to win against a team who work together (unless they are retarded) so the lone wolf is not a big issue. But what it is a problem is the fact that you never use the entire map, most of the conflict takes place in only one part of the map and the game always become in some kind of king of the hill game, and obviously people camp (lucky in halo you have power ups which make campers look retarded or smarter).
    Proof for or against it, not sure which.

Anyway,I just want to see less CoD class customization in so many games Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 didn't work with them because they tried to deviate, hell Black Ops, a CoD showed us that deviatian from the strict cut paste assortment of perks is a bad idea with that system. I think my only good FPS expectations for this year are Battlefield 3 and RAGE(this ones iffy).