Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Lucy that sounds badass please make it come true ):
    If I ever work on it to the point where it is a playable game, I'll post it on MT. You guys can tell me what to improve and all that. I didn't get very far with it before I realised how clunky my attempts at programming were, but I'm still coming up with ideas and stuff I can use if I do work on it.

What were you using to make it

What were you using to make it
    I was programming it in C++. I was gonna mock it up in ASCII and maybe eventually make a version which has graphics rendered in OpenGL.

Have you considered python and libtcod

http://doryen.eptalys.net/

libtcod, a.k.a. “The Doryen Library”, is a free, fast, portable and uncomplicated API for roguelike developpers providing an advanced true color console, input, and lots of other utilities frequently used in roguelikes.

Yeah, I was thinking of learning Python because it's supposedly really easy to program games in. I'm not so fussed about the format or whatever. I might even just try to throw it together in Game Maker or something. The thing is I don't really have a lot of time to work on it right now.

If you do it I do pixel art and know a little gml

Um you have a bunch of units and you can direct where they go and you can switch over to them and help them fight sort of like a dynasty warriors type thing. Look up videos for it because its hard to explain. Think a lite version of total war where you can zoom in and fight alongside your dudes.
    I think Battalion Wars 2 for Wii is similar to that.

I'm looking at videos for battalion wars and it looks pretty cool. Btw you know you can edit posts so you don't have to delete them.

Edit: Hm apparently the game I am envisioning is just ogre battle with beat'em'up combat instead of turn based combat. Seems doable.
    Last edited by jubeh; 04-15-2011 at 08:07 PM.

OKAY

So those inherent flaws I was talking about in strategy/beat'em'up hybrids.

I made a quick prototype where you could draw a line for a unit to follow, and if they bumped into an enemy it would take them into a room where you could punch shit.

THE PROBLEMS

1. Where da tactics at

Since combat is dealt with through BEM fighting, there's no easy way I see to including flanking bonuses and stuff like that. The only way I can see it working is if the game takes into account if there are units near the attacking unit, but I'm not sure if I could program a way to test their positions against the enemy since I'm not that good at programming. All I can think of is if two guys are close to one enemy, both those guys get to fight or something. Iduno.

Then what about ranged attacks mannnnnn.

2. Sudden control change

On the overworld map you are primarily using your mouse. I made a play/pause button to start and stop units which can also be done by pressing space. The problem is that once you switch over to BEM the controls change. You're now using the keyboard to move and fight. Even if I found a way around this I think it would be way too awkward.

3. Difficulty

I feel like it would be really hard to manage difficulty here. If you could just manually beat up the enemies why even position yourself on the map. I could make the enemies stronger but how fun would it be to continuously walk into a wall of arrows or something.

So yeah the only way I see this working is in 3D. That way you can just zoom in when its time to fight instead of switching over to another room. ):

Okay so I have this idea I've been throwing around for a few hours after watching this bible adventures game. Yeah anyway.

The idea is that you play a "karma clerk" who are basically intergalactic mailmen that deliver parcels people deserve. Every stage would have you braving dangers and solving clues in order to find the person sent to receive the package. Since most of them are in hiding for dubious reasons, this isn't always easy. Luckily, every karma clerk is trained in a special fighting art called BOXING and can punch people in order to defend themselves. Also they can jump or whatever.

So every stage you would receive a package from hq and then go to the planet in question. Sometimes finding the recipient is as simple as braving obstacles and whatnot, but sometimes you would have to ask around for clues as to their whereaboots.

I want to implement ledge grabbing which I've failed at pretty bad in the past. But hopefully I can change that! Combat would be pretty simple. Whenever karma clerk engages in combat, the enemy will either jab or straight. You would simply block the jabs and hit them during the windup of their straight in order to dizzy them. After that you could perform your own SUPER STRAIGHT to knock them out. I was initially going to make a more complex fighting system but I want to focus on simplicity and atmosphere.

So graphics would be fake-8bit with 16x16 sprites and Iduno about the music. Any suggestions or feedback?