Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Ideas

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I doubt what you say about N, because the way it's designed is to create an environment where trial-and-error is the only method of success. And there has never been evidence of anyone truly "mastering" N to the point where they can complete an entirely unfamiliar level in one go, unless they get extremely lucky and even then it's rarely the case. The way obstacles and enemies work in N is so unforgiving that there is no real way to foresee how well you will actually do, taking into account margins of error and the fact that enemies react differently based on where you are, so each attempt has variables of randomness that are hard to reduce.

But yeah I agree on SHMUPs. I'd say all SHMUPs, even my favorite ones, are easy once memorized and 'getting good' at these games just comes down to how willing you are to memorize them, which can be tedious and boring IMO. But the SHMUP genre wouldn't work without trial-and-error gameplay because then it would have to be incredibly easy.

And overall, yeah I agree with you and Jubeh on the point of frustration, but I'm just saying it shouldn't be a popular objective to TRY to frustrate the player, to the point where enjoyment for the average person is diminished. If it was just the occasional platformer, I wouldn't mind as this can be considered a "niche" variety, but it's literally every other indie platformer these days. And that's highly destructive as it acts as a deterrent to casual gamers, which is like well over 90% of gamers I'd say.

Fenn

Another crazy idea from Fenn

I don't mean to interupt, but I had a cool idea for the next pokemon game I wanted to share. You can continue your conversation of course.

The goal of this addition is to create a greater sense of persistence to the game as well as increase replay value. I call it Pokemon LIVE (it's a terrible name really). Here's how it works: In short, the game creates an influx of "traffic" within the City, route, shop, or dungeon you are currently in. This "traffic" is simply people entering, interacting with, and exiting that location. Think of the pathways in Castelia City, just less congested.

Now for the details:

- The people walking (and running) through the area are interactable. When you press A next to them, some will simply have a random line of text. Others...
    > will give you tips about secrets/legendaries/rare pkmn
    > will give you an item
    > will offer to trade (you can choose to go to a pkmn center first, and they will follow/fly where you go)
    > will battle you . They will declare their number of pokemon, the average level, and the max level before battle (these can be declined).

- The generation of these people will be semi-random. Factors which influence the quantity and type of each person will include the area (is in between major cities or off the normal path, is it a major city, etc), time of day, and the level of your pokemon.

I don't think this would put much of a strain on the game, as these people would be erased when they exited the area--unless the border is visible on your screen, in which case they will be erased once they enter a building or get far away from you. Also, their animations: walking, running, getting into wild pkmn battles, etc., can be simple.

Think of the potential! An infinite number of trainers, with unique, unpredictable pokemon and movesets, roaming the world. It would be great for getting experience for pokemon, trying out strategies, and earning some cash. There are some other related ideas I had too:

- After battling a randomly generated trainer, you can choose to add them to your Pal Pad (you could have 4 slots for CPUs). With this...

> you can use the C-Gear to find out their location and trade/battle them.
    > The first time you rematch them, they will have the same pokemon at higher levels (you can ask them their avg and max lvl before battling).
    > After the battle, they will ask you which of their pokemon is your favorite. This pokemon will be guaranteed to stay on their team. The rest could be replaced by new pkmn they "caught" between your last battle and your next.
    > If you ask to trade, they will ask what you have to offer (from your party or box). Depending on the rarity of the pkmn you show, they will offer you three randomly generated pkmn of a similar level. You can decline and ask for three new options up to two times.
    > If you happen to pass by your CPU "friend" in game, an arrow will appear above their head.

- The return of the VS Seeker. When activated via the bottom screen (a la the Dowsing machine), any randomly generated people on screen with the "battle" option will stop and get an "!" over their head for 15 seconds.

- You can return to Gyms after beating them to fight randomly generated trainers as well. I had two separate ideas for this:

1. Trainers use pokemon of the type the gym is known for. I worry this would be abused to get easy exp by fighting pkmn yours is super effective against.
    2. I like this better: when using a pkmn of the same type as the gym, that pkmn gets boosted exp. Opposing trainers can have any type of pkmn. For types without a gym rep, buildings scattered around the world could be dedicated to a certain type.

I just want a Pokemon where you can actively command the battle in real-time, like in the show.

Become a ufc coach

@Fenn:
    And then you'll get monster rancher. In that game, monster do their own stuff. You could give them command, but it's not like they will follow your command like a robot. Just like a real pokemon battle... which is not fun.

Fenn

WHAT?

This had nothing to do with changing the way battles work. This was an enhancement of the overworld gameplay...

He's talking to me, Fenn. I think he mistook our posts.

And if I wanted to get anywhere near the UFC from a gaming perspective, I'd play Gears of War. 'Roid heads ruffin each other up: the credo of Western art direction.

But yeah, I think Pokemon would benefit from a real-time battle system, as that's how the show is portrayed and, TBH, the show has always involved me more than the games, though it's chock-full of game-breaking anime tropes (the "last ditch" super attack) and there are discrepancies here and there.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    He's talking to me, Fenn. I think he mistook our posts.

And if I wanted to get anywhere near the UFC from a gaming perspective, I'd play Gears of War. 'Roid heads ruffin each other up: the credo of Western art direction.

But yeah, I think Pokemon would benefit from a real-time battle system, as that's how the show is portrayed and, TBH, the show has always involved me more than the games, though it's chock-full of game-breaking anime tropes (the "last ditch" super attack) and there are discrepancies here and there.
    Ooh okay then.

So I've been playing around with an idea in my head for a puzzle platformer called Duality and I'm wondering what you think of the concept before I take it to TigSource or Daily Click to see if anyone is willing to develop it with me.

It's basically a single player co-op game (lol). You play two characters on a screen split horizontally into two 'realms', switching up between them to solve puzzles. These characters have the ability to teleport things within a limited range into the opposite realm and that will be the main gameplay mechanic. Long spoiler ahead:

SPOILER! :
    The object is to get both characters to the exit of each level within a set time limit. Essentially there are two different maps (one for the upper screen and one for the lower screen) per level and both characters have to get to the exit of their respective map.

The story behind it is pretty loosely strung together, but explains the reasoning behind the game:
    SPOILER! :
    One thousand years ago, an interdimensional demon called Marduk attempted to devour our world. The King of the Overworld, determined to save the planet, attempted to fight the demon, but failed. The King of the Underworld, for the sake of preserving his demonic empire, combated the demon, but failed. Only when working together did they manage to seal it away, banishing it to a pocket dimension where there is no time. After the battle, the two Kings formed a pact: if another force threatened to destroy the planet, the two realms would put aside their differences and work together to stop it.

1000 years later, a powerful warlock has removed the seal on the pocket dimension, unleashing Marduk's rage. Enraged, Marduk kills the current Kings of the two realms, leaving their young Princes to take up the crown prematurely. These Princes are your two characters. To ensure that his conquest is not interfered with, he condemns the Princes into their opposite realms. This is where the game starts.

The Prince of the Underworld, raised on the sulfurous gasses and intense heat of the Underworld, cannot survive for long in the Overworld. The Prince of the Overworld, unaccustomed to the sweltering climate of the Underworld, cannot survive for long, either. This explains why each level is timed. If the timer runs out on a level, the Princes succumb to the environment. The only way to extend their lives is to consume the souls of Marduk's demonspawn, which cannot be killed directly but can be teleported into hazards. But, because they can only teleport objects to the opposite realm, they have to help sustain each other. Once a demon is slain, the soul is automatically consumed by the character within that realm.

A mockup (forgive the shitty drawings):

So this is a basic layout of the game screen. It's split horizontally into two realms. By default, every level begins with the player in control of the top screen. The other screen remains completely paused, but can be switched to by pressing, say, Shift. Then it becomes vice versa: the player controls the lower screen, and the upper screen is paused. Switching in mid-jump will cause the jumping character to freeze in mid-air and preserve their trajectory.

The paused screen will have a timer on it, which is the main determinant of score. The faster you complete a level, the higher your score. Time can be increased by killing demonspawn and harvesting their souls (explained above).

A basic puzzle would work like this:

Okay, so you have to get both of these guys to the doors on the left side of the map. Some obvious problems arise: Red (U. Prince) cannot clear such a high jump and there is a steam vent that threatens to push White (O. Prince) into a bed of sharp stalactites. The vent can cause various objects to levitate. We can use that to our advantage.

If Red uses his teleport ability to teleport that rock to the Underworld, the steam will push it up into the stalactites, effectively cushioning the ceiling. The object won't materialize in the other realm until you switch control over to it, which is the next step now that White can clear the gap. The teleportation will send an object to approximately the same location on the opposite screen unless there is terrain or something else in the way, in which case it will react accordingly.

Now comes the task of getting Red up that vertical incline.

If we teleport the crate, it'll also be affected by the steam vent. This will cause it to levitate. Now if White teleports it again, it will appear in the Overworld at the same height, giving Red the footing needed to clear the vertical. Obv. this is not to-scale, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Just assume that the puzzle can't be solved otherwise.

Another problem arises, though. As soon as you switch control over to Red, the crate materializes and is immediately affected by gravity, causing it to fall rapidly. Red cannot clear the jump before it hits the ground. But recall that switching characters can freeze the unused character in mid-jump, so if we repeat the process but put Red in mid-jump before we switch to white, he can land on the crate just as it materializes--which takes a split second--and clear the vertical.

So this is how this game would work, along with some demon slaying and a couple boss fights. I'll make some legit mockups some other time.

I don't really have much to say about the idea other than that it's cool but I wanted to say SOMETHING so you didn't feel like you wasted your time on that long ass post.