Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Video Game Ideas

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Dude, I waste my time on long posts all the time.

But really, that's all I needed to hear lol. I just wanted to see if anyone is interested in playing a game like that.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    So I've been playing around with an idea in my head for a puzzle platformer called Duality and I'm wondering what you think of the concept before I take it to TigSource or Daily Click to see if anyone is willing to develop it with me.

It's basically a single player co-op game (lol). You play two characters on a screen split horizontally into two 'realms', switching up between them to solve puzzles. These characters have the ability to teleport things within a limited range into the opposite realm and that will be the main gameplay mechanic. Long spoiler ahead:

SPOILER! :
    The object is to get both characters to the exit of each level within a set time limit. Essentially there are two different maps (one for the upper screen and one for the lower screen) per level and both characters have to get to the exit of their respective map.

The story behind it is pretty loosely strung together, but explains the reasoning behind the game:
    SPOILER! :
    One thousand years ago, an interdimensional demon called Marduk attempted to devour our world. The King of the Overworld, determined to save the planet, attempted to fight the demon, but failed. The King of the Underworld, for the sake of preserving his demonic empire, combated the demon, but failed. Only when working together did they manage to seal it away, banishing it to a pocket dimension where there is no time. After the battle, the two Kings formed a pact: if another force threatened to destroy the planet, the two realms would put aside their differences and work together to stop it.

1000 years later, a powerful warlock has removed the seal on the pocket dimension, unleashing Marduk's rage. Enraged, Marduk kills the current Kings of the two realms, leaving their young Princes to take up the crown prematurely. These Princes are your two characters. To ensure that his conquest is not interfered with, he condemns the Princes into their opposite realms. This is where the game starts.

The Prince of the Underworld, raised on the sulfurous gasses and intense heat of the Underworld, cannot survive for long in the Overworld. The Prince of the Overworld, unaccustomed to the sweltering climate of the Underworld, cannot survive for long, either. This explains why each level is timed. If the timer runs out on a level, the Princes succumb to the environment. The only way to extend their lives is to consume the souls of Marduk's demonspawn, which cannot be killed directly but can be teleported into hazards. But, because they can only teleport objects to the opposite realm, they have to help sustain each other. Once a demon is slain, the soul is automatically consumed by the character within that realm.

A mockup (forgive the shitty drawings):

So this is a basic layout of the game screen. It's split horizontally into two realms. By default, every level begins with the player in control of the top screen. The other screen remains completely paused, but can be switched to by pressing, say, Shift. Then it becomes vice versa: the player controls the lower screen, and the upper screen is paused. Switching in mid-jump will cause the jumping character to freeze in mid-air and preserve their trajectory.

The paused screen will have a timer on it, which is the main determinant of score. The faster you complete a level, the higher your score. Time can be increased by killing demonspawn and harvesting their souls (explained above).

A basic puzzle would work like this:

Okay, so you have to get both of these guys to the doors on the left side of the map. Some obvious problems arise: Red (U. Prince) cannot clear such a high jump and there is a steam vent that threatens to push White (O. Prince) into a bed of sharp stalactites. The vent can cause various objects to levitate. We can use that to our advantage.

If Red uses his teleport ability to teleport that rock to the Underworld, the steam will push it up into the stalactites, effectively cushioning the ceiling. The object won't materialize in the other realm until you switch control over to it, which is the next step now that White can clear the gap. The teleportation will send an object to approximately the same location on the opposite screen unless there is terrain or something else in the way, in which case it will react accordingly.

Now comes the task of getting Red up that vertical incline.

If we teleport the crate, it'll also be affected by the steam vent. This will cause it to levitate. Now if White teleports it again, it will appear in the Overworld at the same height, giving Red the footing needed to clear the vertical. Obv. this is not to-scale, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Just assume that the puzzle can't be solved otherwise.

Another problem arises, though. As soon as you switch control over to Red, the crate materializes and is immediately affected by gravity, causing it to fall rapidly. Red cannot clear the jump before it hits the ground. But recall that switching characters can freeze the unused character in mid-jump, so if we repeat the process but put Red in mid-jump before we switch to white, he can land on the crate just as it materializes--which takes a split second--and clear the vertical.

So this is how this game would work, along with some demon slaying and a couple boss fights. I'll make some legit mockups some other time.
    I would enjoy that game. Definitely. It seems suited to the arcade/PC game genre as well; good for some brief fun or to waste away the next 10 hours. Some random tips if you're serious about this:

- Introduce new challenges gradually. The puzzle you showed would be great early game to hook gamers. Throw in a couple of different types of challenge at the start, then work with those when designing puzzles for a level or two. Then one or two new puzzles get thrown in the mix.
    - be creative; combine different types of obstacles.
    - Either have a deep story, or hardly any story at all. Don't half-ass one for the sake of having one.

Thanks for the advice, dude. I've never actually designed an entire game before, aside from small experiments so I could use any help I can get.

but yeah, the story really only exists to give reason as to why you do what you do and the timer. I don't like games that have timers for no reason, especially if they're in a fully illustrated setting. Puzzle games that take place in some nondestinct limbo, not a big deal, but things like Super Mario Bros are weird. Like...is there some kind of giant invisible clock tracking me, why and to what effect? You know what I mean?

Timers are good mechanically because without them the player will always choose the most boring option. For instance Rummikub without a timer is basically 4 player solitaire.

Thematically I dont know. Dont really care either way tbh. Though lost planet worked it in with the theme pretty well.

Yeah, timers are pretty much invaluable in most games. especially puzzle games. Won't question that.

Fenn
    I hate timers because I personally feel they discourage experimentation and discovery. When the clock is pounding, I feel compelled to stick to the most streamlined, familiar route to make sure I don't run out of time. They also cause frequent continues and repeating the same level over and over, usually because I am .5 seconds off.

The only time I'm okay with a timer is escape missions like in Metroid: Fusion. First, it makes sense: of course you have to get out, its gonna blow up! And since those areas are less explorative and more about suspense and drama, the timer works well to get my adrenaline going.

I have an idea for an online system based around "clubs." The goal is to create smaller, yet expansive, online communities that are 1. optional and 2. player-run, to take pressure off of devs to moderate player behavior.

A club must consist of at least 50, but up to several thousand, online players of a specific game. It is created by a player, and that player is responsible for controlling the settings of the club and moderating its members. The player can, of course, assign admins with specifically allocated controls of the club. A club:

- Can have a certain theme, set by the creator. Themes could include: "Adult club (18+)", "kid-friendly", "Friday Night gamers," "competitive gamers," or even "hackers/modders." The theme is written in the description, and the creator also chooses classification(s) for each theme to help players searching (i.e. play style, age, date/time).

- Have options for admitting new players. Some could be open, and allow anyone to click and join. Others could be request, and still others could be invite-only (find fun players through randoms and invite them). The creator can decide which option, and which members can invite if that option is chosen.

- Have rules for maintaining membership. Rules include but are not limited to:
    > Memberships: players can/cannot be members of other clubs
    > Mature content: players can/cannot include mature content or use mature language.
    > Activity: players have to/don't have to log a certain number of minutes per day/week/month.

- Players can report fellow club members for potential punishment. The creator (and admins if allowed) can ban players or deliver warnings. The creator (and admins if allowed) can kick a player from a club at any time, for any reason. They can also write a brief report about the reason the player was kicked. After 1 kick, the report is hidden. If the player is kicked from a second club before the first report expires, both reports will now show on that player's profile when joining or requesting new clubs. Reports will expire, but will take longer if they occur frequently or if the player has a habit of being kicked. Note: This is balanced by the fact that clubs must publicly display all kicked player reports on their page. Poorly run clubs, whether too strict or too lenient, will fail.

With the club system, it is easier to find similar minded gamers, and to avoid hackers , cheaters, and bad sports due to the more intimate nature of the system. Nevertheless, the large size limits of clubs mean there will rarely be a shortage of players to matchmake in larger clubs.
    Last edited by Fenn; 06-24-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Banned
    I played Project IGI.it's a nice game.