Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Losing is not a big deal

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    But regardless, Fenn. I think I'd hate it more if people didn't take it seriously.
    Then I suggest you follow the advice in my previous post. Randoms are just that; random. There should not be any specific way people should be expected to play. If you want competitive matches, find others with a similar approach to the game. It isn't hard.

When I want to play competitive sports, I join a team. I don't force everyone I play with on the playground to match my level and complain when they don't.

Wow, this post is aggressive. Sorry, nothing personal.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Just a little condescending considering I've been playing fighting games competitively (and money matches) for years now lol. I'm not just an armchair guru or something.

Anyway, weren't you saying people take it too seriously? And now you're telling me to go play competitively, if I want to play seriously. Except you already said XBox Live was "too serious", so wouldn't it suit me just to keep playing XBox Live? Hmm. I get what you're saying, but you're already suggesting that a large majority of Live players take games too seriously, yet you're talking to me like I'm a minority when that's what I want.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 04-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Cypress, there is only one solution. We make a team consisting only of MT members on the games that we are playing and we destroy all of the little British kids.

The greatest irony is that the little kids don't get mad when they get beat...so it takes the joy out of beating them. I think gamer rage only kicks in after puberty.

Can't just play for enjoyment can you?

Gamer rage is all about dick size.

I think it's a hormonal thing, TBH. Makes you more competitive. Little kids don't seem bothered when they lose in Halo, Marvel or whatever. At least, not as much as older people. I have yet to receive hate mail from a little kid.

When I get competitive I get sloppy.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Just a little condescending considering I've been playing fighting games competitively (and money matches) for years now lol. I'm not just an armchair guru or something.

Anyway, weren't you saying people take it too seriously? And now you're telling me to go play competitively, if I want to play seriously. Except you already said XBox Live was "too serious", so wouldn't it suit me just to keep playing XBox Live? Hmm. I get what you're saying, but you're already suggesting that a large majority of Live players take games too seriously, yet you're talking to me like I'm a minority when that's what I want.
    Hm, I seem to be confisuing myself now too...lol...OH! I just re-read the post and now I get what you're saying. Wow, stupid me.

My problem with XBL is that this highly competitive nature is too inflexible. If I'm playing basketball against 5rd graders on the playground, I'm going to go a little easier on them. Now, if I get matched up against 5th graders in a tournament (hypothetically), I'm still going to crush them. Similarly, everyone online (myself included sometimes) has no regard for whether anyone else is enjoying themselves. Hence the bevy of insults, ragequits, etc. It's part of the internet's completely anonymous setting.

People need to get a grip when playing randoms. Randoms, in the end, is for fun, whether it's through highly competitive settings or relaxed competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Can't just play for enjoyment can you?
    Ughhhhhhhhhhhh do you really think being competitive and having fun are mutually exlusive?