Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mahvel Baybee! - Marvel vs Capcom 3

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar

Is Mahvel Baybee! - Marvel vs Capcom 3

After a 11 year hiatus, the Marvel Vs. Capcom series finally continues with a third installment. So get your internet plug ready to pull, and beware of infinite combos from spammers!

Where to buy:
    Amazon:
    $0.99 release day shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...pcom+3&x=0&y=0

Capcom Store:
    10% off with the code THANKYOUTEN
    http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomu...=1296695243566

Who's In the Game?

And more to come (as DLC)!!

Lots of old faces and even more new ones!! Did your favorite character not make the list?? Too bad!
    The cast may not be as bloated as MvC2, but all the characters have unique playstyles and abilities and will be useful in many differently built teams. Build the ultimate team and crush your opponents!!

Teams

Have a good idea for a team? Found a popular or viable team used by another player? Tell the thread about it and if its dope I'll add it to this Team List. Please give the characters in the team, a description of the team tactics, as well as the assists used by each character (a, b, or y).

Team Beginner- Dude guy(a)/ Dude girl (a)/ Dude with a tude (y)- Dude does this with blah blah blah.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (MvC3) is the eighth installment in Capcom's storied Vs. franchise, once against pitting you against your opponent in a battle royale for internet supremacy. You will assemble a team of three characters from a cast of 20 Marvel heroes/villains and 20 Capcom superstars in an effort to embarrass your friends and prove that you know how to press buttons. Taking its graphic design cues from Street Fighter IV and the more recent Tatsunoku vs. Capcom, MvC3 features pseudo-three-dimensional fighters battling on a two-dimensional playing field. There are plenty of new mechanics introduced with this latest installment and understanding them is a crucial part of becoming a better player. In the following paragraphs, I'll explain the basic concepts of a Vs. game, the mechanics that every player needs to understand and eventually, how to apply those mechanics to develop basic strategy.

In order to understand even the most fundamental basics of fighting games, there are overarching concepts that you need to learn. These basic principles can be applied to any fighting game, although some of the specifics may be slightly diminished in the Vs. franchise as compared to a more standard game franchise like Street Fighter. Luckily, these basics are explained fairly well by Sirlin in the following series of videos. If you've never done anything more than mash your hand against your controller when you play a fighting game, you owe it to yourself to familiarize yourself with these principles. Feel free to ignore most of the ST-specific mechanics and input notation, but pay special attention to the general theme of the concept he is explaining.

Now that you know the most basic things you're trying to control while you're playing the game, let's talk about how you're going to execute some of those ideas with the characters you've chosen. First, you need to understand some of the terminology that's going to be thrown around in this thread with respect to fighting games in general and MvC3, in particular. If you see a term and you don't understand what it means, try checking this glossary first. If the term isn't listed there or explained below, ask about it in the thread.

MvC3 uses six action buttons and a directional stick to control the action on-screen. The two most typical button layouts are presented below, although obviously you can completely customize your control scheme.

The image on the left is the standard control scheme, based in-part on the TvC button grouping. The advantage of this setup is that it's easier to activate your X-Factor, because the attack buttons are grouped such that you can easily press them. Also, it puts the Exchange button on your thumb, which will help some beginners in remembering to use it. Don't worry if you don't understand what those terms mean yet -- I'm getting there. The second control scheme is familiar to everyone that played MvC2 and needs little explanation. Instead of separating punch and kick inputs, MvC3 'streamlined' the input system down to three primary attack buttons and an exchange button. The letters correspond to the following inputs:

Light attack
    Medium attack
    Heavy attack
    Exchange
    Assist 1
    Assist 2

• Exchange: New to MvC3, the exchange button serves two purposes. On the ground, it is a universal launch button. That is to say that you can create a combo by chaining your light, medium, and/or heavy attacks and use the exchange button to hit your opponent into the air to continue your combo. Instead of having different launchers for each character that players would need to remember, Capcom is using this system so that new players can plug an unfamiliar character into their team and still be able to perform the most basic combos. However, note that combos will still be character, opponent, and location specific -- a basic s.L, s.M, s.H combo might push your opponent out of reach of your launcher attack and whiffing your launcher will leave you open to immense punishment. A universal exchange button does not absolve you of analyzing your situation and spacing on the fly and adding or subtracting inputs as necessary.
    • Aerial Exchange: The interesting half of the new exchange button is its utility in the air. When you launch an opponent into the air with a grounded exchange, the character flies helplessly into the air and you can super jump cancel (explained later) your launch to follow them into the air and continue your combo. While you're attacking your opponent in the air, you can press a cardinal direction (up, down, back or forward) and the exchange button to perform an aerial exchange. Depending on the direction you input, one of your other characters will tag into the battle and perform an attack, allowing you to continue the combo. If you press exchange with no directional input (neutral exchange), you will bound your opponent to the ground, where, if you were on the lowest aerial tier, you can perform an OTG attack. However, the aerial exchange is not a guaranteed safe way to bring one of your team members into the battle; your opponent has the opportunity to counter your exchange by matching your directional input and pressing the exchange button while being combo-ed. If they guess incorrectly your combo continues, but if they are correct they instantly stop your combo, perform a counter attack and are allowed back on the offensive. For this reason, aerial exchanges are risky at best. That risk has an opportunity to pay off insofar as attacks you land after performing an aerial exchange build significantly more meter than more standard attacks.

Assists are extremely important in this game. Learning how to use them and how to deal with them is extremely important if you want to have fun and improve your ability to play this game. Every character has 3 different assist attacks, each assigned to one of their special moves, or a move that is exclusive to being an assist.

• How to perform assist attacks:An assist attack is performed when you press the A1 or A2 button. A1 will make your second character perform an assist, and A2 will make your third character perform an assist. There is a short recovery period after the back character finishes the attack and leaves the screen.
    • Assist Properties: Assist attacks cannot be pushblocked. When they are out they take double damage and cannot defend themeselves so the point character must be sure to cover them while they are on screen and vulnerable.
    • Types of assists: Assist attacks have a wide array of uses. Here's a list of things they are most commonly used for:

-Lockdown and Chip (Ammy Cold Star, Chun-Li Lightning Legs, Dr Doom Rocks): These types of assists will hold an enemy in place and deal a good amount of chip damage. Useful for catching runaway characters and overwhelming your opponent so they cannot fight back.
      -Anti-Air (Hulk Gamma Charge, Morrigan Shadow Blade, Dante Jam Session): These types of assists are used to get enemies out of melee range. Useful for when you have a rushdown character on top of you and you want to get them away and deal damage. Punishes enemies for mounting a loose and easily blockable offense.
      -High/Low Assists(Wesker Low Shot, C. Viper Burn Kick, X-23 Ankle Slicer): This looks to be a new element to the competitive MvC scene. MvC2 had high and low assists, but none of the really good characters had them, and AAA assists ultimately had more use so they were almost never used. High/Low assists are good because you can set up an unblockable combination when the point character attacks high, and the assist attacks low. You can punish an enemy simply for trying to hold down/back instead of being active.
      -Screen Control(Sentinel Drones, Chris Land Mine, Dormammu Black Hole) Screen control is an extremely important aspect of MvC3. Screen Control allows you to move freely while forcing your enemies to dodge or take chip damage. Screen control assists will allow you to keep enemies at full screen, or alternatively move in while they block the assist.
      -Meter Charge(Morrigan Kiss And Throw, Ammy Sun Shine) These are new to MvC. They have a use now since you can only charge meter when you hit the enemy or make them block an attack. They appear and disappear very quickly so you can freely call them while you keep your enemy at arm's length with projectiles.
      -Combo Extender(Skrull Wall Bounce, Wesker Low Shot, Deadpool Kata-Rama!! OTG)- Most any assist will let you extend the number of hits you can get off of a combo. This is the area where you should experiment and test what combo opportunities your favorite assists open up for you.
    • How To Deal With Assists: This is going to be a huge problem for everyone, including me and a lot of people much better than me at fighting games. There's no 100% catch-all solution to assists, but here's some general tips:

-Bait and Punish: Should be pretty obvious for anyone who has been playing fighting games for a good amount of time. Usually when someone abuses a certain assist, there is a pattern or cue for when they bring it out. For example, if an enemy is successfully keeping you at bay using Morrigan's Anti-Air assist, a good bait tactic would be running up to the enemy then blocking. Most likely they'll get trigger happy and call the assist. This gives you an opportunity to counter with your assist, hit the assist with a combo, or in the best situation catch both the assist AND the point character in a damaging combo.

-Avoid the assist's angle of attack: In a way this falls under "Bait and Punish", but this technique requires a different explanation for those not versed in MvC. Since the assist attack will come out with the same move and angle every time it's used, you can stay watch for areas are still open when the assist is attacking. For example, in MvC3 you can avoid Dante's anti-air assist by flying above and in front of the enemy. Alternatively, you can avoid Morrigan's Anti-Air by flying DIRECTLY above the enemy. Doom's rock assist does not cover the air at all, and Dormammu's Black Hole assist does not cover the space directly in front of him. Work the angles sharp and precise.

-Lock them down: I'll cover this technique more in the playstyles section, but the best way to deal with assists is basically never allow the enemy to use them. When a point character is trapped in blockstun, they cannot call an assist until they free. MvC2 trap characters such as Spiral and Strider Hiryu could chip down enemies while keeping them from calling an assist to help break the trap.

In the last thread, someone brought up how they thought "there should be a limit to one fireball on the screen." The fact that someone somewhere is going into this game with this mentality warrants this section. MvC is notorious for projectiles in their number and potency. Projectiles interact in this game in more ways than "1 hit cancels out 1 other hit". Here's a list of the four main types of projectiles:

• Fireballs: (Ryu's Hadoken, Chun-Li's Kikouken, Phoenix Fire Orb) Fireballs are traditionally considered the weakest type of projectile, but have some new properties in MvC3 that might make them worthwhile. They move slowly across the screen and only cover a small area at a time. To make up for this, fireballs have a certain amount of "health" when clashing with other projectiles. This means when they meet with bullets or other single-hit projectiles, they will absorb a certain amount of damage before disappearing instead of dissipating on the first hit.
    • Beams: (Iron Man's Unibeam, Magneto's EM Disruptor, Sentinel's Mouth Beam) Beams are widely considered the best types of projectiles, and the easiest to abuse. Beams can only be cleanly cancelled out by certain contstructs, and usually beat out fireballs and bullets clean. Beams reach across the screen instantly, creating a multi-hitting stream of damage for the duration the beam is on the screen.
    • Bullets/Weapons: (Deadpool's Jerky Trigger, Chris's Open Fire, Arthur's entire moveset) . Bullets and projectile weapons are used by nearly half the cast. Bullets travel across the screen quickly like beams, but can be swollowed by fireballs in some cases.
    • Constructs: (Dormmamu's Black Hole, Arthur's Fire Bottle, Phoenix's Avatar, Chris's Land Mine, Spencer's Hookshot): These projectiles don't really fall under other categories. They appear on screen and move in a unique angle and speed, or they stay stationary and project a damage hitbox for the duration of the move. Constructs cannot be disrupted by other projectiles, so the enemy is almost always forced to deal with avoiding or blocking them while they are on screen.

I know there's already a thread on the game, but that one seems more a "WHO'S GETTING THIS?!" this is more "Who's got this? Let's organize shit. Let's discuss shit." If you wise and sagely mods think it's a problem, feel free to delete this thread or merge it with the other (can you guys do that?)
    Last edited by Kodos; 02-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Fenn
    2/3/11: http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/...Are-you-exited

Granted no one posted there yet and this is much more detailed.

I included a little bit at the bottom of my post about that.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

We'll keep this thread.

I'm getting this on the 360 and note I will be using the cheapest shit so don't play with me if you are going to cry about it.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I think it's great that there's a third iteration out. The only problem is.... I haven't played MvC since the first one in the arcade! I'm so behind.... My fave characters at that time were Psylocke and Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    My fave characters at that time were Psylocke and Iceman.
    ICE BEAM

ICE BEAM

ICE BEAM

SPOILER! :
    ARCTIC ATTACK

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    ^
    I won a lot of matches that way. xD
    It totally pissed off a lot of people too. lol

That just means you were playing him correctly.

I'm going to get this game no matter what!!

Is weird that some character are not here. By example, you have Tron and Zero, but no Mega Man.

And some good characters of the old Marvels vs Capcom are neithere here, like Iceman, Cable and Strider Hiryu between others.

So, the lack of these characters mean that they might launch another Marvel vs Capcom? Like they did with Street Fighter IV? Or they are going to put more characters as downloadable content? Or they just gave a shit.

Frank West is almost certainly DLC. They already said they considered him but cut him during development. If you look at the early promotional material you can clearly see his silhouette in the roster.

Capcom has stated a desire to listen to fans and provide lots of DLC. I hope they follow up on it - they have a good track record, though, so I think they will.

I want Phoenix Wright for Capcom, and Stephen Colbert for Marvel. What? He was in a handful of comics. They can make him a Cap'n clone.