Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bakuman - Toru is the MAN

Jaidurn got me into this shit, fuck him. I can't stop reading and now I won't get any work done ;_;

But seriously, I was going to become a lawyer until Jaidurn came around. Now we're making anime. Sound like something?

EDIT: MASHIRO YOU STUPID DUMB BAKA!! I can't get past page 50 on chapter 1... @_@

EDIT:EDIT: WHOA I DID IT AND WHOA MAN TALK ABOUT NON-CLICHE O_O

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT:
    =
    Last edited by Sylux; 08-11-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Yeah, but he's not likeable. I mean, as a villain, he's too ... aloof. He'd be better if he wasn't. He's cunning and he knows it. His hubris will be his downfall.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Hubris being someone's downfall is hardly a bad feature of a story.

I mean, Paradise Lost was pretty well-received... as was The Iliad (Hector's death, and to a lesser extent Achilles' as well). Hubris is one of the major themes of classical tragedy.

EDIT: In addition, making characters aloof is a great way to make them unlikeable. It's so effective that making a protagonist a proud loner immediately makes them be received as an anti-hero no matter what their morality is like. Like Batman.
    Last edited by Delphinus; 08-13-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Oh, sorry, I'm not saying Hubris being his downfall was bad, that was just speculation. His aloofness annoys me though ... It detracts from whatever ... Charisma he may have. The Joker is a fucking menace to society and everyone around him, but you can't just help being interested in both him and his actions. Toru? His actions are interesting, but as a character, he's flat. I liked the last time he was around when he was using the Internet to help build his manga (as it resembles what happens here on MT). This new company thing is interesting but it takes away from his characters. There’s just something I don't like. He's too flat. I don't know. *shrugs*
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Nananime is a great villain, but you know what I reckon will happen? Jump will stop publishing the mangas he's churning out, and tell him to start his own publishing company and/or magazine. That would resolve all the conflicts and save our protagonists from peril.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    ...you know what I reckon will happen? Jump will stop publishing the mangas he's churning out, and tell him to start his own publishing company and/or magazine...
    I don't see it going that way. From a practical standpoint Jump would be stupid to do that; what Nananime is doing isn't really wrong(chap 145 pp 9&10) the way he's doing it arguably is though, but it's making money for Jump (interesting manga= sales). If Jump makes him leave they potentially lose money and if he starts his own publishing company/magazine they have essentially created their own competition which has already shown to be a strong contending force.

Maybe if the story (which with how Eiji Nizuma ended Crow it's not that far out) would be a 'world stage battle' between Jump and Nananime's company. I'm not wholly convinced that could work out all that well though.

(EDIT/Additional thought)

A more likely conclusion would be what Bacon_Barbarian said: Hubris will be Nananime's downfall. His last defeat was in large part him having a bad plan, this time his plan seems airtight, but there is one potential problem; everyone get's compensated/paid, but only the artist of each one-shot/series get's the glory.

The way i see it, Nananime will ride an unstoppable wave of success having the top 5 series in Jump under his belt or something like that, at which point one of the writers might start to grumble about not getting proper recognition. Even after Nananime (inevitably) fires him this will sow the seeds of dissent, the rest of the writers complain/walk and Nananime, too stuck on his perfect plan to beat Ashirogi Muto, will not waver and lose his writing staff. Plan collapses in on itself Nananime goes down.
    Last edited by Bardic-Dragoon; 08-31-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    I have no problem with you spanking me. However, I have a huge problem with you not spanking me...