Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Art- 'B...but it's just a shelf. With a cup on it.'

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    the problem is the artist who take advantage of this freedom in art.
    Blammo.
    Or people who aren't in it for the art and therefore not artists. Who just want to get a piece of something they have no business being in.
    Fraud artists suck mang.

Three Trio Tres Member DrPumpkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Impposible, because you are not the artist, ergo you can't understand the artist. So the artist needs to use understandable symbols, so we can at least scratch the idea behind the art.
    The deal is that you have to try to understand it. If you want to be an artist, understanding art is fundamental. There are supposed to be 3 levels of understandment on the art: The first and basic is just a judgment of like it or not. The second it goes to the identification of the symbols and the Third is the impossible, because only the artist knows it.

So my problem at least is that, when the artist kill symbols, so no one can reach the second level of understandment, which is the goal of modern art. And then is when art becomes more about the ego of the artist and not the dilema in the art.
    But surely, even without understanding what the artist wanted to say, you can still interpret the piece by yourself, can't you? I think what you're saying is 'You can't understand what the artist is saying, therefore there's no point', and I agree with you, since the part of the point of modern art is to get their message (or at least attempt to), but can't you interpret the artwork by yourself and get your own feelings and messages from that? And isn't that another part of modren art, to get your own interpretation of the message?

Also, can you tell me where you got the three levels of understanding art from? I'm just genuinely curious to see who said it.

Artist generate an idea through symbols to be understanded in a part (you never understand the whole idea).

When artist use unknowed symbols, you can't understand the idea behind the art.

As you can't, you have the option to interpretate it as you want. But then you are killing the Artist (because the artists and the idea are not needed anymore and the symbols are tools for your own ego).

So at the end, when you do a interpretation of your own, for yourself, its become the art of the ego. And not the art of the idea.

When artists use symbols for a idea and us being unnable to see the complete idea, we are also doing a consensus between our ego, and the little we can see of the ego of the artists and the idea (even so, a lot of the time, we don't see us in the art).

And for me this is more solid, the idea that art has a goal, because the artist mean it to be like that, and we are also participes of it.

This is like a sandbox game, if I gave yo ua sandbox game without story/meaning, is boring, and it only useful if you want to do something. But when I gave you a game with a story, you not only developt yourself, but also you rebuild the game.

This is why I love sometimes modern art, and others I hate it. Because artists use it for their egos, to kill it, and in other good cases, to make this dialectic with the viewers.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 04-16-2011 at 10:18 PM.

As you can't, you have the option to interpretate it as you want. But then you are killing the Artist (because the artists and the idea are not needed anymore and the symbols are tools for your own ego).
    To wit:
    Quote Originally Posted by TvTropes
    Death Of The Author is a concept from the field of literary criticism which holds that an author's intentions and biographical facts (politics, religion, etc) should hold no weight when coming to an interpretation of his or her writing; that is, that a writer's interpretation of his own work is no more valid than the interpretations of any of the readers.
    This is why postmodernism (and/or democracy) is a load of bullshit.
    Last edited by Delphinus; 04-17-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    SPOILER! :

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    To wit:

This is why postmodernism (and/or democracy) is a load of bullshit.
    YOU CAN'T....DESTROY...THE DEMOCRASAY!

I dunno...a lot of modern art I don't like because it does seem like it took little effort or skill in its creation. I don't mind if it exists, and I can respect its existence (if it's say, a way to help break free from the old rules that restricted creativity, which is what Manet kinda helped start (Monet, too, but Impressionism is different from what Manet was doing.) I like some modern art, like Klee and some of Newman's stuff, or even Pollack since there's some busy-ness going on. Maybe not a lot of effort, but it's appealing to the eyes.

Now-a-days I do feel a lot of it is a rip off. I mean, I see what Yoko Ono was doing with her "happening" where you cut off a piece of her clothing (women's issues and such,) but on the other hand, something like licking jam off of a car with a bunch of people....I think that's licking jam off a car with a bunch of people...not art. Even if I was partaking in the act with them, I'd just be thinking "gee, I'm licking jam off this car w/ others. Ew. Hope I don't catch some creeping crud and die." Maybe I just don't get it.

I like some color field, but most I think is just laziness. Sorry if I miss the point. :\

SPOILER! :

I like:

and

I don't like:

I like:

but not this:
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique