Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3D Anime / Manga Art Hobby

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Aren't there student versions of most of these industry software's you can get for much, much cheaper? Like this for example: Education Suite 2011 which has Maya, 3ds max, Softimage, Motion Builder, and Mudbox for $349.95 (regular price $5,000USD).

But I'm not a student anymore... and I'm going to use it for commercial purpose. Besides, isn't that education/student suite is country specific?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Yes, it's open to US residents only - or at least those who attend school in the US. This probably isn't the case but I'll ask anyways: Is there any kind of similar program like this in your country? Where software's are made available for students and teachers for a discounted rate?

Cinema 4D the best, Says Rick Bruce

There is, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Student versions tend to have limitations, and a lot of hoops to jump through even if it works as the full version (i.e. permissions, upgrade limitations, etc.). If you are a student though there are plenty of sites that offer student versions, but because of the suck factor I still would not blow on a student version.

That is why I say, what people may not know here is that Cinema 4D offers a base package about the price of Photoshop, for which you can add modules as you go for more advanced features, which by the way are as powerful as all that come with the leading packages, Maya, Max, XSI, ... AND, I've used most top packages and Maya is the top dog for a good reason, which I used extensively, and then I tried Cinema 4D (I am not a salesman I swear!), but I liked it a lot, yeah a lot, better. I could go through feature by feature and demonstrate what I like better, and why. Cinema 4D can handle any size that MAYA or Max can and more, but isn't a clusterf-- to use, but is really nice, with good common sense control. Furthermore, seeing your work rendered is one of the nicest things in the work flow, and the fact anyone who has used both will tell you, C4D has a beautiful, fast, powerful and reliable renderer, both in work window (Maya not, last I checked). But here is another thing really important: You can put Cinema 4D on any laptop, even an ultralight with minimal graphics hardware, and still do lots of stuff with what speed you have. Maya will not even run on smaller machines, (I tried myself). I like to take my work with me, so I love my C4D for that. With an opening package of all you need to get started learning the huge learning curve of 3D for $750 (and no need to lose that money to upgrade), it's just the no brainer. Better than $3,500 to find out you don't like it or it's too hard, (which not to be negative but fact is often the case.)

I never really loved working with 3D until I tried Cinema 4D, but I have really been jamming it since I picked it up. You can export by the way to Maya format, for professional pipeline purposes, but you might find what I did if you do it for hobby that this is way nicer to use. Also you get great free support for your questions for independent sites like C4Dcafe, and they speak human. Hardest thing to make in digital graphics is a realistic human, and I'm no genius but I'm proud to have accomplished my own from scratch. It impresses like nothing else because of the technical hurdle. MAXON will sell you a info CD that tells you how to do it for a hundred bucks, (compare that to collage programs starting at 20k), and plenty of other great tutorials free for details. Who-Hoo!
    Yabu-Undies-multi

And... A little more I made With Cinema

I'm just getting started... so check it out, Mikey...

sarah_bal_cam5-hbars

GYMNAST-3D-2

X01-Fighter-Rick-Bruce

Rei-8x11-port-1

FYI, US$750 is a LOT for me (or anyone with average income) in my country, let alone some students. That's why Blender is pretty popular here (because it's free, what else)... but not Anim8or (I know this one from a US friend).

I don't know if there's student package for MAYA or 3DSMAX in my country (I'm very sure there is one for Microsoft Office though)... not that relevant though, since I'm not a student anymore. I'm a teacher, yeah, but I want to use those software for commercial purpose, not education one.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I'm pretty sure if you buy an educational license that you could use it for commerical needs just as much as students could.

Nothing Like the Real Thing, Baby...

LVUER: Yeah I know what you mean about money, it is a lot, even that reduced price, but there are strategies you might consider to get the real deal. Mainly, buy an older version on eBay, I just saw Cinema 4D 8.0 for Mac for $200, which useless by itself, but, you can then upgrade to a current version for PC for quite a bit less. I recently bought Photoshop CS, a full retail version for $200, and is actually good enough for me, but after registering it I could get CS5 latest edition for about the same and save $200 or more.

Again I do not recommend education version for multiple reasons, and no, you cannot use it for commercial purposes, and not be committing a crime, and it is not worth it. Furthermore, you cannot sell it later nearly as easily. You see all these education versions for sale on ebay and such, from fools and dealers who have not figured out education versions suck, and you might as well have invested in the real deal. On that same note I also do not recommend using stolen software, like they have on eBay from China for a small fraction of the cost, (and tell yourself, hey, I didn't know) they look real, but are pirated, it is theft, and not worth it. Also beware buying used from people, who say they are an original owner, but they bought a pirated version and want to dump it on you, or any dealer who says they are a distributor who burns their own discs by license. They are all crooks and won't enjoy success in the long run. For I say, if you are honest, and your ways pleasing to God, and you ask, you might be surprised at how a way opens up for you.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    . . . What?

Also are those your models in the last post?

Red face Yup

"What?" What what?

Yup. I used the cube method. Modeling is what I have mastered the most, but texturing I have a lot to learn. Also as you can see, I don't have the hair module. It took me a while to figure it out, it takes patients, but like I said, it is really rewarding to have achieve the hardest thing in digital graphics, making a realistic human in 3D from scratch.

But I am not at the level of professionals like you see at CGSociety dot org. Some of those artists make the most amazing stuff, and can do it way faster than I could ever dream, but for an average Joe hobbyist I'm pretty happy. I did already have a base of human drawing in 2D, which helps quite a bit since you make your profile sketches, scan them in, then make your model around them, but some people just start to finish in program. What I have not done is how most pros now work where you start in Zbrush (a sculpting type program) then you export that into a program like Cinema 4D or Maya for your finish work and or animation.

3D-Fashion-Figure-RB

weight-prog-2

Lay-bae-sarah-gymnast-face

sarah-face-pencil2

yabu-side-open-mouth2