Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: E3 2011

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    They're probably going to slap-dash something together by next year and then release in 2013. Or maybe they'll just offer another 360 but with better stats and a different moniker attached to it. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    XBOX thinks the Kinect is a good enough to not get working on a new Console.
    I think you are misunderstanding Microsoft tactic. They are working on the Kinect because obviously needs work (a lot of) and they are trying to extend the use life of the 360. Also Kinect gave a advantage for younger consumers which are the ideal for any company.

What really bother is: If everything they are doing to extend the use life of the 360 (with live) its going to benefice a next gen made by Microsoft, and obviously when this new gen is going to be released. We need to think that most games are made for more than one console, so if they release a new gen later it can be prejudicial to sells, and so if they do that soon.

Microsoft in a mater of marketing is playing safe and defensive, while Nintendo obviously go to his own steps and Sony has no other way than play aggressive (after the down of the psnetwork they have a big lost in trust of their old consumers and have damaged their reputation for new consumers).

If you want to know who is really winning here, is Nintendo. Even if most games aren't focus to us, they win a mater of people buying.

For rpg games.

I'm not interested in Skyrim, but I have my eyes on Kingdom of Alamur: Reckoning (it has a glorious crew).
    Last edited by ClockHand; 06-10-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    From what I can tell, people really love RPGs with crappy combat and hundreds of pointless sidequests. I played Morrowind and dropped the Elder Scrolls series forever. Damn you, Toonami, for giving me stale advice.
    the flaw in this is the fact that morrowind and oblivion are both amazing games o-o

Yay opinions.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Yes, you may have liked the games...but how does that address the fact that they have shitty combat and tons of pointless sidequests? o_o Or the fact that many people love games that demonstrate the same flaws (ahemFalloutahem)? For a game where you spend maybe 80% of the time fighting things, beit for plot progression or to complete a sidequest, they really should've made a fighting system that didn't play like Doom '95 in third-person.

Though the style of Kingdom Hearts may not be for everyone, I'd say it's a model for Action-RPGs as far as the combat. Most of the time spent in that game is invested in combat and I enjoyed every second of it. Story lost me by the end of the second game, and characters are growing into stale cookie-cutter personas, but the combat is just so engaging. And the sidequests are all important somehow, despite there not being 400 of them. I can settle for a handful of worthwhile sidequests as opposed to 400 inconsequential tasks...

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Yay opinions.
    Ahem.

KH is grand although I did skip most of the cutscenes.

i dont see why people hate the combat in oblivion so much, i can understand it a bit in morrowind because it is stupidly frustrating flailing a sword at something in front of you and missing constantly if your skill isnt high enough but in oblivion its fine

Combat in Oblivion is fine but the levelling system is shitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    People hate the combat in oblivion because it isn't combat.

It's a graphical representation of math and die-rolling disguised as combat. Any actual "combat" aspects to it are badly integrated, plagued by stiff and sluggish movement and repetitive. And what's worse is that there is no evidence of the fact that your character actually gets //better// at fighting. He just hits harder and tanks more shots.

Combat in any game that dares to call itself real-time or action-oriented should be more than just a representation of combat. It should also give the player the experience of fighting. TSE simply doesn't.

101 Dalmations Member neogenstru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Very interesting. I hope it'll be better than Oblivion. Then again, I played that game on the lowest possible graphics settings, and chopping a guy with a sword doesn't really feel the same when he doesn't bleed and falls down in the crappiest excuse for ragdoll of all time. Seriously, it's like there was no force factor at all.

^That said, I loved Oblivion and I'll probably love Skyrim, even if it turns out less than I expected. One thing I really liked in the trailer was the fights with the dragons. They were dynamic and unpredictable and operated like what I perceive a fight with a dragon to be. They crash when you damage them enough, and their animations when hitting the ground look like they're actually hitting the ground. This is one of the only areas in video games, in my opinion, where graphics make a difference: immersion.

Considering this game is still in development something tells me it'll blow Oblivion clear outta the water, the coolest part is probably the ability to learn dragon spells I always wanted to speak dragonese >: D