Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lady Annette Colored something digitally????

In an industial size tub of Plaster of Paris
    I am not saying she's wrong, but it *does* look that way on me when I wear that dress. So I just kinda went with it. Maybe my spatial veiw is off. It has also been about a year since I've drawn a full body so I do need to refresh my anatomy.

The lines on the corset do need help BUT that is the result of me being lazy.
    Last edited by ladyannette; 04-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Looks pretty nice so far. I agree that the arms look a little long. I'm not sure if you've studied proportions much but a good rule to remember is that your hands should only reach halfway down the thigh. Even while accommodating for the volume of the clothes, her shoulders are wider than her hips. My preference would be for wider hips to emphasize her femininity. Keep up the nice work.

I'll work on it. i didn't realize how badly I needed refreshing.

You said that it looked a certain way when you wear it. Were you using a photo of yourself when you drew this? Or were you posing in a mirror while drawing?

The reason I ask, is that a photo can capture angles and anatomy in a way that looks rather distorted. Having a solid sense of anatomy before using photo ref can help you solve those inconsistencies and problems in a way that more easily translates to the viewer. Anatomy and understanding it is a lifelong pursuit.

At any rate, don't take our criticism personally. I remember the first time I posted here. It was hard to hear criticism when it already took a lot of courage to just put it up for others to look at. Even if you disagree, there's usually some merit in what everyone says. We all want to see each other improve.

I used my full length mirror.

*this isn't my first learn-to-draw forum. and on the other one, the people were alot meaner.*

EDIT: I figured it out! The reason that arm looks so long is I forgot to add the cuff and ribbon on that side. when I went back and re added in the guides over the ink to figure it out, I saw what I had done.
    Last edited by ladyannette; 04-12-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Agh, I hate getting to threads after everyone else has already critiqued. Now I can't add anything. /excusebecauseIcan'tcritiqueanyway

New stuff?

Actually, yes.

I haven't inked it yet and her hand for some reason looks like an octopus.....

I'm also gonna rate this one "Filthy Victorian".
    SPOILER! :

Another stripey corset!

Still gonna make you click on it...
    A Monochrome Rose,
    the last of her kind,
    Faded from red to a grey
    with the movement of time.

I think what's making her body look off it the shape of her torso. You drew her hips as much smaller than her shoulder, while most women's hips are approximately the same size as her shoulders. And while wearing a victorian corset, her waist would be sinched.
    For example, this ancient photo of me in while i had a victorian style corset on:
    SPOILER! :

Corsets also push your boobs into a different shape.

Also, I agree, those curls are awesome! And I love the outfit, though I don't think a a proper victorian woman would be wearing her undergarments over her shirt. ;]

I really love the pose in the second one! The only problem I really have with it is that her corset it on backwards. xD

But yeah, overall very nice stuff! I like your poses and your attention to detail! And your outfits designs are really great too. ;]

The "backwards" corset is actually a drawing of one I'm getting. My Kenzy picked it out.

Aand no one said Annette was a proper Victorian. ^^

Yeah, I really need to keep practicing. It been a while since I've worn a corset (mine broke ages ago) so I don't really remember what it all looks like.

Also: Inked version!
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by ladyannette; 04-14-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    A Monochrome Rose,
    the last of her kind,
    Faded from red to a grey
    with the movement of time.

Hey-o, I have a question. I'm clicking on the pictures, and they are still teeny tiny, so I can't really see them very well. Just a question, once on your image sight, what do I need to click to make it the picture bigger? I sometimes like to leave critiques (especially since I need critiques, too.) I just can't see them well enough to give any input. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong--everyone else seems to be able to view them fine on your site :\
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique