Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Awesome criminally underated games you like.

Awesome criminally underated games you like.

The title pretty much describes it.
    We all know some games wich are friggin awesome, but are severely underated.

1. Call of Cthulhu - dark corners of the earth (PC)

Seriously, this game is the fucking bomb!
    I mean, it has fucking Cthulu in it! CTHULU!!
    It has great atmosphere, story and unique gameplay.
    the only downside: it's glitchy and buggy like hell, mainly because it's not entirely finished. now i know what you're thinking: "But Baron, if they didn't finish it, why did they release it in the first place?".
    well, that's quitte simple. the developer Headfirst, went bankrupt when making this game luckily the game was nearly finished so Ubisoft and Bethesda tought: "you know what, fuck it. the game's nearly finished, we're going to release it anyway."
    what's worse is that they originaly planned on making 2 to 3 additional games...

2. Knights in the Nightmare (DS)

This little gem is really something special.
    it's a mix between RPG, RTS with some bullethell elements.
    As far as i know it's pretty rare too.
    Apparently you play the soul of a recently deceased king, and you command an army of the spirits of soldiers fallen in battle. i'm not fucking kidding here, see for yourself and pick it up sometime. might i add that the sprites look simply astonishing?

3. Clive Barker's Undying (PC)

If i was to describe this game with 1 word it would be "creepy".
    seriously, the atmosphere in this game is simply frightning, and really helps to set the mood. It contains a lot of Lovecraftian influences (a statue that begs you to kill it by cutting out it's heart, thus flooding the goddamned room with it's blood. seriously, WTF Clive?!)

There's a difference between geniune horror and just being plain disturbing (like, Amnesia: Dark Descent compared to Return to Last Save Point). I might try Undying if it's more on the horror side. Knights in the Nightmare actually looks decent. Call of Cthulhu--how easily modded is it? I'm pretty sure someone could mod some bugfixes in.

I'm gonna risk recommending a game everyone knows about, and say:

CAVE STORY

I think it's already been posted in the indie games section, but I'm gonna put it here anyway because it deserves the attention. It's a side-scrolling platformer on the surface, but the story and characters underneath it are just awesome. A very charming, very well-done game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Call of Cthulhu--how easily modded is it? I'm pretty sure someone could mod some bugfixes in.
    Well i forgot to mention that someone DID make a homebrew patch, just google it and you're set.
    but it only fixes the real major bugs, such as the game freezing up during the cutscenes.
    you will however be seeing floating, talking eyeballs ocasionally, and characters disapearing and re-apearing when you walk away and come back a few seconds later.

And Undying, isn't your typical *takes deep breath* holyshit-a-monster-just-popped-out-off-nowhere-and-i-think-i-just-shat-my-fucking-pants horror (i'm looking at you Doom3). it actually has a decent story. oh and as far as i know it only has 1 jack-in-the-box moment.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    @ Matt
    Our indie section is in the last forum so yeah, pimp it out!

Recettear

I'm currently addicted to playing this game. <3 <3

Rocket Slime

Who can resist tank battles? With Slimes?!

Touch Detective & Touch Detective 2 1/2

Love this series! Quirky characters, stories, and awesome sound track.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Baron View Post
    1. Call of Cthulhu - dark corners of the earth (PC)

I have this on Xbox, yo, and that version isn't buggy at all! Extremely atnospheric and original, but also has extremely unforgiving gameplay. The health system that gives you realistic wounds like broken bones was (horribly) nice, and the level design is fantastic... Too bad I can never seem to get all that far. x_x

CAVE STORY
    Beaten all of this game up to Ballos' last form. Really don't know why everybody calls it "charming", through... I think the really great areas are the ones that make you feel lonely or isolated. Seriously, through, the game mechanics alone easily let it stand amongst the ranks of the 2D Castlevania or Metroid games. It's bottled brilliance. :3

/////////////////////////////

Now...

LEAGUE DOGS! WELCOME TO EARTH!

Really, the entire Armored Core series gets too little appreciation in the west. More than just a robot sim, I describe it as a combination of Mechwarrior, Grand Turisimo and Deus Ex... What other game series actually gives you the option to become the ultimate monster in human history? In a giant nuke-spewing robot no less? The characterisations are always a bit vague, with zero face-to-face conversations ever taking place, but I think that just re-enforces the idea that the pilot is litterally the player. Even "dying" in a mission only really puts you in monetary debt... It's immersive as hell as long as you play "you".

Oh yeah, and the music is fantastic.

Up and comming is AC5, which is apparently going to be an MMO... One which actually encorages you to make money by smashing other collectively-formed player companies. I'm in love already. *_*...
    Last edited by Regantor; 04-11-2011 at 07:04 PM.

What platforms are AC5 going to be available for?

Phantom dust is the answer to this thread.

Dammit reg I was going to say that. Armored core is amazing but about as user friendly as a flaming cactus chair but when you succeed it's very satisfying, it was YOUR effort and YOUR machine that kicked ass.

BTW reg what system do you have?

Also I like panther better
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz7Ht...eature=related

I love Armored Core series. I just know that AC series doesn't sell well in the west. Too bad really.

@ Hayashida; So far AC 5 is supposedly said to be on xbox360 and PS3. I'd post the current teasers from youtube, but they don't really reveal that much anyway... :/

@ Outcast; As for the difficulty curve, yeah, it can be harsh. It gives you a whole pile of nice tools and no combination is that's really "right"... This sort of thinking allows you to try and kill motherwill with only two kojima fists equiped, mind. :3... I have a 360, also.

@ LVUER; Yeah, guess it IS a mecha series in the end... Just kinda a shame when you think about the fact that transformers game probally made an equal-ish ammount of money to ACFA in some places. Better advertising would be nice, Ubisoft. >_>