Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have a weird relationship with anime (blog-ish post)

In an industial size tub of Plaster of Paris
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    @Ladyannet

I don't get it, you have a japanese flag? I don't even have a flag of my country in my bed room, and in the national parties when you are forced to have one in the backyard, I'm extremely disgusted (nationalism for the losers).

I don't know how Otaku is a bad word, is the same as nerd (for me at least). So i'ts not bad, but rather has becone bad by the bad representants who call themselfs otakus (weeabos).

Also I don't get your logic, because any of those propositions let you deny that you are not a weeabo (you need a propostion that define weeabo first).

And finally, how old are you? I think this is rather important, because if you see a 14 years old kid with a naruto shirt and running like a ninja on the street, more than a weeabo, he is just a kid. But having 24 or more, make you a weeabo and creepy.
    "Otaku" was an old word meaning posession ("it's yours" or "it's your thing") in Japanese. Now it has come to mean "40 year old dude who obsesses over pokemon and lives in his parent's basement because he's too busy going to con to get a job" and is an insult in Japan.

The flag was a gift from a WWII vetran in my neighborhood. He gave it to me for Christmas.

I was trying to illustrate that some people (like me) are just interested in different countries and shouldn't have to avoid taking interest in Japan because the true weeaboos (the obssessors who really don't know a thing as illustrated by Person X) and how people really should learn the facts before jumping to conclusions and name calling. I also don't think weeaboos are restricted to anime/Japan related stuff. I've found people who claim to be big fans of certain bands but can only name one song. I've found people who claim to love certain authors and their works but have only read one title.

And I am 16 thank you.
    Last edited by ladyannette; 04-12-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    A Monochrome Rose,
    the last of her kind,
    Faded from red to a grey
    with the movement of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyannette View Post
    The flag was a gift from a WWII vetran in my neighborhood. He gave it to me for Christmas.
    This make everything a lot more nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyannette View Post
    I was trying to illustrate that some people (like me) are just interested in different countries and shouldn't have to avoid taking interest in Japan because the true weeaboos (the obssessors who really don't know a thing as illustrated by Person X) and how people really should learn the facts before jumping to conclusions and name calling. I also don't think weeaboos are restricted to anime/Japan related stuff. I've found people who claim to be big fans of certain bands but can only name one song. I've found people who claim to love certain authors and their works but have only read one title.

And I am 16 thank you.
    Yes, still, your proposition's doesn't tell us if you are or not a weeabo and under that, if you are or not biased by your own being.

You have 16, making you young and naive, and with a critery that is still in developtment. I wouldn't call you a weeabo, but I would call you young.

About that culture exposure bit. I think I'm slightly scarred.

True story: While I was flying back from the States, a Korean uni group asked me for directions (in Korean, obviously). As I stopped to buy stuff in Tokyo the shopkeepers bowed and said unintelligible things in Japanese (at which point I would smile, say "Domo!" and run for it after handing them the money), and when I transited through Taiwan the customs officers told me what to do in Mandarin.

Yeah. Having the generic Asian face doesn't really help at all when you're flying overseas, unless you're looking for a nightmare of awkward moments. Apparently even speaking in English gets me in trouble, because when I went to Singapore the friends my friends knew said "We thought you were Singaporean until you started talking!" ... Gee, thanks, guys.
    Last edited by Hamachi; 04-12-2011 at 11:24 PM.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    I had always though weeaboo applied to people who know nothing about japanese culture/history aside from anime and japanese pop-culture, but make themselves out to be experts on the country, and everything about it.

Fenn, A good Shonen anime I recommend is Soul Eater. My relationship with anime is weird. I enjoy watching it, but rarely am I ever engrossed by a show enough to watch two or more episodes in one sitting.

Yep. There are people who are culturally aware and other people who try to blend in a foreign country by doing stuff like this:

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    You check out Baki the Grappler and TOUGH yet, Fenn?

@Hamachi

He was trying to find the Asian Plan for World Conquest.

I've wanted to read baki for ages but the art is too grotesque for me. I've heard that the artist does that on purpose for deep reasons but I just can't get past that.

Simple definitions.

Weeaboo: dumbshit.

Otaku: Otacon-smarts.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
    I had always though weeaboo applied to people who know nothing about japanese culture/history aside from anime and japanese pop-culture, but make themselves out to be experts on the country, and everything about it.

Fenn, A good Shonen anime I recommend is Soul Eater. My relationship with anime is weird. I enjoy watching it, but rarely am I ever engrossed by a show enough to watch two or more episodes in one sitting.
    Soul Eater, got it. I never watch for more than an hour either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Yep. There are people who are culturally aware and other people who try to blend in a foreign country by doing stuff like this:

Maybe he just likes wearing that hat? Right? Riiiiight...?

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    You check out Baki the Grappler and TOUGH yet, Fenn?
    When my life lets me breathe I will.