Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have a weird relationship with anime (blog-ish post)

Hybrid View

Fenn

I have a weird relationship with anime (blog-ish post)

I find myself at an awkward, half-decade long impasse in my anime fandom. For a time I was a solid fan of the "typical" animes, mostly Pokemon for a long time and then Yu-Gi-Oh. Eventually, though, I outgrew those shows, while my love of drawing them only heightened. The more I drew anime, the less I watched it.

I never got into manga despite loving it as well. I own the first 4 chapters of Buso-Renkin which were decent, and 2 books from the Kingdom Hearts manga which I LOVED. But still, as my artistic skills got better I just never got hooked.

So I feel completely out of place. I love anime and manga, draw it often, but never watch it even though the commercials, forums, and my friends all make them sound so interesting. I'm lost as to what to do. Is anyone else in my position, or am I a unique case?

You are probably developing taste and as that happens anime is going to seem less and less appealing as most of it doesn't really rely on strength of writing. I'm not an expert on the anime/manga industry but it seems that due to the incredibly competitive nature of the business concepts thrown at editors are more important than actual writing skill. I mean dont get me wrong -- shonen manga is one of my guilty pleasures. But I never read them to be stimulated. I just like cool fights.

If you're still interested in anime you may just have to work harder to find stuff you'll like which usually isn't the "mainstream" stuff. Man I hate that word. There are lots of shows that won't insult your intelligence, you just have to search for them.

Also busou renkin is super cliche but is basically a better version of bleach and includes one of the most awesome fictional characters of all time -- Papillon Mask.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    You are probably developing taste and as that happens anime is going to seem less and less appealing as most of it doesn't really rely on strength of writing. I'm not an expert on the anime/manga industry but it seems that due to the incredibly competitive nature of the business concepts thrown at editors are more important than actual writing skill. I mean dont get me wrong -- shonen manga is one of my guilty pleasures. But I never read them to be stimulated. I just like cool fights.

If you're still interested in anime you may just have to work harder to find stuff you'll like which usually isn't the "mainstream" stuff. Man I hate that word. There are lots of shows that won't insult your intelligence, you just have to search for them.

Also busou renkin is super cliche but is basically a better version of bleach and includes one of the most awesome fictional characters of all time -- Papillon Mask.
    I think that's it...most of them are either too slow-paced or too cliche. I suppose the stuff that worked when I was 10 won't now. Thanks for the reply, I think I'll try to focus on manga over anime for awhile; it makes for a better drawing reference anyway.

So I'm not an isolated case then?

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Definitely not. A lot of people feel the same way -- I know this because I've heard it from the mouths of many people -- you just have to find something that you will enjoy reading/watching. If you need some suggestions, ask and you shall receive.

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    I'm in that exact same position. XD I barely watch anime or read manga these days, unless webcomics can count as manga. However, I decided to give Higurashi a go tonight because it sounded interesting, and I'm enjoying it so far. So if you have no place to start, might want to give it a look-see.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander_Hamilton View Post
    ...However, I decided to give Higurashi a go tonight because it sounded interesting...
    lol. Did someone suggest this to you? If so, they're a cruel person. For a person who doesn't regularly watch anime, Higurashi is an ironic choice as it represents a very...extreme archetype that appeals to a very narrow audience.

You will see what I mean.

Saying you don't have interest in anime is like saying you don't have interest in live-action. Anime is way too huge of a thing to clump together into a giant brick. It's a type of programming, not a genre or something--you know what I mean? You just gotta find what TYPE of anime you're interested in.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 04-10-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Fenn
    Well I feel relieved now. However, I'm not sure it's that I don't have an interest in anime...just not in anime as entertainment. For some odd reason, I'm indifferent about watching it, but totally enthused about anime as an art form.

Still, I'll certainly explore some anime to see if I find something I like. I know one big interest I have is in combat heavy anime that have a "science" to the battles. A big example would be like how in Naruto the spectating characters actually comment on and analyze the match-up. Basically an anime series that promotes in-depth "who would win in a fight between____________." conversation. That stuff I really enjoy.
    Last edited by Fenn; 04-10-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Your genre is: Shonen.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I never watch Anime anymore. But I read manga every so often. I just find the art and story so much more.. raw.

But I barely draw anime style anymore..

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    You should try some martial arts or sports anime then. They're really big on techniques, training regimens, and all that usually.* But yeah, I get what you're feeling. I hardly watch anime anymore and if I do watch, it's only because I liked reading the manga that I check out the animated version.

* Some recommended titles:
    Kenji - details martial arts movements, history, and techniques
    Capeta - kart racing.. and later F1
    Ookiku Furikabutte - baseball; read the manga, it's much easier to follow than the anime as far as tactics and strategy go
    Fantasista - soccer
    Hunter x Hunter - martial arts (by the same guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho)
    Rurouni Kenshin - martial arts (by the same guy who did Buso Renkin)
    Battle Angel Alita & Battle Angel Alita: The Last Order - martial arts/sci-fi