Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Games should have a limit?

Between the first circle of the Inferno & DisneyLand
    Well depends

-First, what kinda violence restrictions.

I mean, I played Mortal Kombat when I was like 5, Resident evil at 10, American McGee's Alice at 14.

It depends on the kind of kid, I mean, I know that s**t like pedophilia and rape are bad, I even hate it, but in videogames and anime, well, I like it, I've played RapeLay since I was 15, I like it, but not for that I'm going to go raping little 9 year olds, I mean it's a game.

Not because a kid sees it in a game it's going to do it, and the job of a parent is to acknowledge the kid what the deal is, Like where the baby's come from, it's better to talk about that like when the kid is 5 or 6 years old because that way the kid doesn't get it with perversion, but like something normal. So I don't think that games must have a limit, they just need like a warning of the games content, like the ratings have, so that way, you know exactly what your buying (or downloading , I dont even care), but just telling the children that is a game and not to try imitating the action seen in said games.

P.S: used to play Mortal Kombat 2 all the time with my mom, she always kicked my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by 261
    To my knowledge there are limitations in place on what a game can and cannot include. While crimes like robbery and murder are acceptable, things that would cause red flags amongst parents (such as rape, torture and pedophilia) are not. I could be wrong, however. If there aren't any rules, I'm sure that most developers leave it to common sense when it comes to what they put into the games since the games need to pass through ratings boards before they are allowed to hit the market.

From a personal standpoint, I think it's best if these sorts of limitations are in place. There needs to be a line in order to let one know what they can and cannot do. However, I only support this up to a certain level. If the rules are too strict and the games start to suck horribly as a result, I will be very upset.
    But then you have the movie industry in which they have no limitations kids will
    act what they see on the TV rather then the video games,

the movie & TV industry Had zero limitations on such rape,murder even sometimes brutal ones which they had to edit those parts in the scene.

Video games do not cause violence.

Every video game developer should have rights of creative no matter what type of a game it is.

This is kinda related. Ninja Steal reminded me of this.

I wish movie theaters would actually enforce their own rules. If a movie is R or PG-13, I'm sick of this crap where if the parent is in attendance with the 1 year old, it's okay.

No, it's not okay. You know why? Because even though you get the warning to shut off your cellphone and leave the theater if the baby starts crying THEY NEVER LEAVE.I swear, if a movie's inappropriate for a kid, he shouldn't be there. I had to listen to screaming babies and scared kids when I went to see the new Harry Potter, and trust me, I wasted my $8 dollars. I hate how everyone else's rights are infringed upon by stupid selfish people who want to see something even at the cost of traumatizing their kid and ruining the film for others.

And the thing that really ticked me, is that the stupid woman would leave just before I was getting up to rat on them (cause yeah, I'm that big of a b*tch if I'm spending $20 on a film including the ridiculous cost of drinks and popcorn.) Then she came back and the same thing happened! Get a baby sitter. A relative or something.

Sorry, I had to vent on that. But it's the same idea. The film didn't need to be censored, the audience needed to be filtered.

Between the first circle of the Inferno & DisneyLand
    That's a good point

Quote Originally Posted by 596
    But then you have the movie industry in which they have no limitations kids will
    act what they see on the TV rather then the video games,
    What is seen in movies and what is seen in video games are roughly about the same. Violence and things of that nature are of course blatantly obvious, but for things like rape, creative license is used in order to help the viewer imply that it is happening. Regardless of the source, kids will see and act but, sadly, many people seem to fear videogames more and as a result lash out at one but not the other.

the movie & TV industry Had zero limitations on such rape,murder even sometimes brutal ones which they had to edit those parts in the scene.
    I disagree with you on this. If the movie and TV industry had zero limitations, you'd see rape scenes and scenes of that nature without any restriction. The reason things are done the way they are in movies is not because they had to edit those parts. In addition to being limited by ratings boards, companies must take into account what will and will not make them money after the product is released. The more graphic the product, the less it will sell if the parents know what's in it.

Video games do not cause violence.
    In some instances, yes, it does. While a majority of gamers can understand the difference between reality and fantasy, there are some who are not. You yourself may fall into the category of the former, but it doesn't mean there aren't kids who fall into the latter. Thinking there aren't those who can be influenced by video games (or TV and movies) is merely wishful thinking. Put down the game controller and read the news every once in a while. You'd be surprised at what you see.

Every video game developer should have rights of creative no matter what type of a game it is.
    Video game companies have the right to be very creative with their products so long as they are not stepping over certain boundaries. The boundaries that are set, however, are not all through the ratings boards; common sense and knowledge play a part as well. For the times where a company does go a little too far, however, it is usually in the best interest of all parties -- developer/publisher and consumer -- if they are asked to change something or accept a higher rating (for instance, going from a Teen rating to an Adult rating) if change is impossible. (The Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas "Hot Coffee" issue comes to mind at this point.)

Fenn
    No limit. Let me explain.

There are already "limits" in place from the start when games are made. These limits are based on the people who play the games. Put it this way; if a game with intense sexual themes and gore is going to make millions of dollars, that means there are millions of people who think it is okay to view or "virtually perform" those actions. It moves beyond the mediums of experience, such as movies, games etc, and onto the values of the people buying and playing them.

Actions which are legal in games but illegal in reality are illegal because they actually effect other humans in real life, but in video games its just pixels. For an adult with a fully developed value system, chances are if they're willing to do the action in a video game they either will do it in real life, or want to but fear the repercussions. The one exception is children playing games.

Children are still learning, still exploring their world. Thus, they will have a tougher time determining right from wrong. The solution: parents! Like many of you said, parents must be on top of their children's actions. And don't tell me they can't Xbox and Wii both have parental controls, and I'm fairly certain they can set a password. They can look at website history on the computer to see where their children have been surfing. If they realize their child has been abusing his computer priveleges or turning off parental controls, that privelege is taken away. If a parent has no time at all to watch their child, they are either in dire living circumstances (forgiven) or too lazy/unconcerned (inexcusable).

You can't force people to believe in the same values as you; you can only try to convince them. If adults want to go play disgusting, repulsive games, and developers want to make said games, I say go ahead. They aren't hurting anyone else.

Make it the store's decision whether they want to advertise or sell these games, and parent's decision whether they want their kids playing said games.

I would say video games cause violence because I had my own experience just earlier. I was playing Gran Turismo 5 and I was trying to do that stupid jeff gordon nascar thing and I had to go through this pylon course in 13.300 seconds and couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. The closest I got was 13.313. Needless to say I got angry and started screaming profanities in my head and flipped off the console.
    So I would agree that in some cases video games cause violence.

Quote Originally Posted by 3
    I would say video games cause violence because I had my own experience just earlier. I was playing Gran Turismo 5 and I was trying to do that stupid jeff gordon nascar thing and I had to go through this pylon course in 13.300 seconds and couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. The closest I got was 13.313. Needless to say I got angry and started screaming profanities in my head and flipped off the console.
    So I would agree that in some cases video games cause violence.
    Sorry but video games causing angry hasn't been proven, plus there a lot of other things that could have made you mad after playing Gran Turismo 5.

I Have been playing a lot of violent games and nothing has happened to me, video games keep me relaxed.

You know that he was joking right.

Yes I know, i was only making a point for others.