5. Check your freaking grammar. Won’t take more than 5 minutes.
6. SPELLING. IT’S WHAT WE WENT TO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FOR. CHECK IT.
7. Mary Sue, Gary Stu, Mystery Stew. Just please, avoid it at all costs.” A Mary Sue is a female character that is so perfect that she is annoying. The name originated in a very short Star Trek story that mocked the sort of female characters who showed up in fanfiction. It usually refers to original female characters put into fanfiction, but can refer to any character. The male equivalent is Gary Stu”. – Urban Dictionary
8. You are not original. A vast majority of ideas stem from other ideas. A story should try to have originality in it but remember, a story is driven by conflict and characters, and not I’M ORIGINAL CUZ MY CHARACTER CAN FLY AND SEE IN THE DARK. YAAAY!
9. Read a book older than yourself, and a real challenge, your parents.
10. Don’t get criticism, get GOOD criticism. Ask everyone, even your freaking cat/goldfish/turtle/imaginary friend. If you only ask your peers or parents or a specific group you will get biased feedback.
11. Sit down and write. If you can’t write about what you’ve been working on then just make a list of random words. This is assuming you actually remembered or cared to bring a pencil to school for once.
12. The internet. The only person who has not heard of this must be deaf or live in a third world country. But even in a third world country they use cell phones. Use the internet if you’re stuck or need help.
13. Read your story out loud to yourself. I know, it’s embarrassing, but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and maybe more paranoid.
14. The Amazing Bastard: A Bad guy that actually wins. Those are real, now write about it.
15. Write about what you know and care about. If you don’t know about anything it look at #13, the Internet. If you don’t care about anything get some therapy
16. Stay organized. I keep all my drawings/writings in a laundry basket. When I have a writers/artists block or total brain fart I use whatever’s in the basket.
17. SAVE EVERYTHING. Mom keeps that kindergarten picture that you drew for a reason.
19. Buy a Dictionary/Thesaurus. There are mini ones that cost literally fewer than 3 dollars. If not, then download a spell check app or something on your cell phone.
20. Please don’t bore yourself/me/us/the world. If you don’t like what you’re writing, chances are that maybe someone else doesn’t and you’d be better off watching reruns of Family Guy.
21. WHY ARE YOU SO EMOTIONAL OH MY GAWD. JUST STOP BEING SO EMOTIONAL. Over emotional writing sucks, so do over emotional characters, and characters without emotion