Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxx_Wellington's Art Attempt

Arrow Maxx_Wellington's Art Attempt

Hey there, I know this is my second post, but don't be mad, please... I couldn't find my other one and I am really tired... so please be nice.

Anyways, I did my first digital inking and I realized after that I missed the shadow under the left arm, however other than that, I need help getting better.

This is the drawing I scanned... and it worked pretty good.....

sketch

and here is the finished work....

Photobucket
    Last edited by Maxx_Wellington; 04-01-2011 at 06:43 AM.

nice, simple and neat.....but your colour choices.... no offence, but, it could use more variety in saturation xD

you are right. I was going for something you would see in a children's art book, but I guess I didn't go all out. However I want to learn to make the lines more fluent... any tricks?
    Last edited by Maxx_Wellington; 04-04-2011 at 07:02 AM.

I want to thank doghateburger for her help and request more help from Manga tutorial...

also I drew this girl and would like help finishing her

Photobucket

And here is a coloured copy to help
    Photobucket

her mouth is closed btw and her shoes are those classic black and white retro sneakers

Tween Member
    I think that the girls proportions are off, the top half is alright ( except for her right bicep seems to be a lot bigger than the forearm) but the legs look too small. Also, you should look up a tutorial on folds in the cloth, because that would help you alot! All in all pretty good .

Looks like you've started drawing pretty recently. In that case, I highly recommend buying or illegally downloading a book called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards. It's one of the best drawing books out there, if not THE best. I guarantee you your pictures will look a lot better if you read it.

EDIT: Disregard above. You have to do the exercises in the book to really see improvement. Like Nisaren says below, nothing is a substitute for actually drawing.
    Last edited by Matt; 04-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.

The best way to improve is to just draw... a lot. Draw and then look at the piece and ask yourself, "Is there anything that doesn't look right?" Then try to fix what doesn't look correct. When you aren't able to figure out why it doesn't look right, then try reading some books on drawing as they are definitely helpful (although they aren't a substitute to actually drawing). And continue to bring your art here for critiques. Unlike some forums *coughconceptart.orgcough* we don't tear people down. And there's nothing that most of us like to see more than another artist progressing and getting better.

I think you should focus on doing a lot of sketches either pencil or digital. Don't worry about coloring them for now, just draw.

Thanks for your guys' imput: SparkyC, Matt and nisaren

The reason it looks so amateurish is that it's been a while since I drew a human being. I've been drawing bunnies and such.

However my hardest times in drawing is in hands and feet. That's why I asked for help in the most.

As for the coloured version, it was only because it was my first attempt of covering an eye with hair and doing a shoulder exposed like that with a design, so I wanted to show why there were random lines... I know that part sucks and it was made to suck....

Anyways, any help with drawing feet would be much appreciated.. As for now, I will take my time with this girl and redraw her. But I'll still need help with those feet....

FEET lol

I believe there are a few tutorials on drawing feet, even one on this very site. Not sure if you looked at the tutorials here at all but if not, then you should read through them. They're helpful. Here's the link to the feet tutorial.

The best way to learn how to draw feet though is to look at them and draw them from life. If you can't do that, then draw them from a photo. There are tons of photographs online that you can use for self-study. No amount of reading or advice will replace actually sitting down and drawing them. So do some studies of feet and draw only feet until you feel you have a better understanding.

^ That.

If you take off your shoes when you draw, you'll have two versatile references at your disposal. Those plus a mirror own. When you get into drawing hands, use your own as well. I can't believe how discouraged I got while drawing hands when I could have just looked at my own. All anime-style objects are based on real objects, made by the single best artist of all time (God or nature, depending on which you believe). There's no reason not to reference from life.