Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Drawing the female body!

101 Dalmations Member Wolfen300's Avatar

Help! Drawing the female body!

Alright, so far the thing that's killing me (or more properly, aggravating me to death) is that I can not for the life of me draw a female figure pleasantly. Like... Seriously. It always looks like the old sailor moon given steroid, which only affect random parts of the body. I've tried using the hour glass-esque method, but it's just horrible. Like an abomination. And the same thing happens when I try using stick figures and add bit by bit to make a mannequin, leading up to a monstrosity. I don't have the same problems with males so maybe I'm just not use to drawing females? Help please! I have got to figure out how to do justice to female characters! Otherwise my art will be a sausagefest that rots your eyes out. Hah.

The thing to understand with females is that they are basically the same composition as a male, the only difference being less accentuation of certain muscles and more padding with adipose tissues/fatty layers. However it sounds more like you are having a construction issue (suggested by the randomosity of the problems) rather than a stylistic issue. If I were to give you my opinion you would need to understand that is more a long term solution rather than a quick fix; results would be determined by the effort you invest. First of all is practice, bust out as many female references (real life and preferably nude if you are studying the anatomy in particular, no point in studying from an already stylized piece) from as many angles as possible and draw them as many of them as possible. There are many different methods out there to conquering the forms, whether that is analytically (skeleton and then adding muscles) or contour (concentrating on the forms the body takes) as well as gestures for creating scaffolding/blueprint for said figure to be built on. If you are not used to dealing with anatomy I would suggest looking up Loomis and Villpu, and then taking a look at working on gestures and building from simple forms into the body. Once you read and begin to understand the forms composing the body, you will swiftly be able to select areas you wish to act on for female figures – however a lot of this is also familiarisation.

However, if you are having a style problem then I would suggest looking through different artists interpretations of the female figure. Take a look at the images and see what the artist has done to show the femininity, maybe construct a list or two of areas you agree with and would want to include. From there you can actively work on it once you know the areas that make a figure come across as female. The masters of this can make a female figure that isn't just a hyper sexualized doll; there are a range of body types.

Lastly, share the images; you cannot be helped if you are reluctant to share your work.

EDIT: That is just my opinion at least, there are many different ways to achieve the same goal. I guess an other thing to note about females in general is that more... curvy arrangement (and if you are astute the antisymmtrical arrangement of the muscles and curves), maybe try showing this more? Again, it's hard to say without an example so I will just dump my thoughts on the matter in hopes that something will be useful to you.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 06-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.

I was looking for a quick response for a long-time result. And I got it, thanks to you. I'll hit ya up in a few days and let you know if I've improved even a small amount, and I think I will thanks to the suggestions you placed out.

Welcome; unfortunately the human body isn't simple so it would be a lie to say you have chosen an easy subject matter to work on. But with diligence there is no reason you cannot achieve what you want. I look forward to when you post them up for review.

The day I post my pics will be the day I own a scanner. (Broke College Kid) Hah.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    If you have a video camera on your laptop or desktop, you can "take a picture" or sorts. Just make sure you have good lighting so we can see your work better.

I'll give it a shot and see what I can do. I'm always in the need of a good critique. Also, how do you clean drawings? I've been meaning to ask about that and inking.

Clean as in on the computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Yup. That's exactly what I'm referring to

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!