Me, too. It'll give the character more personality (I'm stating the obvious)
@ Rio: Sounds like a good idea . I would like to implement this but first we need to see how many people agree to this. We don't want any more squabbling for the next competition >_>.
So yeah I've been doing some planning and taking some considerations oh how to improve this tournament so here is what I have planned out.
1) I was thinking of making this tournament sort of like a seasonal thing. Example; In one year there will be 4 qualifier rounds. And then basically at the end of the year there will be a final showdown between the 4 winners for first spot as moe champ. I already planned some dates for when the seasonal's will be held:[January, April, July, October]. Well this is just the initial planning so the dates are not official or anything. The dates would most likely be changed. So what do you think of this idea? Like it or not?
2) Now I just want to clarify this. A SaiMoe tournament isn't just some normal OC challenge. Many of you may have been miss- leaded or maybe most of you have never seen or joined one before. Unlike any normal OC challenge SaiMoe is based more on the MOE concept where by voters would vote for a character that attracts them. In a way Moe is a pure, protective feeling towards a female character, without the sexualization of lolicon. Well there are other ways of attraction like for example:
What Crow said the last time is basically how a SaiMoe tournament works. Not always the well drawn character wins if it doesn't have the trades of a actual Moe character. Like I said before and I will say it again a SaiMoe tournament is not just some ordinary OC challenge. Well I don't have any right to tell you if you voted rightly or not but I just wanted to clarify this with you all so that you may understand the voting concept of a SaiMoe tournament better. Its really up to you and like I said the last time, winners will be decided by majority vote so voting power is in your hands and not mine.If I need give you an example, Matt's Mika vs CF's Sakura...I voted Mika despite CF's well drawn character why?
-She's cuter and I'd love to snag her (honest lol)\
-Despite the lack of details, the expression on her is priceless although to some degree (as the lack of skills yet) Matt failed to show something using the gesture he gave her
-Moe-types generally are either over expressive in emotion (Tsundere types obviously) or very reclusive and stoic (Yuki Nagato)
-At first look, I wouldn't suspect her to be moe, as CF's style is not moe but that's not the point here
-The design of the character seems good for moe standard however the problem here is the AGE she's depicted in
-If one would imagine her as a loli she can win my vote, as she looks too old in her image to fit such a setup, wouldn't measure up to be moe but rather one of the joker/clown-type characters if she was to make appearance in that age
To rule things out moe is basically an idea of attraction, doesn't need to be of any specific attraction so long as you get attracted to the character, a sense of liking and not a sense of awe...as awe is something reserved to the skill of the one who depicted that character ._.
3) Now about the bio part. What I mean is something like this:
This is just an example of what I mean't for the bios part[well you can also call this character description] just that I added a bit more extras example:
[I do encourage you to add a little bit of extra bios so that people will get to know your character better]
Now I would also like to ask you guys a few questions regarding the tournament. Stop squabbling around the forums or talking behind my back and making hate threads or whatever about how bad this competition is. If you got a problem with the competition or if anything you dislike or think should be changed we may as well discuss it RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW because talking behind or making hate thread and hate post[just saying] will not help solve or help this competition get any better. Now firstly:
1) Do you prefer the bracket to be a Single elimination or a Double elimination?
Now I'll just stress out a bit on the good and bad sides or both type of brackets
Single elimination bracket
-Tournament ends faster
- Strait forward head on wins
- Land slide victories are imminent[not sure if its bad or good so I'll just add it to both]
- Chances of a round robin is nil
- Land slide victories are imminent[Less chances and choices for the contestants and voters]
Double elimination bracket
- Chances of a round robin is high
- Contestants would get a second chance even though they were eliminated once.
- Land slide victories are not imminent[More choices and chances for the voters and contestants]
- Contest could go either way
- More threads
- Tournament takes longer
- Land slide victories are not imminent[not sure if this is bad or good so I'll add it to both]
2) how many days do you think voting should run?
3) Do you prefer each character to have individual voting threads or do you prefer it this style? [ http://www.mangatutorials.com/bb/vie...php?f=6&t=2031 ]
4)So what you guys think? Should I add this or not[personally I like the idea myself <:]Btw, MiKuRu. When I was deciding my votes, I thought that it would've been great if there were character sheets of the character's faces in different emotions. I just find those would make each OC more personable than just a one-image drawing/cg of the character. Just throwing this out there but you don't have to include it if you don't want to. C:
At the moment this is all I planned out and need to ask. If you have any questions, complains, add ons please do ask. I don't want anybody to only start complaining when the competition is running. All complains and what not huha will be solved here before the next competition. Complain while the competition is running then prepare to be ignored. Now is the time to complain.
Last edited by MiKuRu; 01-27-2011 at 10:58 PM.
That's a lot of info to take in. Lesseee....
1) I like it. It'll give everyone a chance to try and win and then we have a SaiMoe of the year in the end.
2) It's a good thing to clarify this and I think you should mention it as a voting guideline when each SaiMoe contest begins (so members are reminded and newcomers are given a guide on how to vote)
3) I like that but I don't know about being so verbose. If we get tons of SaiMoe entrants, it's going to be a pain reading through all of that bio.
With that said, I think when the contest first starts, we should get a week of voting time just to read through all the information, look through all the characters and decide but as the contest progresses, we should get like 3 days to vote for each bracket.
I certainly like the double elimination because it would be a shame to have two good characters match up and one loose and in the end have a weak character show up in the finals vs a good one. This way, there is more of a balance in the match-ups.
I liked the voting style you did in the latter part of the contest. It's easy to vote all at once instead of slogging through thread after thread after thread just to put a vote in. And finally, I heartily approve of my suggestion! ;D
Btw, can winners enter again or will they be banned from entering until the next SaiMoe year?
I'm joining in next time ^_^ I was late knowing the previous tournament so... I really love moe-moe, so this is too good to pass up...
I also agree with Rio's idea. It's so much fun to see all kind of emotion a moe character have >_<
The seasonal tournament sounds a good idea though I don't really know what difference it makes. How about the last season tournament winner? Could s/he participate the next season tournament? Does every season have different theme? Or just the same?
Answer for your question:
1) If each contestant could enter every seasonal tournament, I'd say go for single elimination. If not, then go for double elimination. For thread problem, just make a "master" thread that contain all links to "sub" threads.
2) 3-4 days (or 1 week at most) should be more than enough. Just be sure to tell everyone when the voting will start before hand.
3) Individual (and make the master thread just like my answer for first question), though asking mods to organize a special category for the tournament sounds a good idea. And after the tournament is finished.
4) Very much agree. Only the emotion/head right? So it's not too much a hassle... It's a good idea, I like it.
Ahhhh, so that's it! I was wondering why you didn't join. I'd probably join as well just to try my hand at the whole Moe style. They have such great coloring styles too usually.... : )
@Rio: Yes the winner is still allowed to join for the next season BUT he/she can't re enter the same winning entry. They can re-submit old entries that did not win if they want to or make a new entry.
So ok I'm just gonna explain how the Seasonal concept works. Well its simple really, Seasonal's are held to determine which OC's will qualify for the final showdown for first spot as Moe champ. There will be 4 seasonal/qualifier rounds. Basically the seasonals will be held in one year. I estimate the date's for the seasonals to take place at around
[January, April, July, October]. I put a 2 month gap in between so it would give the contestants time to get their OC's done. October will basically be the season end for the SaiMoe competition and at december the showdown will begin.
So out of this 4 seasons,winners from each season will be competing for first place at the final showdown.
I haven't confirmed any of this yet... Still waiting for more feedbacks atm but this is just a rought idea for now.
Definitely looking forward to the next one. I'm pretty surprised that Minami made it as far as she did. o-o
Speaking of which - when's the new one coming? Isn't it going to start soon?
Yea I was thinking of opening registrations around next week but I guess I'll just start today. So yea registration is open now.
I already stated in the rules section on how to submit your entry so have a good read . Anything else you wish to ask or discuss about may it be complaints or questions now is the best time to do so.
Last edited by MiKuRu; 03-22-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Cool. I'll make announcements at the rest of the site.