Thread: [Help Needed] Fine Tuning the Manga Style

"Hi! I'm New" Member

[Help Needed] Fine Tuning the Manga Style

Hi guys, so I've been practising manga for about a year no but I've been looking to draw it for much longer. I'm currently looking to write my own amateur manga series and have decided on a shounen comedy/ action. It's inspired by works such as Assassination Classroom and Danganronpa.

The trouble is, I'm not really willing to steam ahead writing it when I haven't finished learning the manga style. My character designs always lack something but I can't quite put my finger on it.

One of the three attached images is part of a separate planned series. Anyway, have you got any advice on how to improve from here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

kool

If you've got an idea for the story, it might be worth fleshing that out first, rather than worrying too much about what the art will look like. Unless you already have a style that you definitely want to draw in, working out the tone and content of your story should help you decide what kind of art would work with it.

"Hi! I'm New" Member
    Thanks, I'm actually doing that at the moment, but it's not the art style that bothers me. It's my line art, I think. All my manga drawings lack finish. I feel like there's some finer details missing. I'll definitely write out the plot a bit more but I have a concrete idea worked out. It's going to be an over the top comedy action in which students have to kill their teachers, who are turned into monsters like bosses from a game.

I was wondering if amyone had any drawing tips.

Can't see anything obviously missing, based on what you've posted. You could try varying the width of the lines to help give your art more depth, I guess, but your first three images have that kind of 'superflat' type look to them and I don't think line weight is a big part of that approach. Case in point:

"Hi! I'm New" Member
    Thank you very much! I think I'll work with some examples and study line thickness. But it's nice to know that I'm not doing anything obviously wrong. Thanks for your help!