Thread: Question about inking and coloring manga or comics

101 Dalmations Member

Wink Question about inking and coloring manga or comics

Is it okay to watercolor a drawing and then ink it?
    I experiment it with my art teacher but i messed up the painting with a flick from my hand and the india ink got over the page lol. But i'll test it again.
    In this video, The artist Mark Crilley explains how what he does when he ink and color manga.
    Part 1:

Part 2:

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Yea I'd bet it's ok. It's whatever you feel best with actually.
    Depending on what type of ink and paint you use. Coloring first and inking later might keep the color from smudging around with the ink if you did ink first and color later.

101 Dalmations Member
    Okay I would like to know everyone's opinion about my question.

I agree with Gunz, there's really no wrong or right way. Whatever way that you discover that works for you and allows you to create art that communicates your message to your audience is correct. There may be easier or harder methods, but as long as you are comfortable with your own process that's all the matters. With that said, if I had to choose between watercolor then inking or vice versa, I'd probably color it first and then ink it to avoid having the ink run. Of course if you use good waterproof ink then it shouldn't matter.

Yea, truth be told is there are no right or wrong way, its whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally would ink than colour. That way I know where my lines start and ends.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    In short: Just do something and find out for yourself.

So, have you tried anything out yet?

I disagree, there is good and wrong, by experiense I have learn that if you are going to use watercolors, you need to ink later, and even more, by sure that the surface is clean.

But if you want to scan your painted draw, I found it as a bad idea.

101 Dalmations Member
    well i try out the watercolor and then ink and it came out good but i ruined it with india ink.