Thread: Umber t. Kid, reporting for duty!

Umber t. Kid, reporting for duty!

Alright, here for my token here for a month, gone for three months thing that i'm making a habit of. I've only got a few things to show at the moment since i'm on my school computer.

Old thing I did before I learned more about photoshop

SPOILER! :

newer thing I did about 3-4 weeks ago after learning a lot more about photoshop
    SPOILER! :

This was two weeks ago I think?
    SPOILER! :

Last week. A man named Break

SPOILER! :

Last Night
    Epic title page that is epic

Why does this redheaded girl and that blonde guy show up periodically, you ask? Good question! This explains everything.

The Gods Must be Drinking

Critique puhleaze. I know that Break has crazy eye going on. xD
    Last edited by Umber_the_kid; 03-18-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Critique you want mmm? Give critique I will *nods*

Ahhhh, the force is strong within you mmm, BUT.

There is something troubling you yes?

On the first pic...wait I've already seen that, nvm lol.

On the second pic.
    It looks good, you have a nice design. Yet there seem to be sharper parts surrounded by really smudgy blurry parts. Not to mention down below there is a super thick black outline.
    I'd say try to do the whole piece like you did her face. It's sharp and crisp and not too blurry. Although around her hair area, some softening would have been nice, because the edges are a bit too sharp against the background.

On the third pic.
    Really nice anatomy, nothing I picked up on first glance. And probably nothing I'll notice because I'm like..half blind or something. Maybe you could make this better by adding some texture to the ground: blades of grass, dirt spots, flowers, weeds, weed.
    All those little things.
    ACTUALLY, I did spot something anatomy-wise.
    Her collar bones don't seem to align with her arms, instead they seem to be dislocated and floating off into space in the form of a slight shading.
    And the hair imo, seems to be sitting on top of her head. *shrugs*

On the fourth pic.
    I see you're trying to get into shading, but the black outline is holding you back. As I learned a few years ago, the outline thing can make or break your shading technique. It's possible to do it the right way and make it look awesome, but in this case they're battling each other for attention. So instead of looking at the sick shading, I'm looking at the outline of the character.
    Maybe you should give this tutorial I made a glance, it could possibly help..but I'm not the best teacher.

Try checking this out.

On pic...I forgot what number I'm on and too lazy to scroll up this post.
    Anyway, there is a lot going on in this one. But it's spread out all over the place...I can catch sort of what's going on.
    Somebody is pretending to play real life WarHammer in the background, there's a castle on fire, a guy looking up a girls crotch, a girl holding on to the what seems to be the main character girl, two disembodied heads, and lightning?
    But that's just a composition issue, if you can calm down what's happening there and just make it to the point, then it'll work better.
    On the art itself, once again the black outlines are working against your shading, but you're putting work into the characters and that's good.

In conclusion, you are fine mmmm young padiwan, BUT.

You must practice! *inhales* I feel your power mmm

xD Thanks gunzet. I've been trying to work on my lineart and I was really debating on whether or not to keep it black or try to use a more organic colored line approach to it. I realize that it's really combating the shading and i've been trying to figure out the best way to fix that. I'll definitely keep your crit in mind the next time I do a colored piece. I don't believe in editing something severely once it's finished. Sadly, that was the last one that i'll be doing for awhile. Also, that last one is a spoof of a Army of Darkness poster with bits and pieces from the story my characters are involved in to set it apart. Link below

Dis hurr

And yes, i'll continue practicing THE CRAP out of my art D< *determined face*

Edit: Whooa, new MT forum nommed on my title page. let me off site link that.
    Last edited by Umber_the_kid; 03-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.

working on my first Saimoe entry x_x

- needs more flexibility, even with the forced hunch.
    - you should probably work on knuckles so you don't confuse yourself with hands much later on.
    - body mass is way off balance. Sketch a center line down the middle of the figure.
    - define the joint at least with an indentation or line when the arm is folded. Same for legs.
    - neatness matters in coloring.
    - I'd like to see the references you used.

That said, you mentioned this is a work in progress so I look forward to seeing the improvements.

Yes, I realize all of this but i'm not going to worry about it since the saimoe competition is more about the character represented instead of the technical skill. As for reference, I used none. Which is probably why it's so stiff.

Let me know whenever you want to focus on those technicalities.

Actually, no, you should worry about those technicalities, other wise how will you ever improve? Every image, you must push and improve even its a bit. Everything counts in every picture you draw, thats how you improve and become a better artist.

A said from what Magnitude-Ten have mention, The neck looks a bit too thick, your colours need more value and need better organization. Your Backgrounds are too blurry, try to sharpen the foreground a bit, like the wall shes leaning on.

I do like how your drawings all look very complete, as in you took the time to colour in everything. Great job there C:

Quote Originally Posted by doghateburger View Post
    Actually, no, you should worry about those technicalities, other wise how will you ever improve? Every image, you must push and improve even its a bit. Everything counts in every picture you draw, thats how you improve and become a better artist.

A said from what Magnitude-Ten have mention, The neck looks a bit too thick, your colours need more value and need better organization. Your Backgrounds are too blurry, try to sharpen the foreground a bit, like the wall shes leaning on.

I do like how your drawings all look very complete, as in you took the time to colour in everything. Great job there C:
    Thanks, doghateburger. I understand that every drawing counts towards me improving but this was not a serious piece. I simply wanted to try my hand at making a cute character for a contest where cuteness matters. Yes, I know that the neck is too thick, it has always been a point of contention for me. The way I learn how to fix a problem is by doing sketches. A complete piece of work is always going to have problems so I just let it go and keep the issues that I found while doing the work in mind when I start the next or when I am practicing. Personally, I am improving with every piece if not in the anatomy. I kept in mind what Gunzet said and tried to keep the linework from combating the coloring and so on.

As for everything else you have stated, I will keep it in mind when I finish this piece as it is a work in progress. I appreciate your comments.