Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacescapes: a practical hobby or for pros only?

Fenn

Spacescapes: a practical hobby or for pros only?

So I love spacescapes. For those who don't know what those are:

So, I'd love to learn how to do these, but I have no idea what kind of work this takes. I know you need photoshop or a program of that kind, and that works can take several hours to complete, and I'm fine with that. My question is more: is this realistic as a hobby? Will I be able to at least make something nice after a few tries or can I expect to work for years before creating anything worthwhile?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I think this depends highly on your composition skills. That's all I have to say, I've never tried this before. Sorry man.

I have never done this myself, but if you get used to photoshop, I think it's not that hard to make. Understanding the basic of photoshop is pretty important though. I think a lot of darkening and linear dodge etc is used to make something like this. Along with some good stock images ^^ But that's my guess, hahah, anyway, I think this is really something you can do as a hobby
    I hope this helped a bit

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Greg Martin has some awesome tutorials. Unfortunately, I only found two of his tutorials. There were a few others called Winter Mist and Riven. Anyways, here's two of his tutorials which I think you should try:

Making a Planet
    Make a Realistic Starfield

It's pretty easy. Give it a whirl. Also, I suggest you save this tutorial because it may disappear one day.... like his two others. : ( Some of Greg's work are mirrored here. Some images:

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Greg Martin has some awesome tutorials. Unfortunately, I only found two of his tutorials. There were a few others called Winter Mist and Riven. Anyways, here's two of his tutorials which I think you should try:

Making a Planet
    Make a Realistic Starfield

It's pretty easy. Give it a whirl. Also, I suggest you save this tutorial because it may disappear one day.... like his two others. : ( Some of Greg's work are mirrored here.
    Greg Martin is my primary inspiration (and the artist of the first image I posted)! I've cycled through his art on my laptop wallpaper for almost a year now. It's all I use.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Yeah, actually, spacescapes are pretty easy and mostly formulaic once you master the basic techniques. Rio's tutorial suggestions are actually the ones I used when I went on a spacescape kick some time ago. Just remember to keep things extremely atmospheric with your colors and layering.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    Yeah, actually, spacescapes are pretty easy and mostly formulaic once you master the basic techniques. Rio's tutorial suggestions are actually the ones I used when I went on a spacescape kick some time ago. Just remember to keep things extremely atmospheric with your colors and layering.
    Okay, good tips.

I was considering getting PAINT.net since its free (and legal). I think it has many functions similar to photoshop so I might try that this summer once my creative writing storm calms.

Also Rio awesome tuts.
    Last edited by Fenn; 03-09-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    The closest thing to a free PhotoShop is GIMP. Download it if you haven't. PAINT.net is good though, much better UI.
    Good luck on your space journey lol.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Show us some of your finished spacescapes Fenn! I'd like to see what you've come up with. C:

I remember saving the other two Greg Martin tutorials that aren't on the net anymore but I have to find where I saved them.... This could take awhile. But they're totally worth getting a look at.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    The closest thing to a free PhotoShop is GIMP. Download it if you haven't. PAINT.net is good though, much better UI.
    Good luck on your space journey lol.
    Thanks. I love deep space which is why spacescapes fascinate me. The power and the sheer scale of planets and stars is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Show us some of your finished spacescapes Fenn! I'd like to see what you've come up with. C:

I remember saving the other two Greg Martin tutorials that aren't on the net anymore but I have to find where I saved them.... This could take awhile. But they're totally worth getting a look at.
    Okay but don't hold your breath lol. First I'll need to learn the basics of PAINT, then find time to work on practicing the basics like planets and such.