Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MiKus ArT| What actually happened to me......

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    That last image is adorable. It looks like you use the pen tool on some lines and draw other lines in yourself. If you can, I think it would look much better if you learned how to use the pen tool for your line art. The result will be 100x better just because of the consistent look (either that or if you don't mind zooming and fixing the lines manually....).

Thanks for the advice Rio x). Guess its about time I try something new xD. Btw usually I would use the pencil tool and draw a image strait without sketching and stuff so I don't usually do a second line art sorta thing[mainly cuz I'm too lazy OTL] But yeah I guess using pen tool and add a line art would make the picture much better .

[PS: I fixed the Nyu and Seirra image x3. Enjoy]

[GB UPDATES]

Hard BG clouds are hard Dx. Tried to use a new style and I think I just made a piece of disaster OTL... And also Nyu was just random I swear >_>. Its already so hard to do it on PS what more on the GB with my skill level@@. I really gotta work on my clouds cuz I rarely do clouds these days OTL.

[PS: I don't know why but it looks better when I minimize the pic lol....]
    Last edited by MiKuRu; 03-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.

I actually found a great tutorial on doing realistic clouds while I was browsing through DA one day. I'm not sure where it is now, but I've used it and I was really pleased with how the clouds turned out. I think I can sum up the process in a paragraph, but it's a lot better if you can see. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Edit: I actually found it right away, lol. XD Here's the link if you would like to try out the technique.
    Last edited by nisaren; 03-08-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added Link

Just want to add to nisaren's post. While that tutorial is nice, it deals with with high altitude clouds like cirrus, cirrocumulus, and cirrostratus clouds. On top of that, it's dealing with three point perspective which, unfortunately, not what the character is in.

My advise is to learn techniques to learn several different types of clouds to help you out with cloud painting techniques. Not surprisingly, I have an entire set of tutorials devoted to clouds alone. It's not as 'pretty' as that tutorial but its main focus is to look at patterns and different techniques:

The tutorial can be found at http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/...ng-clouds.html

Let me know if it helps you out.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I agree with Sonny.

But anyway, I also think that even though this is a nice start (awgh, I was suh-ohh awful at skies when I first started, and I'm still fairly crummy at it), you should watch out for what colors you're using. Right now, your blues are butting up against the indigo-purple end of the spectrum when skies like the one in the tutorial Nisaren suggested are brighter and more aqua-colored. I do like your use of color within the clouds, though. Avoiding colors like grey really add good dimension and atmosphere to the piece.

[GB Updatesss]

How about now?

Well I tried to follow what you guys told me to try[I swear I did] and I think it did improve x).. Well just a bit I think Dx [my fault for sucking so hard at clouds OTL].... I actually tried to combine some of the tutorials you guys linked to me into one but I think the end results are.... well.... P bad?[My fault for being a smart ass OTL.. I should know better but to try to stick to one style at a time >_>.. Jumbled up style is jumbled >_>] lol... Anyway this time I added 3 base colors for the sky[light blue, dark blur and a bit of light green]. Anyway the tutorials were really helpful nevertheless. Thanks guys xD! I would hug all of you if my arms were long enough LOL... Anyway I will be doing more BG practice[specially clouds].. I'll be going for a more night-ish clouds next Dx... I'm gonna practice and get better at doing clouds if its the last thing I do.

[PS: Screw the guy at the bottom lol.. Random crap is random OTL]
    Last edited by MiKuRu; 03-09-2011 at 01:58 PM.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the tutorial not being effective because of perspective. The main points I took away from it were basically:

1. Start with low opacity brushes and work by gradually building up.
    2. Make sure you desaturate the color of the areas where clouds will be before you start building up the cloud, since the presence of humidity has that effect on the color of the sky (regardless of the color pallete you are using).
    3. Take your time and don't rush into just plopping fluffy white clouds down. Unless you want cartoonish fluffy white clouds.

The problem I have with this is that this is to produce more photorealistic clouds and therefore it takes a long time and a lot of passes to actually achieve a really nice effect. If your goal isn't to create photorealistic clouds or creating them makes the rest of your piece look odd, then maybe some other tutorials would work better. Honestly though, I think working something to that level is good practice and then you can choose how high a finish you want depending on the piece.

As an aside, I wanted to say that I do like your drawing style. My only issue with it is that it feels like your linework is too thick. I'd love to see you draw a piece and really pare down the lines so that the colors can take more of a central place.
    Last edited by nisaren; 03-09-2011 at 01:50 PM.

@ Nisaren: The tutorial you gave me was effective and good nevertheless. But maybe what Sonny meant was that it was not the right tutorial for that certain pic[Well this is what I think >_>... I could be wrong]

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I didn't look at the tutorial, I'll just go off the pic.
    I like how you spotted the lightsource against the largest cloud. You can tell where the sun is without having it visible that way. And the lens flare adds a nice touch.
    But I'd say that the clouds seem a bit random. I think it feels like a storm is coming in, but it's really isolated, and surrounded by a ton of blue sky. Most of that area would be taken up by gray/dark clouds wouldn't it? Like a giant wall or something.

BESIDES THAT STUFF
    Loving how you arranged some of the clouds in a spiral, makes it a bit dynamic and happens to work with the view. But you should work on the shapes, and adding some more depth to the darker ones. They seem really flat.

This coming from a guy who never draws clouds or anything so....take what you will out of that xD Good wurk mate.