Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

I just remembered a really good, but odd book.
    "The Childrens Story" by James Clavell. It's quite short, but uses typography to enhance the story. I can't say anything about the story because I'm afraid I would spoil it, but it's worth to read if you come across it. It's not something you read for entertainment though. (but it should just take 20 minutes to read)

Quote Originally Posted by 261
    Canada is a pretty popular place here, so there may be a possibility they carry it. Hard to say for certain. I'll give it a look just to be sure. Even if it isn't there, I might find something else of interest. ^_^
    Oh cool. Well if you can't find the book, but are still interested in the subject, see if you can find Collapse by Jared Diamond, because it deals with a similar topic. Collapse is a lot longer though and probably more expensive.

I'm reading "Reinventing Comics" By Scott McCloud. It's a really intersting book, possibly a bit outdated, but most of his points still stand today.

Especially the "loosing readership/stagnation" is very much alive today in both american and japanese comics or rather, japan is doing everything Scott says comic/manga companies/publishers should avoid at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by 3

Oh cool. Well if you can't find the book, but are still interested in the subject, see if you can find Collapse by Jared Diamond, because it deals with a similar topic. Collapse is a lot longer though and probably more expensive.
    Okay, I'll keep that in mind when I go. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by 14
    I'm reading "Reinventing Comics" By Scott McCloud. It's a really intersting book, possibly a bit outdated, but most of his points still stand today.

Especially the "loosing readership/stagnation" is very much alive today in both american and japanese comics or rather, japan is doing everything Scott says comic/manga companies/publishers should avoid at all costs
    I've heard quite a bit about that book from various forums that I've visited and everyone said it was good, but I've never read it. D:

When you're done reading it, mind giving a review? I'd like to know a bit more about it, for example what topics it covers, how well the explanations for each topics are done, etc. Also it would be nice to know whether you recommend it to the members on the forum who haven't read it already. (Reasons why you recommend it would also be helpful.)

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    I'm reading two books:

Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King
    And
    The Sentimentalists - Johanna Skibsrud

Both are good so far, although I'm not very far into them

When you finish, please give a review. ^_^

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    The Dark Tower series has an incredible comic, too! ;D

I have my head stuck in This is Not a Pipe by Foucault, On Liberty (I'M READING IT AGAIN, NOOOOOO) by John Stewart Mill, The Hunger Games by uhIdon'tknow, and to be technical, I still haven't finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. D:

Oh, and I finished Kant's Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals last week. Whewww, finally.

Although, I have a decent idea of what The Hunger Games is about, I don't know anything about This is Not a Pipe and Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals. Mind giving a little more information about them?

My guess is the title of This is Not a Pipe is from the painting by RenÚ Magritte called The Treachery of Images. Or something like that I think. So it probably has something to do with the philosophy of representative realism.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3
    My guess is the title of This is Not a Pipe is from the painting by RenÚ Magritte called The Treachery of Images. Or something like that I think. So it probably has something to do with the philosophy of representative realism.
    Yep. It's a nice, short essay in book form.

Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals is a philosophical work on ethics. It was pretty decent in content, but I hate Kant's style of organizing ideas. D:

And as for the Hunger Games, it's got a ton of hype surrounding it, but I'm not too impressed. I'm not too sure on what it's about, though, so maybe I'll get into it later...?