Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 143

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #11
    For Sparta! zizi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by 247
    The Dark Tower Series.

    Garth Nix or...?

    I'm rereading the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I don't really know why, just like the books. They're comforting.

  2. #12
    Super Senior Member Mr_Liebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,014
    Stephen King's, I like it.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    32
    I've been enjoying Martin's Song of Ice and Fire recently, and I'm in the process of acquiring the Thrawn series by a mister Timothy Zahn. It may be a Star Wars novel but I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of Zahn's work.

  4. #14
    101 Dalmations Member Ceta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by 3
    Right now I'm reading a book called A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright. I can't really say much about it though, because I've only just started reading it. I think it's similar to Collapse by Jared Diamond, if anyone's read that.
    I just looked at the Wiki for that. Sounds a little bit beyond my level of understanding..... D:

    Is it easy for anyone to read? Or is it one of those books that would only interest those who hold knowledge on the subject?

    Quote Originally Posted by 247
    The Dark Tower Series.
    Mind elaborating on the series a bit more for those who haven't read it (like myself). Would be nice to know why you're reading it and if it's something you'd recommend to others.

    Quote Originally Posted by 157
    Yeah. That book seems to be pretty popular right now in Japan. I swear I see posters of it everywhere I go if I go into a bookstore.
    Considering it sold over 1 million copies already, yeah, it's understandable that they're pushing the advertising like crazy. I wasn't really too sure about reading it but a coworker and some people I know recommended it to me, so I finally decided to check it out. Although I'm not interested in managing, it's a pretty entertaining and the way it's written makes the excerpts very easy to understand.

    I'm reading the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy series for, like, the billionth time.
    I don't even think I need to introduce it. If you haven't heard about it, you're seriously missing out.
    It's a shame to admit this, but I only got half-way through the series. Unfortunately, the book got lost somewhere in the move out of my parents' house so I guess I'll have to buy a new copy if I can't find it the next time I go back.

    Quote Originally Posted by 367
    I've been enjoying Martin's Song of Ice and Fire recently, and I'm in the process of acquiring the Thrawn series by a mister Timothy Zahn. It may be a Star Wars novel but I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of Zahn's work.
    What genre are those books? (For both authors.)

  5. #15
    101 Dalmations Member angel_dreamer13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    115
    What Happpened to Lani Garver. it is completely and honestly the best book I've ever read.

  6. #16
    ハリセン クラプ Ace Pitcher Hayashida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PEPSI
    Posts
    9,146
    Quote Originally Posted by 261

    I just looked at the Wiki for that. Sounds a little bit beyond my level of understanding..... D:
    Is it easy for anyone to read? Or is it one of those books that would only interest those who hold knowledge on the subject?
    It's a fairly easy read actually. There's less than 200 pages as well I think, so it's no problem to go back and read it a second time. I think if you had any interest in the subject, it would make the book a better read, but at the same time, if you don't have any knowledge of it, it would still be interesting.

  7. #17
    101 Dalmations Member Ceta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by 17
    What Happpened to Lani Garver. it is completely and honestly the best book I've ever read.
    Mind giving a brief summary to let us know why you liked it so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3
    It's a fairly easy read actually. There's less than 200 pages as well I think, so it's no problem to go back and read it a second time. I think if you had any interest in the subject, it would make the book a better read, but at the same time, if you don't have any knowledge of it, it would still be interesting.
    The next time chance I get, I'll see if I can find a copy of it at Maruzen. They have a decent selection of original English-language books from what I've seen but whether they have that book or not, I have no idea. (I rarely go there since it's not very close to where I live.)

  8. #18
    Lucky Member Blue_Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Champagne Supernovar
    Posts
    955
    If you like to read, something neat my friend does every year is compile a list of 25 books she intends to definitely read that year. She then takes 20 suggestions from people, and leaves the five spaces open for books she stumbles across during the year.

    Something neat you might give a go, if that interests you.

  9. #19
    ハリセン クラプ Ace Pitcher Hayashida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PEPSI
    Posts
    9,146
    Quote Originally Posted by 261
    The next time chance I get, I'll see if I can find a copy of it at Maruzen. They have a decent selection of original English-language books from what I've seen but whether they have that book or not, I have no idea. (I rarely go there since it's not very close to where I live.)

    The book was written by a Canadian author, so your chances of finding it in a book store in Japan is pretty unlikely, since they would probably only sell books by prominent American or British authors.

  10. #20
    101 Dalmations Member Ceta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by 180
    If you like to read, something neat my friend does every year is compile a list of 25 books she intends to definitely read that year. She then takes 20 suggestions from people, and leaves the five spaces open for books she stumbles across during the year.

    Something neat you might give a go, if that interests you.
    I would definitely give this a try if I had enough time to read. I'm mostly limited to reading while on the train since I have pretty much zero free time at work and am pretty busy at home. If things do manage to change, however, I'll definitely give it a go.



    Quote Originally Posted by 3

    The book was written by a Canadian author, so your chances of finding it in a book store in Japan is pretty unlikely, since they would probably only sell books by prominent American or British authors.
    Canada is a pretty popular place here, so there may be a possibility they carry it. Hard to say for certain. I'll give it a look just to be sure. Even if it isn't there, I might find something else of interest. ^_^

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •