Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perspective - Real life

Angry Perspective - Real life

So, I'm having major problems drawing perspective from real life. On paper, without ref, drawing 1 point, 2 point and 3 point (to a certain degree) isn't any problem.

I just can't get the perspective, lines and details to fit. Any ideas on what I should/could/have to do?

Identify the vanishing points and figure out whether you want to set things in one-point, two-point, three-point or (hard as heck) four-point. Sometimes it's figuring out the first line that's important. Encase the item you're looking at in a box, draw the nearest vertical line to you.

Draw the next two surfaces that vertical line touches in proportion to your vanishing points, and then draw the two surfaces in the back also in proportion. You now have a box that should give you a good idea of what your item looks like in perspective.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Got any drawings to show use Son44? I'd like to see where you're having problems specifically.

From "real life"? you mean drawing a vista or something around you? But you dont have any problem while drawing on paper. I don't get this. Maybe you should show us any drawing just like Rio said above.

Perhaps he means when drawing what he sees in front of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Identify the vanishing points and figure out whether you want to set things in one-point, two-point, three-point or (hard as heck) four-point.
    Or five or six-point. YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

They do actually exist, although 6-point is just 5 point done from two opposite angles. You'd need to see in 4 dimensions to have truly 6-dimensional perspective. See here.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Drawing from real life is like copy drawing, imo. You basically have to find the relation from one object to another in real life and compare that in your paper drawing. Like, you have to check the distance, height, and so on from one object to another. Your best bet is to draw something from a window or door because then the window or door frame will naturally act as your border. Once you get that done, you can start drawing more open spaces.

Another method is to first determine your horizontal line from your eye-level. From there you can start drawing everything else. You can even try finding the perspective as you normally would when not drawing from real life.

@ Delph
    Cool stuff. So that's how they do that really convex look.

I never draw more than 3 point, awesome stuff bro. Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions!

rio: I guess my issue is the generall proportions of the picture and placement of the horizontal line.

I don't have much to show for, because i always tear my drawings apart when I fail at it DX

Don't do that 0_0

Keep all your drawing since it could be a good learning material in the future (or a good source of laugh when you realize how bad your drawing several years ago).