View Poll Results: Should I start working on inking or coloring?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • INKING

4 16.67%
  • COLORING

2 8.33%
  • BOTH

15 62.50%
  • NEITHER. THEY BOTH SUCK D:

3 12.50%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cap'n Slurp's Art Thread: Yes, I am Alive, unlike this thread.

...professional animators... >_>

the pen tool works nice and clean BUT in my experience is makes things look kinda flat and lifeless but im sure if you spent enough time using it, it could look nice.

Today I learnt the difference between vector and bitmap images in design class. Which gets me thinking: should I do lineart in vector, or coloring in vector. Do you guys know any vector based programs?

Illustrator is a huge vector based program, but I wouldn't recommend it for the art you're working on. I mean, vector is cool and all, and I know that Cpt. Sparky does it, but I think that you might prefer sticking with whatever you're using now. Don't let me change what you want to do. Try it for yourself and see how it works for you. You never know if it will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

Who is Capt. Sparky?

You know him as sparkyj I think

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    This is Sparky's thread. C: He uses Illustrator, which, like the others said, is a vector-based drawing/design program. Vector lines can be blown up to any size that you want with 0% quality loss. That's right. Many artists do choose to use Flash for their lineart because it gives that crisp, high-quality line (one that's so sharp that it's almost jagged-looking in small dimensions, like you see in Sparky's thread). However, vector coloring is a pain in the butt, so most artists take their vector lineart, export it into a raster (which is synonymous with bitmap, essentially) format, then color it in a raster program, such as Photoshop, Painter, Mangastudio, etc. Vector coloring is just extremely stiff and not very organic unless you are an absolute pro. Even then, it's just a better use of tools to do raster coloring, anyway. I mean, even vector lines aren't essential, unless you're trying to make prints the size of huge poster/bilboards. I've made prints that are three feet long and the coloring was still crisp. Granted, I don't use lineart, so it's easier to get away with. It's your choice, though. (:

But anyway! With your last picture I agree with Ged that I'm not the most savvy on SD anatomy, but I really like your interpretation of it a lot. It kinda makes me want to try it. I like her expression and the colors that you're using so far.
    Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 01-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Exclamation A lil' break from just drawing..

I saw his thread. That guy is all kinds of awesome.
    Also, I thought I would post my script thing for the MangaMakingMonth on Mangatutorials. If ya dont know what it is, you should totally join here.

Here's the script I'm working on so far. Tell me what I can do so far SixthSense Script

Also, i came up with some character concept sketches. Which do ya think is best for the main characters hair color?
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by Slurpee; 01-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.

I really like the one on the right because there is more color depth to it. The other ones seem a little flat. Still good, though.

Started a thread to rip off nerd's videogames money by drawing their characters. <3
    Latale Fanart Thread.