Thread: Cintiq - Is it worth it?

Cintiq - Is it worth it?

I've wanted a Wacom Cintiq for a while now, but my question is, is it worth it?

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/

Also I'm starting a Web/Film/Graphic Design studio soon and I don't know if it would be a good investment.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Cintique is super expensive for what it offers. You can achieve the same results simply using a smaller tablet. Preferably made by Wacom.

But drawing on a LCD screen has it's advantages.

Worth it or not? It's more to the person himself, right?

If you are a professional artist who get his money to buy food and pay his electric/water bill only from drawing, then YES, it's worth it. And if you feel your productivity will increase several folds with tablet like Cintiq (perhaps because you couldn't draw without seeing your hand), then it's DEFINITELY worth it.

But if you're just a hobbyist who loves to draw in free time, making several pages of manga or illustration, then NO, it's not worth it since Cintiq is just too damn expensive. Just get a Bamboo or something. If you are a part-time illustrator or mangaka, earning bits of money from doing commission, but still have different real job in your day-life, then it's still not worth it. Better buy Intuos in this case.

In case you are just someone who have so much money to burn so you're wondering you should buy Cintiq or not... well, it's a different story, isn't it? Just buy it for bragging sake ^_^ Take a snap of your working space, post it on internet, and say "Hey, I have a Cintiq!" I will be jealous seeing that...

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Well, JPG said he'll be starting a studio soon so technically, he can write the Cintiq as a business expense in his taxes. Cost of doing business, you know?

Of the two Cintiq's, you have to lay out the pro's and cons:

The bigger one is of course, bigger and more unwieldy and less transport friendly. Costs a lot more. Great for those who prefer drawing right on their "medium" so to speak instead of trying to do the hand-eye-coordination thing with the monitor.

The smaller Cintiq is a less of a hit on the wallet, more transport friendly, but it's a smaller screen than the bigger version. Either way, do you already have a tablet? If you do, why invest in a Cintiq? If you're more familiar with an Intous (if you have that, that is) why change?

Going into business on our own is tough. You have to do everything yourself if you're a one-man studio - marketing, billing, making the product yourself, keeping up any websites, and so on. Depending on how much you have to start off the business, is it really wise to sink money into something so expensive right off that bat? If you're thinking of buying something, you're better off putting it in a purchasing hold - wait three months and if you find you still need it, buy it. If you don't need it, take it off the list.

And don't forget, the bigger the tablet is, you have to make wider arm movement to make a single line (and this could be a problem for some people... like me for example). And just like Rio said, when it's all become business, watch your expenditure. Do you really need that Cintiq? If not, don't buy it... or at least wait until you're making some steady income from your studio. But I know lots of professional artist/illustrator that don't have Cintiq. They even still using those old Wacom graphire 2.