Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

practice ur anatomy - for instance, in ur shoulders, u r drawing the peak of the deltoid far too high. the outermost portion of the deltoid is near the bottom where the arm splits into the bicep, tricep, and brachialis. practice drawing skeletons and drawing muscles on top of them. trust me u will get mega good real fast m8.

Kay Sy, I'm gonna study all the resources I have and I'm gonna get mega-good. Let's do this.

Anatomy (NSFW because penis):
    SPOILER! :

Kasey's face:

Since you're well on your way with anatomy, I'd say also check on the way you draw the (jawline, neck, and skull) in 3/4 view, and other perspectives that you'd have difficulties with. For drawing full body, make sure you check perspectives.

Kasey's face is nice, it's just a bit too much of the flat dark, so it doesn't feel balanced, and it's losing its dramaticness.

Setting up the grid for placing bodies in perspective is pretty tough. Hopefully I'll get it down better once I've gone through Loomis again. Also, thanks.

Some GB stuff.

So after studying realism for a while, turns out anime's not too hard. References used on the arm in the first picture, and the girl in the second. In retrospect, no reference was used on Kasey.

The arm is a really nice study, though you may want to have correct proportions in the areas around it, ie the body is too small compared to the elongated arm. If you draw other things to put the arm into context, it helps to have them sized right even if you draw them with few lines.

And you may want to go back and reference 3/4 views with the face, checking what I said before. check the height of the chin compared to the shoulder, for the guy at the bottom.

I reviewed 3/4 view stuff. It's seriously not as hard as I seem to make it.

So, pictures:

GB derping:

Character anatomy; NSFW for full frontal nudity:
    SPOILER! :

Thing I should probably have spent more time on:

Character/hair thing:

Kinda horribly referenced picture of my favorite model:

Random sketchbook stuff. A friend bought me manga pens for my birthday, so I played with those a little. Probably something bigger tomorrow:

From the pimp thread, kinda an awkward style, but expressive, I guess?

Great to see you studying anatomy, one thing that I would suggest if you haven't done so already, rather then just learning from photo's of models, and gesture drawings. I would recommend taking the time and try to break down muscle groups into simply 3D shapes. This way you would be able to create poses in different angles rather then relying heavily on reference all the time.

I'm not sure if loomis cover it but I know bridgman does a wonderful job at it.

Keep it up mate!

Thanks, Iccy. (And thanks again for the Kasey drawing; I spent at least 10 minute staring at that.) I'm working on muscle groups right now (didn't check in Loomis's book, but Winslow's has it), and boobs, but mostly muscle groups. Meanwhile, here's a 30-minute thing of a dude's face.

Critiques before I color it?
    Last edited by Matt; 02-24-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Only thing that bothers me is his nose. Its a bit too geometrical.

Cool stuff Matt, only wanting to say a couple of things about the anatomy. As Iccy was saying try to break it all down into simple shapes and recognize the patterns in the way the muscles and body components align with one another. If you don't, I also find that using wrapping lines to lay a "mesh" over the body really helps to understand the forms, perspectives and planes of the body (especially useful when rendering). On a side note I would urge you to avoid shoving anatomy and characters together just because it can detract from the important observations you are making as you draw - but that is just a personal observation I found, maybe it doesn't affect you.

For the portrait, I should add the the nose bridge is also very linear and box like. If you look at the reference image Iccy provided above you can see the way there is a curvature before the nasal bone fuses with the brow ridge (which then protrudes at the ridge and arcs around the eye socket). The way it is currently constructed suggests that it is just a box with no secondary planes. I think you could have accentuated the indent of the eyes a bit and if you look at a skull below you can see the receding plane change where the eyes visor lies and the way the zygomatic wraps around the form.

Hope this helps c:

Skull and Head Planes:
    SPOILER! :