Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

I referenced the first one from some cosplay convention photo and made it a bit more practical in the second. The third is random brain drool.

That's pretty sweet. I was gonna say that I like the second one the best <3 It is practical like you said but at the same time it's still sexy.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Ooh, this is probably some of your better work. I'd say to watch out for the legs; the femurs bow inward too much. The arms seem a smidge too long on the middle and left figures, but that's just being picky. The proportions are great on the right on though; jeeze.

The design is really good. I like the different textures. I would just watch out for that skirt. There's barely enough room for her crotch in that skirt, so what's her behind doing? :O

Also, the hair, <3

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

TL;DR - Use the entire character for emotions, not just the face.
    I thought you mean Too Long, Didn't Read. . or is it To-Love-ru darkness?

Too long, didn't read. TLR is pretty good with fully expressive characters, though.

@Seefy - Ah, yeah. She's got the "early Naomi" syndrome with impractically sexy clothing that just doesn't work with female anatomy. Or is that just the standard ecchi syndrome?

@Kasey - That's what I was going for. Good to hear I got it.

EDIT: Didn't wanna double-post. Here, some drawings:

Last edited by Matt; 10-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.

H-hi Matt...remember me?

Been a while, huh?

Better get back into this critique thing, my Artist's Eye has dulled over the months.

So anyway, idiocy aside, these are some sweet stuff! Like, seriously, esp. the very bottom and Atemi and Sierra.
    Now with those two, I was kind of stumped because I felt something felt slightly off about them and then it clicked.

For Atemi, I think what you find is that the leg width below the skirt incredibly thin in comparison to the rest of the body. Other than that, I don't think I see anything else.

For Sierra, I think the shoulders seem too high. That, or the neck is too short. It kinda looks to me like she's mid-sigh (if you catch my meaning) and I don't think that was your intention. Also, her outstretched arm seems quite straight; there's no real muscle definition.

These are really something, though. A major improvement to when I last saw your stuff.

Of course I remember you. We were writing buddies way back when.

Anyway, thanks for critiquing the girls. I looked through my old drawings a month or two ago and realized that I made necks WAY too long (and I think I've had it mentioned in critique multiple times), so I was trying to make them shorter and I suppose I ended up over-compensating. I'll watch out for it.

Also, what does mid-sigh mean? Urban Dictionary didn't turn it up.

Again, thanks for critiquing them. Atemi and Sierra are pretty much my flagship characters (well--Sierra is, at least), so I want them to be as perfect as possible.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Hmmm. Atemi's breasts seem like they're too low on her body for how perky they are ... Their was no way for me to make this less awkward, was there? Also the flying girl's arm seems out of place. It looks longer then it should, and I'm not sure an arm bends like that.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Of course I remember you. We were writing buddies way back when.

Anyway, thanks for critiquing the girls. I looked through my old drawings a month or two ago and realized that I made necks WAY too long (and I think I've had it mentioned in critique multiple times), so I was trying to make them shorter and I suppose I ended up over-compensating. I'll watch out for it.

Also, what does mid-sigh mean? Urban Dictionary didn't turn it up.

Again, thanks for critiquing them. Atemi and Sierra are pretty much my flagship characters (well--Sierra is, at least), so I want them to be as perfect as possible.
    Sure thing, man.

I meant in the middle of a sigh. I'll watch my wording in future XD

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I actually like these character sketches more and more every time I come back to look at them. You're heading in some good directions here, and I like a lot of those poses. They seem a little stiff, but it's just minor fixes. I'll come back with a redline, because I'm staying 45 minutes away from my dorm for the weekend.

For the realism, I'd just try to concentrate on drawing what you see instead of what you imagine. That's why your self-portrait is highly stylized with your "standard" features. It doesn't look bad; it just doesn't look quite like you because of that. I like the guy leaning over, though. He's got some nice arms. ;D