Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

The eyes seem a little low down to me, to be honest; That's probably what is throwing the head's perspective a bit out of whack. I'd redline but I don't have a mouse hooked up right now, sorry.

Blending is looking pretty good, through, feel I should mention, since you've only recently started doing it. >_>
    Last edited by Regantor; 04-28-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    SPOILER! :
    Unless she has breast implants her nips could do with readjustment, since anatomically they should sit pointing almost parallel. It appears that her arms have popped out of the shoulder join - there would be a degree of lifting in the pectoral girdle as the arms are raised but I don't think they would raise so far up her body and a point of attachment between the pectorals, humerus, and rotator cuff should definitely be visible. Keep in mind that the breasts are attached to the pectoral muscles which are currently being pulled up by the uplifted arms. The lifted arms would also reduce the breast volume as the fat tissue are spread across the chest; currently they sag a bit too much.

SPOILER! :

I tried to demonstrate the attachment of the pectorals (which are hidden unfortunately in the image), the way the breasts sit over the top of them and how the raising of the arms would subsequently pull the muscle and the breasts up with them. Sorry for the poor quality, revision left me with only time for a quick sketch. I really like the colouring btw, particularly the face details.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 04-28-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks, guys. And especially you, Demon, for taking the time to draw that thingy. I don't think boob implants were a thing back in 1880-ish, so there was definitely something wrong.

Did a new header for my blog. I should've referenced arms and a shirt in retrospect, but I'll put it here for other stuff. Also, this is my second/third attempt at a completely lineless drawing process. On the upside, it's faster, and on the downside, it takes longer to start looking decent. So line sketches I abandon halfway through still look all right, but lineless sketches look like a bunch of random blobs.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, there's a tangent along her cheek/jaw and forearm as well.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-05-2014 at 09:21 PM.

It's come to my attention that my line art sucks. What can I do about that?

Also, a sketch of the cast from my comic thing that I tend to not really talk about for whatever reason. I need work on making more confident lines, and I also really need to work on everything from the knees down. I've never been a foot person, but that's no excuse to be bad at them, especially when the two main characters never wear shoes.

Am I getting worse, or is it just me? I get the feeling I need to spend more time on things.

Hmm, I'm curious, when you are drawing, are you conscious of what you are actually drawing? Or do you just do it blindly? Same goes for practice, do you just try to copy the ref? or do you try and look for patterns/ shapes, etc?

As long as I'm referencing, I usually try to see the underlying shapes. When I'm not referencing, I usually sketch out some guidelines, but in the case of the above picture (and several more recent pictures), I pretty much dropped that and just tried to get it done. Probably not a good thing.

Yeah it's very visible on that last piece that you did'nt break out your characters in shapes. I guess you opted for making a whole buncha characters so you could'nt focus on each one. I guess it's like a dream for many artists to just go and draw everything at once like a printer but it's not that easy. Also, I must say your characters don't look all very steady.

Overall, the reason you feel like you're getting worse is that you're going for more quantity than quality, which I tend to do as well. And it's a very bad habit.

Anyway I love your dedication to what you make in general, you can make pretty cool stuff, you just need to fix a buncha thangs, and take your time more. Drawing only for the purpose of training could help. You've drawn a lot, so that's not a problem.