Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

I like the actual simplicity of the design and the pen, with a sword shadow is a really nice idea. Only some suggestions, play around with the font size, not everything needs to be super big, you want the key words to appear larger, like the word "Fantasy".

I would say give some colour to the background for certain, maybe you can use the same concept, but illustrate the hell out of it. make it like a still life of a pen but the shadow of a sword. Just my suggestion C:

- - - Updated - - -

I like the actual simplicity of the design and the pen, with a sword shadow is a really nice idea. Only some suggestions, play around with the font size, not everything needs to be super big, you want the key words to appear larger, like the word "Fantasy".

I would say give some colour to the background for certain, maybe you can use the same concept, but illustrate the hell out of it. make it like a still life of a pen but the shadow of a sword. Just my suggestion C:

Just to expand on what's already been said, I think the type is rather overpowering at the moment. As well as adjusting the size, I'd also consider leaving some more space around it, giving it room to breathe. The cover also seems very clean - it may be worth introducing some subtle texture, given the subject matter.

Personally, I'd also change the font for something else. It's not taboo like Comic Sans or Impact, but Trajan does have a reputation for overuse (particularly in movie posters), and a lot of designers turn up their noses at it. It might be too fussy, given the amount of text you're dealing with, but I'd probably lean more towards a blackletter style face:

Thanks for the critiques, guys. I'm about 60% done with the book that cover is for, so I've got some time to refine it. I considered just using a default Amazon cover, but those aren't very eye-catching. I'll play with fonts and see if I can find one that works (defaulting to a blackletter styleface, as suggested). The still life of the pen is a good idea, and I considered making the shadow just a little more complex -- that is, having a hand hold the sword or something. Simplicity is best in covers, but I also want to get across what it's about without text (though I also know it's important for the text and art to work together).

Well, there's a lot to consider in a cover. I've got time.

Meanwhile, I did NaNoWriMo and drew my protagonist:

Critiques are appreciated.

NaNoWriMo! Ok total props for focusing on improving both your art and writing at the same time, that's not easy. I actually have to say I really like the way you draw hair; it seems to be a distinctive mark on your style and the stringy quality of it often works for the hard situations a number of your characters seem to be in. Soft, shiny looking hair can look out of place on someone looking beat up or who has been traveling for a long time. Even outside of that suitability I like it, it seems to be part of your natural style and it jumps out at me as being cool and different.

The NaNo protagonist girl is nice, her limbs and waist are angled in a dynamic way even though you can't see much of her so she doesn't seem too static. I feel like the outline of her chin should be more defined, and I wish the highlights on her cheeks and nose were carried down more into the rest of her face. I really like the graphic effect of the white piece of her clothing being un-shaded, that style can give a graphic design-like simplicity and clean, polished element to a drawing. I think really cleaning up the highlights and small details on and around the face while leaving the clothing more roughly painted would clean this piece up and make it much more finished while still keeping the stylistic elements present.

On a completely separate note, the depth of your character development for your writing is amazing, and it really shows in your artwork. Even in this piece when she isn't doing anything in particular, the personality of the character is clearly evident.

So gorgeous, Matt! Her mouth is a little off center, though. ALso, the eye on the right is a little smaller and higher than the other as well as being tilted at a different angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Separately, the head and the body seem fine, but I'd be concerned about the neck. Although you've added some shadow to the area under her chin, the rest of it isn't really defined and I have trouble relating her neck to her shoulders. If you even mark in her collar bones, that might help. Her hairline also strikes me as slightly too high, but I don't think it's excessive.

Thanks guys. I'll keep everything in mind for the next time I actually color and finish something. I'm not really sure where I want to go with hair, but getting a realistic depiction down should certainly be a priority. I actually do like the stringy style I currently employ, but I won't hesitate to fire it if I find I like the realistic look better (once I actually learn to do it properly).

It occurred to me while I was posting this in my AA thread that I wasn't sure why the perspective didn't work.

Also, after my month of 100 torso drawings, I'm still not entirely sure where everything goes, so critiques there would be appreciated. Well, technically, critiques everywhere would be appreciated.

Lastly, I forgot what I was trying to do with this girl's right hand, and also she seems to be either missing or very effectively hiding her left leg. There's certainly more wrong with the sketch, so I'l posting it here.

Or is it better not to post sketches in the CC? I dunno. I kinda equate CC to Conceptart's Sketchbooks section, where you just dump your art and get critiques and praise equally, and AA to a personal version of the Let's Exercise thread, where you just wanna dump stuff without much attachment to your sketchbook. Since I want critiques and I want to get better, I'll probably be posting most of my new art here rather than exclusively in my AA thread.

On another note, I really need to work on feet.

Also, I believe I'll be switching back to Paint Tool Sai for non-colored drawings. I tried it yesterday night after working exclusively in Photoshop for months, and realized why I preferred it in the first place: the lines are much, much better than Photoshop's. It also loads up faster and it doesn't take as many resources to draw at high resolutions in my experience.

those boobies look good !

Agreed, you're knocking out the torsos, in a way where they look more sure than the drawings of arms or legs. Simple solution, right? Practice the arms and legs, and the parts where they connect.

I believe that practicing each thing in fragments like that will make you really good at each of them, but then you have to learn how to connect them, so it's like trying to learn everything again but you just have a better puzzle pieces to work with.

Two studies:

I did plenty more Posemaniacs sketches, but none worth posting. 30-second gesture sketches aren't exactly something I want to show to people.

Characters:

So, I can do kinda semirealistic faces from a few limited perspectives. Also, the Posemaniacs poses didn't seem to seep into the full-body picture I tried. I'll work on that. But yeah. What else can I work on? I've only got two classes and a relatively non-stressful job, so it's a perfect time to work on art.