Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

Only thing that bothers me is his nose. Its a bit too geometrical/
    I believe I can fix that before finishing. Thanks for pointing it out.

On a side note I would urge you to avoid shoving anatomy and characters together just because it can detract from the important observations you are making as you draw
    This is a good idea and I should really adhere to it.

I also find that using wrapping lines to lay a "mesh" over the body really helps to understand the forms, perspectives and planes of the body (especially useful when rendering).
    I've seen you do this. The results look really cool, even while being helpful, so yeah. I'll do it too.

-

Improving the beanie guy:
    1. Original sketch

2. Finding the planes

3. Meshing it out, Demonfyre-style

4. Bringing the face back into focus; making necessary changes

5. A better sketch, ready for color

It feels really good to draw this much. Much more fulfilling than sitting around browsing Reddit and playing Counter-Strike. All right, next:

Sketchbook page; the woman on the left was drawn from imagination before studying up on anything. Everything else save for the sitting girl was done after getting additional information of some sort. The "bean" guideline helps a bunch.

Full-size image: http://i.imgur.com/t7iW9ts.png (1495x2199)

Also, 45-minute sketches before class:
    Last edited by Matt; 02-26-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Sketchbook page for the 27th:

Beanie guy colored, probably could use advice on that:

And without the color thingies:

And lastly, some girl (NSFW because vagina):
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by Matt; 02-27-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Just because we call it a "jawline", doesn't mean that there is always a distinctive line for the jaw. Try using shadows to create shapes around that area.

It's starting to look like you're at the point where drawing live models would help you a lot. If you have a general idea of the anatomy and proportions, you can see how that all plays together on a real life model.

Or fall back to posemaniacs, that works too.

There are a lotta subtle bends in the shape for hands, fingers, and feet that make them feel real when you look at them, so different rough shapes might look better or worse when you make them. Looks like ya found some feet that you like.

As far as the beanie hat guy goes, I think you are heading in the right direction. Most of the forms read pretty clear.

My only advice would be to keep things simple. Keep your colours simple. You are using too much red on the skin and too much blue on the shadows which is making it look unnatural.

Paint over

Usually I would start with only 2 shades and once all my forms start to read, I'll start adding those subtle colours in there. Also with hair, try to soften up the edges, if you use hard edges for hair, it.ll make things look flat.

Keep working on it

All right, no color picking or anything; I had yours open on my other monitor as reference, but that's it:

I saw a thing that said the bottom of the head was usually bluer, the middle red, and the top yellow. How's that work?

Also, I still think I need to work on the beard.

I try to avoid those rules, most of them are what the artist observe them self and others may not see it some might.. I would suggest try to make your own observation. Like for me, everything would depends on how the face is lit up. But good improvement on this one C;

I actually have to step in here and say that while I like the paint over Iccy did, I also liked the colours Matt had before the paint over.

Guess this is just based on preference. Yes there was issues with definition and correct shading - but I myself use a lot of reds and blues as I find it more appealing and expressive. I -personally- prefer the colours Matt had before the paint over.

Mirroring what Iccy said, make your own observations. I find that the easiest thing to do is that you use the style that comes naturally and work on improving that.

I've been observing faces for the last couple days, and that blue-red-yellow thing only seems to happen (and it's very subtle) under certain lighting conditions. I didn't learn much from looking, though. So back to studying.

Meanwhile, I did a thing on Reddit where I drew a bunch of people's fantasy characters. I did 10 today and I've got a lot left to go. The thread in question is here. (It's a lot of work; I see why game studios hire more than one artist.)

Here's the Imgur album with all the descriptions I drew from.

In retrospect, it would have made more sense to draw everything from the last few pages of the pimp thread. Maybe I'll do that too.

Five-minute sketches while away from my drawing table and tablet.

Last edited by Matt; 03-02-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Here's five more Reddit characters:

This person requested two characters:

Either Linz's art influenced me, or I just naturally landed on a point similar to her style while searching for the best way to sketch realism:

And a self-portrait:

It's cold in my house. I'm wearing gloves too.

There are a lot of pics here, it's a little overwhelming. But I have noticed some consistent little problems. In a lot of your drawing, especially the headshots, your heads connect to your necks awkwardly. I encounter this problem when I draw entire heads and faces first and then try to add on a neck and rest of the body (just something to think about). Also, a lot of your facial features are a little lopsided. For example, eyes and ears will be higher/lower or bigger/smaller than their corresponding part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!