Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

Banned
    What you also want to do with realism is shade. Since some can't define form with just contours. I would start out with portraits on large paper then work to full body and junk. Keep practicing your anime style is kewlz.

Unless I find some super-special-awesome new style that trumps moe anime in every way, I believe I'll keep practicing. So technically, there's a 1.2x10^-100% chance that I'll stop practicing (that's 1.2 with the decimal moved 100 spaces to the left).

Here's a new one. It's not my normal style, but I read through the December issue of ImagineFX just before I drew it, so I wanted to try something else out:

I suck at digital painting, but that's okay, because this was just practice. Drawn in Artrage 2. I want 3, but it costs more money.

The painting is good but it seems kinda messy in a way[maybe its just me] but its a good try for practice nevertheless . Keep it up.

When I look at it, it seems like the critique corner is a lot less active than it was on the old MT, despite a lot more people being on at a time . . . maybe it's just me.

^Random observation.

Yes, that picture is VERY messy. I don't quite have the hang of Artrage yet, as it's supposed to emulate real-life art tools, and the only real life art tools I have experience with are pens and pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    When I look at it, it seems like the critique corner is a lot less active than it was on the old MT, despite a lot more people being on at a time . . . maybe it's just me.

^Random observation.

Yes, that picture is VERY messy. I don't quite have the hang of Artrage yet, as it's supposed to emulate real-life art tools, and the only real life art tools I have experience with are pens and pencils.
    Nah, it's true. Like, I don't even know why....

But yeah, I suppose the advice I can provide is to practice. #lameadvice

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Hmm. It looks like you're shading with black. I would highly advise against that unless you're going with the value-sketch + overlay method. Applying black directly to colors makes it look murky, and you don't want that (most of the time).

I've heard stuff about not shading in black before. I should probably remember that from now on.

More crappy pencil stuff:

A meme:
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ol-d39gwut.jpg

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Something seems way off with the angle of the full-bodies feet (could be the way the Torso is turned too), but the arms are sick.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    If you want accurate skintones, or tones for anything, pull up a real-life picture of a similar subject in desirable lighting conditions. Find spots of low, mid and highlights and use those as your palette for coloring. If you want smoother shading, pick 5 tones (low-mid and high-mid, as well). So forth and so forth.

So if you wanna color a blue shirt in white light, find a picture of a person wearing a blue shirt in white light and take the palette from that using a color-picker tool.

@Bacon - That and she's also, like, 4.5 heads tall. Fail. The lower body was an afterthought, but I should really take more time on that stuff, seeing as how it's what I need to practice most. Aside from hands and coloring, that is.

@Cyp - I've heard that technique before, and I thought my downloaded swatch packs were adequate till now. But you're right. I'll try it out ASAP. Also, is there any surefire way to blend colors and not make them look like crap? (For an excellent example of crap, see my Artrage picture.)

Another meme, this one a bit text-heavy.
    http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ol-d39k73a.jpg
    EDIT: Free figurative tacos if you know what game I posted in #6.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-14-2011 at 06:14 PM.