Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

spongebob's perspective is wrong >_>

since he's square it's easy for people that study perspective to see it.

how can we ever compare naomi and that drawing lol xD, but yeah i guess your style changed so much..

pretty epic! but really kakashi won't win against spongebob.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    You already know I love this.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

I like the dutch angle but everything except kakashi's angle and the tree looks right.
    :0 Perspective perspective.. :\
    I like looking at things and trying to find the vanishing point. Its fun and confusing, but it helps.
    Keep up the good work man. C:

@Gedeon - Thanks.

@Seefy - I admit, I had to look up Dutch angles. I see the mistake now. Whoops.

@Erica - I wanted to give him a "rape face" or his huge, unintelligent grin, but I couldn't get it right. So I stuck with something that I'd expect him to have during a fight.

@Ramiel - I caught the perspective problem about the time I was exporting the picture as a JPG. By then, I had the color down and everything and I was excited that I'd finally finished a picture (first in two months). So I just sent it as it was. And about my style . . .

It hasn't changed a bit. Now I know that I can draw in more than one style, anyway. The picture was originally done on Oekaki, but the window froze and I had to screencap it.

The loli is Naomi Revertere when she's 10. Just because I can't resist drawing cute girls in a horribly sketchy style.

EDIT: Joosh, you ninja'd me. The dutch angle was unintentional. I wasn't actually thinking about perspective AT ALL. I just wanted to get a picture done for the first time in two months. Thanks, though. I did some vanishing point studies earlier this week, so I really should have applied them.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-18-2011 at 09:33 PM.

The right forearm looks shorter compared to the left.
    Good job with the Foreshortening in the arms though.
    Shes really brown/pinkish lol.

pretty nice.

when your drawing in tablet where do you put your left hand? i bet it's on the scroll so you can zoom in out all the time.

it's better if our left hand is in the ctrl+z and space bar all the time, and just zoom once in a while to get good at lining stuffs,

ctrl+z to correct the mistake and space to grab the paper to move it to some place.. that's how professionals draw if you notice watching your favorite artists in youtube.

edit: oh sorry, maybe you are already doing this >_>
    cause i see that the lines of kakashi and spongebob is good enough, just saying unless you don't.. >_>

and yeah i guess the style didn't change at all.. i think that style is cute enough though.
    if I were you, i'll perfect that style before going to other styles,,, well if you really love that style that is.
    i'm not saying you shouldn't go for other style.
    Last edited by ram; 08-19-2011 at 01:05 AM.

@Ramiel - I only ever use my tablet's side keys to change the brush size since I'm not familiar with the keyboard shortcut for it in either Sai or Photoshop. Stopping to think about it interrupts workflow, and I'm used to using my tablet for at least that. I'm not sure exactly where I want to go with style. I love cute stuff, but I want to be versatile enough to get into in art school (if I decide on that) since they don't generally accept people with portfolios full of anime. Apparently anime is an amateur art form and traditional cartoons are more respected (according to something I read about art schools).

@Joosh - Thanks for pointing out the arm thing. I completely missed it. Also, she's really brown/pink because she's a nymph. It might be a little extreme in that picture (I'm really bad with subtleties), but her skin is supposed to be tanned/dark-ish. Still in the "Caucasian" range, but darker than the majority of us.

Also, a guy on another form said he'd pay me to draw faces to fit in RPG Maker for him. So I drew up a sample:

His skin tones are way off, but I'll just learn from it and move on as usual. If I start obsessing over all my mistakes, I'll probably have another 2 months of no activity.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    A tip on coloring: instead of using darker and lighter values of the same color, start using different colors to represent values. For example, a reddish brown works to shade yellow-ish skin. This is because, if you read that color in black&white, it's value is identical to that of a darker yellow.

I want to reinforce what Cyp alluded to. Skin can take on lots of different hues depending on the type of light reflecting off it. That being said, the most important thing you can do is make sure you get the values correct while coloring. If you use photoshop this is pretty easy to do, just create a Saturation layer that will remain on top and fill it with black. This way you can switch "gray scale" mode on and off easy while you work. If you're using SAI, it's a bit more tedious, have to mess with filters etc. and then undo everything after you check. But if the image looks good in grayscale, it has a better chance of reading well in color.

indeed. right about now i'm abandoning my style of coloring and choose to do grayscale mode to get better at shadowing.
    that way i don't have to make to many color palette..

what cype and nisaren said is the best way to understand shadows.