Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    ... GRAH! How can I have an as helpful crit as Ceefy? (I cant that's how!) Anyway, you're right, the profile could use work. For one, she needs lips, and her nose is sort of pushed up at an angle (whch may not actually be a problem, I'm not sure.) Also her arms, her elbows are going out infront of her, and while that's not possible, I think it is once we take the way her arms are bent into consideration. The picture in the top right looks like it needs a bit wider feet. Bottom left looks really good (NICE HAND). Im not sure what to say about the bottom right, but her fingers seem fat.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

@Seefy - Dude. DUDE. THATWASAWESOME. I REALLY needed some long hair references. I was just improvising with Miri. That guy on DA was awesome. I +watched.

@Bacon - Actually, you don't have to do a crit as helpful as Seefy's to be . . . well, helpful. I DID need help on that profile. Like, a lot.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I like that blog for references because it also talks about long hairstyles, too. Usually long hair is depicted as just hanging there, which is lame. D: (Dude, get a Tumblr account. They are AMAZING. It's like a custom Internet newsfeed just for you. Yes, you can have long hair and moe pictures pop up for you all. day. long. Trust me. XD)

I should really look into Tumblr, then!

Akiria. Rough concepts. Her outfit's gonna change, I can say that right out. The rest is a matter of my low skill level, and she'll look better as I get better.

If I were your editor, I'd give a...9/10 for the art. It is extremely good, and beats my art entirely, but after seeing it, I feel like if you can do this much, you can do much more. I think I read in the old forums that you've only been drawing for about 3 or 4 years, right? You are already incredible, and you haven't been drawing for long. You seriously have what it takes to be a manga-ka, and change the future of manga. I hope to see your work more commonly around the site!

It feels awesome to get that kind of feedback. It's a really nice break from this:
    SPOILER! :
    I didn't hate that face, it's just there's flaws everywhere
    What I hate, that's some faces I drew (and I find every one I ever drew very flawy and I'm kinda right but it doesn't feel good ).

Well, continue doing these studies Take your time, we both need patience and practice if we wish to draw wonderful faces from any angle. It's not easy.
    I don't wish to hint these would be bad, I would say they are a bit too sketchy to my liking, you often use a few uncertrain strokes only... The face plane studies are way better what I do, be it Loomis or Kevin Chen (I always mess up my Loomis head studies for some reason. Loomis isn't really one of my favs but has some very useful and clear stuff, I love Bridgman, Kevin Chen and Vilppu).
    When you shade, use your knowledge about the planes of the face.

The last pic... the skull in the bottom left corner has perspective issues (bottom, teeth and eye sockets - they tells very different perspective to me).
    The head in the top has no jaws just like some anime heads... The ear is too much to the front as well and I don't want to say nasty things about eyes. Every beginner is bad with eyes. For example, me, I need to correct them all the time if I don't use a front view.

Tell me if I should shut up... You need practice and I need to do that as well, instead of criticizing everyone and their dogs.
    But shout if you do your best with a head and really want to know what's wrong, I love doing overpaints And I'm ready to look at photos for hours to be sure I do it well. Just no extreme angles, I'm bad with those.

[edit]
    I have my honest critic day. I told someone who gets praises and draws a lot but his improvement is tiny my opinion I hold back for years too, so...

I have to disagree with Klaus Reinbach III, well, "fine" is relative and subjective...
    I don't think your anime/manga style drawings are good. They aren't clean and that style needs that very much. Your line quality isn't good to begin with. And if you can't draw realistically well, you can't draw anime well. Perspective, lighting, anatomy, whatever you need to be good at realism, you need at anime as well. You more or less can get away without much knowledge about the face because they are totally different in anime and anime often don't have a defined light source, just some aesthetical fake shading but even that shows some form and muscles...
    I always said you have a knowledge about human anatomy, both body and face, you can build upon it, but it's still a long way to go.

I will be more gentle next time (you aren't among the ones I know I can be whatever harsh I want) and I hope I didn't make much harm...
    {if you have more selves inside you, it's very bad if they have clashing personalities... OTL}

From Conceptart.org. No matter how good I am, the standards there are so high that a rough "0.5/10" would be more frequent. About half the people there shun anime, and that's a bit dumb, but I find that those who don't are the ones who usually give the best advice.

Source:
    (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=204233)

EDIT: Seefy, I got a Tumblr account. (http://boriol.tumblr.com/)
    Last edited by Matt; 06-05-2012 at 02:14 PM.

ConceptArt.org is a real tough place at times. Especially if you have preconceived notions about what you are doing. A good portion of the people there are extremely talented and even more of them are extremely hard working. They don't pull punches but I think that if you stick with it and really work hard to get better at whatever art style you want they'll cheer you on. It's kind of a tough love thing going on there. Contrast that to DeviantArt or even here to a degree, and it can be a shock when people point out flaws in things that you had considered good.

I found myself torn about joining that site. I come from the opposite background that you do. I grew up drawing realistic stuff, doing still lifes, etc. in my classes. But I like the eastern anime style more now. Eventually, I hope to move my art towards a merger between the two, a semi-realism. I think it would be nice to be able to flip-flop between the two styles depending on my mood or what people want. But I give you a lot of credit for being courageous enough to post your art there. I haven't built up my courage enough to do that.
    Last edited by nisaren; 01-27-2011 at 03:38 PM.

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It feels awesome to get that kind of feedback. It's a really nice break from this:
    SPOILER! :
    I didn't hate that face, it's just there's flaws everywhere
    What I hate, that's some faces I drew (and I find every one I ever drew very flawy and I'm kinda right but it doesn't feel good ).

Well, continue doing these studies Take your time, we both need patience and practice if we wish to draw wonderful faces from any angle. It's not easy.
    I don't wish to hint these would be bad, I would say they are a bit too sketchy to my liking, you often use a few uncertrain strokes only... The face plane studies are way better what I do, be it Loomis or Kevin Chen (I always mess up my Loomis head studies for some reason. Loomis isn't really one of my favs but has some very useful and clear stuff, I love Bridgman, Kevin Chen and Vilppu).
    When you shade, use your knowledge about the planes of the face.

The last pic... the skull in the bottom left corner has perspective issues (bottom, teeth and eye sockets - they tells very different perspective to me).
    The head in the top has no jaws just like some anime heads... The ear is too much to the front as well and I don't want to say nasty things about eyes. Every beginner is bad with eyes. For example, me, I need to correct them all the time if I don't use a front view.

Tell me if I should shut up... You need practice and I need to do that as well, instead of criticizing everyone and their dogs.
    But shout if you do your best with a head and really want to know what's wrong, I love doing overpaints And I'm ready to look at photos for hours to be sure I do it well. Just no extreme angles, I'm bad with those.

[edit]
    I have my honest critic day. I told someone who gets praises and draws a lot but his improvement is tiny my opinion I hold back for years too, so...

I have to disagree with Klaus Reinbach III, well, "fine" is relative and subjective...
    I don't think your anime/manga style drawings are good. They aren't clean and that style needs that very much. Your line quality isn't good to begin with. And if you can't draw realistically well, you can't draw anime well. Perspective, lighting, anatomy, whatever you need to be good at realism, you need at anime as well. You more or less can get away without much knowledge about the face because they are totally different in anime and anime often don't have a defined light source, just some aesthetical fake shading but even that shows some form and muscles...
    I always said you have a knowledge about human anatomy, both body and face, you can build upon it, but it's still a long way to go.

I will be more gentle next time (you aren't among the ones I know I can be whatever harsh I want) and I hope I didn't make much harm...
    {if you have more selves inside you, it's very bad if they have clashing personalities... OTL}

From Conceptart.org. No matter how good I am, the standards there are so high that a rough "0.5/10" would be more frequent. About half the people there shun anime, and that's a bit gay, but I find that those who don't are the ones who usually give the best advice.

Source:
    (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=204233)

EDIT: Seefy, I got a Tumblr account. (http://boriol.tumblr.com/)
    Doesn't those post sound alot like what a certain shaman/mage has been saying? Edit; the spoiler I mean.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Get over yourself, Synnworld. Did you really just post here to say that? Also, ConceptArt.org has a cupboard full of mediocre to just plain bad artists that they hide in the forums/auxiliary pages of the main site. The ones that are extremely talented are the ones they feature on the main page, hence it seems like a highly elite community. Though the knowledge that small percentage of talented people can offer is extremely useful.

Also, I would recommend that you start studying clothing folds right now. You have bodies down pretty okay, but when you draw clothes on them the way the clothes interact with the body is just off and doesn't do your anatomy justice.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Hey, Matt, I was looking at your rocks and I wondered.... did you ever look over the Rock tutorial here in the site? I made landscape tutorials years ago covering grass, trees, and so on that I think will help you out. Btw, a couple of fold tutorials are here too and I recently put up a rock CGing tutorial.

Anyways, looking at your art, you've definitely gotten better in anatomy. I would like to see cleaner images next time instead of doodles. I would like to see how far you've really come with details.