Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Lol yeah, I caught that yayifications too.

Matt, I've gotta say I hate you for improving so much. Her hands and feet are awesome, I think I may have to use those feet as refs sometime.

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    WOW. That makes us even, then. My little brother liked your latest one better than mine.

EDIT: I didn't feel like double posting, so here's some actual lineart. (I actually took the time to do it! Yayifications!)
    Matt, that's settles it. For the sake of my fragile ego we should swap siblings. I'll stuff mine into the biggest DHL box I can find with a pack of skittles and juice box and courier the package to your house. I suggest you do the same, juice flavours can change depending on preference and availability. (mwahahahaha!)

What the... that is some freaking good looking line art! Please tell me how did you go about creating it? R u using SAI? Tablet? I epic fail at lineart. T_T

@Lady Knife - Yup, that's Sai work, with the marker tool. I JUST figured out that the marker makes for a better final pic than the pen does and it's awesome. Probably the best lineart I've ever done. Also, when would you expect the kid? I'll go find a refrigerator box ASAP. (Haha . . . ha . . . MUAHAHAHA!!!)

Now that I have the idea, where did the typical evil laugh even stem from? It's vastly more funny than threatening.

@Ozza - I'd like to say I got lucky with the feet, but the fact is, I've drawn them from the standard side angle so much that it's hard to get them wrong. HOWEVER, I'd recommend using a reference that has all the toes at the right size. And with more than two of them showing, for that matter. I'll probably hide her bottom foot with sand, but I should add some 3D-ness to the showing one.

@Rio - I'd actually never heard of Recettear before you said that, but I Googled it and now I want it. Just downloaded the demo, but can't play it yet. I think I'll try it out during art class. On the Saimoe luck thing, thanks. I'll need it.

EDIT: Finished my 2nd SaiMoe entry. vv
    Last edited by Matt; 04-29-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Half of my part of an art trade with some guy. We're each doing two characters. One done. The character belongs to him . . . with some really long name on DeviantArt.

Nice LOVE the wings and the hair, but her head seems....displaced.....also her hands are a bit too small.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

with the sai moe entry 2, to me her shirt blends into the ocean too much...

plus her whole pose is kinda awkward and her eyes lifeless... not trying 2 be rude but thats the best way to say it

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    SaiMoe Entry 2:-
    It's true about the general picture having too much blue in it. I also tend to do that as well. Consult a good colour wheel if you run out of ideas what colours to match. There are several tutorials I found in the 'big tutorial list' on colouring that I found especially helpful. There's even a link to site giving you colour palette samples. It's super useful.

PS: I didn't show your SaiMoe entry 2 to my sister. I don't think my fragile ego can take it. XD

Demon chick:-
    Woah epic wings. Gedeon said the head and hands things. Either you can fix the head or you can fix her right shoulder. In that kind of pose, her back neck is more exposed, so you can see where the base of the skull / head is joined to the neck, therefore, it shouldn't be joined somewhere in the middle (hope that makes sense). Oh, also love the whooshy hair.

@Lady Knife - Thanks for the feedback. I saw that her shirt blended too much, so I TRIED to make it a little better by adding some lighter blue to the lit edge of it, but it really doesn't help. And as for the other thing, I would never have noticed the problem till you guys pointed it out. Thanks.

@Cake - I don't see critiques as being rude unless it's something like the crap you get for daring to draw anime on ConceptArt.org. So yours was fine. Thanks.

@Gedeon - The hands, I got lazy and didn't want to draw them, so I TRIED to just draw the fingers. They're still too small!

I didn't fix the demon girl, but I added another one. Fixing it probably would have given me art block. Plus, I've been told since I started drawing that it's best to move on instead of lingering on one imperfect picture after submitting it for critique.

Nice job on these, I don't have anything new to add to the critique. However, I wanted to suggest a simple way of making an area to stand out from the background is to make it lighter and the background darker. Just select the area around the girl on the beach and use a the filter to lighten her a little bit. If you're feeling really motivated you could bring it into photoshop and really fiddle with the color balance and brightness/contrast. At least this way you don't feel like you need to do everything over.

good 1