Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

Instead of hitting the smudge tool, why not just look at a few photos of the ocean and rock faces and then try to paint it? It may be a bit harder but it'll most definitely look better. Plus the next time you attempt it, it will be a lot easier.

What nisaren said, or if a real photo seems to be too challenging, looking at screen caps of anime works as well, what you basically wanna do is focus on the lighting and the shading technique that you use. This is probably the easiest way to create a good looking texture by hand. Try using low opacity brushes, and paint from there. Create Layers over top if needed to detail in. Try to stay loose.

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    What DHB (aka Iccy) said. I'm terribly weak with realistic bg colouring so I have no much advice except to say I'm looking forward to seeing that piece finished. It looks promising.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I went on vacation to Florida and the Bahamas. I've been trolling Tumblr. I've been filling out scholarships everyday. And uuuugh, commissionsssss. I am graduating with no sort of job gig, and art is pretty much all I have at the mome. DX (It's like, my whole entire resume, I swear.) Yep, yep, yep. Real Life starts in about 5 weeks for me. D: *subliminal terror*

---

(Not gonna lie--my favorite seascape I've made was accomplished with airbrushes and a Photoshop filter--SHAAAAAAAAME.)

But I'd go with Iccy on his suggestion. Or layer photo textures from stock sites like Mayang and CGTextures if all the hand painting doesn't pan out. >.>

To add some new input, right now all of your lines are really hard, which seems slightly concerning. I know they're just flats, but it seems like you might be setting yourself up for a bit of an elementary trap if you're not careful. I believe you're familiar enough with photography to understand an analogy:

Right now you have really hard crisp lines everywhere (which is good for lineart and stuff sometimes, but perhaps not here). Art somewhat mimics photography as photography captures real life, correct? The human eye can only focus on one field at a time (fore-, middle-, or background). One field will appear really sharp, and the rest will be left in varying degrees of blurriness. Here, the whole image is ultra-sharp, which compromises the artistic theory of the image being a replica of a 3-Dimensional plane. In other words, the focus is on everything, meaning that your fore-, middle-, and background are all on the same plane--your image appears flat.

It's natural for the eye to focus on the subject, which is the angel, so I'd suggest making that your point of focus. You can blur out the horizon in a bit of a haze and definitely be sure to heavily blur the detailed rock in the foreground (which, by the way, has great depth and shape already).

Whew. On from that. (If it made any sense, even.)

Right now the ground is highly saturated, which doesn't make much sense in the context of the night scene. The warm tones in the angel's hair and the rock should be near-eliminated. An easy fix would be to take those layers and desaturate them by at least 50%.

Another thing your should watch out for would be a simple finishing detail. The moon is humongous (which I don't mind), but also keep in mind the backlighting that it will radiate on the outside edges of the figures in the piece.

Definitely one of your best compositions so far, though, so keep going!

I sorta put the cover on hold, but I'm gonna finish it for sure. One question, though. What would desaturating the angel's hair accomplish? I know it should make the picture more unifying, but doesn't a warm tone against all dark tones bring out the contrast more? Or is that a bad thing? I'm not really experienced with composition and such, so sorry if this is a really stupid question.

Here's a car I drew in the school parking lot while I was waiting for a ride:

The more desaturated your lighting, the more desaturated the rest of the colors will be.

Aaaaaaand it's really not my forte to crit vehicles, though I really can't see anything technically wrong with this one xD Keep up the good work!

Oh. Yeah, I'm a noob at lighting. That was all I learned from Art II. Thanks, Kasey.

Here's an Akiria wallpaper:

Perspective on her hand with the arrow and the bow fails. Also, the wings . . . ouch.

The car is looking good so far. I can't really crit much on it cuz I don't do cars and also I don't see any obvious mistakes in it. Good job.
    Also the Akiria pic is cool. Maybe you could make the bg a little less dull by adding some extra stuff cuz just red is a bit dull[what I think] but nevertheless is cool. Keep up the good work >=D.

I think I put in the red subconsciously because of all the violence and bloodshed in Angel Hunters, but it just doesn't fit. Akiria's made up of cooler tones in this picture, so I went back and made a different color background. Still dull, but I'm in the car right now and can't exactly whip out my tablet and do something really nice.

I have a version where I desaturated her hair (YES, I finally understand what Seefy and Kasey meant there!), but I liked this one better. I didn't like the feel of gray-ish hair framing a really young face.

Fabiafidus, after a really, really long time, I finally started your request (I'm so sorry for the delay). This is what it is so far:

Is there anything you'd like changed, or is there anything I missed on either of the girls? I'll be available here, via PM, MSN, or DA if you wanna contact me, because I found that it's pretty crappy to not be able to contact someone you're waiting for a drawing from.

Again, sorry for the delay. I'll start on the re-do of Seefy's after I finish this one (because I didn't give her the quality I promised), and then I'll open request slots.

*There's one upside to delays: my skill increases. So I can do higher quality stuff than I would have done back when you first made the request, like, last year. That said, I promise to finish requests in a timely manner from now on.*
    Last edited by Matt; 04-13-2011 at 03:03 PM.